U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you support Biden's 'smart gun' proposal?
yes, let's move ahead with this James Bond-style tech that is already available 6 17.65%
let's hold off with any mandate, but maybe sometime in the future. 0 0%
no. 25 73.53%
other (please explain below). 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM

2,558 posts, read 853,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
It's simple. It checks your fingerprint and DNA as you hold the trigger. If there is not a match, the gun is electronically prevented from firing. Only the original owner of the gun can fire it. Presumably if the gun were legally sold, it could be reprogrammed for the new owner.
Well, seeing as how my fingerprints won't work on our time clock at work, on a biometric safe I was given, or on any other electronic gadget I've tried, I say NO thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM

531 posts, read 110,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Has your computer ever frozen up on you, or run out of battery, when you were doing something important?
Let's pretend that the lock can't be defeated for a sec. Let's also pretend that all existing firearms disappeared.

I can see requiring inserting a Yubico in the end every month or so, a light could show that you need to do it in a week or something. Any stolen gun bricked within that time period.

It's interesting to think through the problem. It wouldn't help the mass murders even a bit, but might change gun ownership by teens in urban areas.

Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 22 days ago)

3,795 posts, read 674,424 times
I would add that Joe Biden is not some novice here. He's an expert when it comes to guns. He's a longtime shotgun aficionado who owns a 'Beretta' and trained his wife how to shoot for home protection.

Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

11,088 posts, read 5,142,462 times
Quote:
I would add that Joe Biden is not some novice here. He's an expert when it comes to guns. He's a longtime shotgun aficionado who owns a 'Beretta' and trained his wife how to shoot for home protection.
Well, maybe Joe will chime in here on CD, and explain to all of us how a firearm can take a DNA sample, then process it for a match, and do all of this instantly.

Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM

57 posts, read 17,307 times
^ Maybe that's how he's going to cure cancer...but only if he's elected, of course.

Last edited by gcvt; Yesterday at 05:49 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

10,097 posts, read 4,729,914 times
Quote:
And he proposed firing a warning shot which is illegal most of the time. He is an idiot.

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

8,597 posts, read 1,979,435 times
All gun laws are infringements.

And the solution to gun violence is to abolish the military and completely disarm cops and the entire U.S government.

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

32,663 posts, read 26,666,299 times
Quote:
It's simple. It checks your fingerprint and DNA as you hold the trigger. If there is not a match, the gun is electronically prevented from firing. Only the original owner of the gun can fire it. Presumably if the gun were legally sold, it could be reprogrammed for the new owner.

and there in lies the problem with the so called "smart guns". if you and a friend of yours are walking down the street, and find yourselves needing to defend yourselves with a firearm, and only one of you is armed with the "smart gun", and that person is incapacitated, then the other is now dead meat since they cant use the "smart gun".

thank you but please keep your "smart guns" to yourselves, i will stick with my old reliable and usable dumb guns.

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

9,150 posts, read 2,598,217 times
I only have 1 question. How many of the firearms used by his secret service detail use the technology that Uncle Joe wants to impose upon everyone else? Yeah That's what I thought. Typical.

Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM

531 posts, read 110,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Well, maybe Joe will chime in here on CD, and explain to all of us how a firearm can take a DNA sample, then process it for a match, and do all of this instantly.
I'm thinking we need the Biden DNA-o-maticģ for car keys.

Just smudge yer grubby little fingers on the steering wheel, and your government-issued Trabant coughs to life.

This thread did make me think though, does someone make a Yubico lock of any kind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies