U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you support Biden's 'smart gun' proposal?
yes, let's move ahead with this James Bond-style tech that is already available 8 13.56%
let's hold off with any mandate, but maybe sometime in the future. 1 1.69%
no. 47 79.66%
other (please explain below). 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 06:15 AM

4,158 posts, read 1,609,833 times

Advertisements

Creepy/Sleepy Veep Joe is just plain nucking futs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 06:16 AM

30,287 posts, read 16,694,627 times
If consumers want such tech, okay, but in no way should any of it be legislated into existence.
Every gun law is a crime against freedom

Old 08-23-2019, 06:24 AM

10,657 posts, read 6,414,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I'm not a big fan of Joe Biden, as I have often posted in the elections section. But I have to admit that of all the contenders, he has the best approach when it comes to gun violence prevention. He's always been excellent on guns. The 1994 assault weapon ban was actually his brainchild. But now, in contrast to the others, he's moving ahead with a fresh approach: mandate that all guns be "smart" guns.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...out-dna-match/

The smart gun is a gun that can be fired only by its owner. The gun WILL NOT shoot unless a fingerprint and DNA match is confirmed. Biden notes that we already have the technology.

This would virtually eliminate black-on-black gang violence, which conservatives so often bemoan. Most gang weapons are either stolen, or obtained via 'straw' purchase. The gang members would no longer be able to shoot such guns under Biden's plan. A key would be to require that police agencies, who have often been resistant in the past, to adopt the smart guns. Many cops are killed with their own guns; this would put an end to that. What do you think?
In the sci fi movies and books, it seems like it would be a great thing.
Show me though that we have that flawless technology right now. And how is it going to work on one of my $6k custom 1911's ? Or the millions of magazine fed semi auto rifles that are in circulation ?

Old 08-23-2019, 06:28 AM

24,798 posts, read 12,213,412 times
Quote:
It's simple. It checks your fingerprint and DNA as you hold the trigger. If there is not a match, the gun is electronically prevented from firing. Only the original owner of the gun can fire it. Presumably if the gun were legally sold, it could be reprogrammed for the new owner.
And all those sensitive electronics get scrambled due to the shock of the weapon discharging.

Colt tried to have fingerprint ID for their handguns and they were failures due to the aforementioned shocks the weapon produced when discharged.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:29 AM

51 posts, read 5,873 times
"Smart" and Joe Biden do not belong in the same sentence.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:49 AM

30,287 posts, read 16,694,627 times
Quote:
I would add that Joe Biden is not some novice here. He's an expert when it comes to guns. He's a longtime shotgun aficionado who owns a 'Beretta' and trained his wife how to shoot for home protection.
Biden also has his own security detail.
"Self defense for me but none for thee" exclaimed the politician

Old 08-23-2019, 07:19 AM

30,765 posts, read 20,298,301 times
Quote:
It's simple. It checks your fingerprint and DNA as you hold the trigger. If there is not a match, the gun is electronically prevented from firing. Only the original owner of the gun can fire it. Presumably if the gun were legally sold, it could be reprogrammed for the new owner.
OK, why don't I simply bypass that inhibit mechanism, either electronically or mechanically?

I do it all the time at work by entering a special code into the PLCs.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:29 AM

7,190 posts, read 2,606,063 times
From the article (formatting mine, for easier reading):
Quote:
Four things Biden left out:
  1. The “smart gun” in this case was radio-activated by a watch that was paired with the gun. This means anyone who stole the gun and the bracelet could shoot the firearm with no problem.
  2. The gun was only made in .22 LR and costs $1,800.
  3. The “smart gun” in this case was defeated by a man armed with $15 worth of magnets.
  4. Considering all these failures, consumers feared a law in New Jersey would trigger a requirement that dealers could only sell “smart guns,” thereby forcing consumers to purchase an $1,800, radio-activated .22 LR pistol that had been defeated by a guy with a pocket full of magnets.
The article linked is actually clowning Biden because he thinks movie props ad CGI phantasms are a workable reality.

And once again, even if his "all new guns must be James Bond secret weapons built by Q for MI-6" plan could be made real and was put into effect, it does exactly nothing about the 400+ million non-James Bond/Q tech weapons in circulation right now.

Essentially, he is doing his level best to show a)ignorant and b) gullible he is. Is that really how you want to choose you next POTUS? The more ignorant and gullible, the better?

Old 08-23-2019, 10:28 AM

37,934 posts, read 16,406,514 times
Quote:
I'm not a big fan of Joe Biden, as I have often posted in the elections section. But I have to admit that of all the contenders, he has the best approach when it comes to gun violence prevention. He's always been excellent on guns. The 1994 assault weapon ban was actually his brainchild. But now, in contrast to the others, he's moving ahead with a fresh approach: mandate that all guns be "smart" guns.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...out-dna-match/

The smart gun is a gun that can be fired only by its owner. The gun WILL NOT shoot unless a fingerprint and DNA match is confirmed. Biden notes that we already have the technology.

This would virtually eliminate black-on-black gang violence, which conservatives so often bemoan. Most gang weapons are either stolen, or obtained via 'straw' purchase. The gang members would no longer be able to shoot such guns under Biden's plan. A key would be to require that police agencies, who have often been resistant in the past, to adopt the smart guns. Many cops are killed with their own guns; this would put an end to that. What do you think?
" He's always been excellent on guns"

Did Joe Biden Once Advise the Public to Use Shotguns for Self ...

https://www.snopes.com › Fact Checks › Politics
Dec 19, 2018 - Former Vice President Joe Biden once said, "[If] you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door."

"The 1994 assault weapon ban was actually his brainchild." and accomplished absolutely NOTHING!

"The smart gun is a gun that can be fired only by its owner." What about other family members? the wife, children?

Many states do NOT allow under 18 year olds be able to buy a gun. Will this new Idea BAN them from using them? How about11, 12, 13 etc.?

11-Year-Old Boy Shoots Intruder | NBC News - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com › watch
May 2, 2016 - An Alabama boy was home alone when an intruder entered his home and he confronted him with a gun. » Subscribe to NBC News: ...Missing: family ‎| Must include: family

11-year-old protects Talladega home against intruder - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com › watch

Apr 28, 2016 - I shot through the hamper he was carrying,” Chris Gaither said. "It went straight through the back of his leg. He started crying like a little baby.

11-year-old boy fights off home intruder with a machete - The ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com › nation › 2019/06/17 › an-year-old-fough...

Jun 17, 2019 - The 11-year-old had one message for the intruder: "Get a job." ... The intruder threw open the door, pointed a pellet gun at him and “told .... 'I'll call your bluff any day of the week': Ocasio-Cortez rejects Trump quoting her to defend against his impeachment ... The father died shielding them both, family says.

Alabama 11-year-old shoots suspected home invader - Chicago Tribune

https://www.chicagotribune.com › nation-world › ct-alabama-boy-shoots-i...

May 1, 2016 - An 11-year-old Alabama boy says he opened fire with a gun and ... the intruder neared a fence in the family's front yard, the 11-year-old told the ...

11-year-old boy takes on robber with machete; injured ... - ABC News

https://abcnews.go.com › story

Jun 17, 2019 - WATCH 11-year-old boy describes moment he struck alleged robber with machete ... home alone when three people broke into his family's North Carolina residence, ... Hall allegedly picked up a pellet gun he found in the house, took .... Chief Deputy Jamison Sykes defended his agency, echoing Sheriff ...

12-Year-Old Girl Shoots Intruder During Home Invasion - News 9

www.news9.com › story › 12-year-old-girl-shoots-intruder-during-home-i...

Oct 19, 2012 - A 12-year-old girl took matters into her own hands during a home ... She called her mom, Debra St. Clair, who told her to get the family gun, hide in a closet and call 911. ... We need to teach our children to defend themselves.

11-year-old defends himself against home intruder with a machete

https://www.yahoo.com › lifestyle › 11-year-old-defends-himself-home-int...

Jun 17, 2019 - An 11-year-old boy from Mebane, N.C. used a machete to defend himself on ... “He pointed a pellet gun at me that was located in our house.

Given the debate over the 9-year-old with a gun, some examples of ...

https://crimeresearch.org › 2014/08 › given-the-debate-over-the-9-year-ol...

Aug 29, 2014 - The fearless 11-year-old took action when she saw the cougar following .... they broke into the house and got the family's .20 gauge shotgun.

Was a Home Invasion Thwarted by an 11-Year-Old Girl? - Snopes.com

https://www.snopes.com › Fact Checks › Crime

May 2, 2007 - In January 2015, an 11-year-old Michigan girl armed with a shotgun was ... “She was able to defend herself from an intruder and be able to ...
11-year-old who stopped intruder with machete says ... - New York Post

https://nypost.com › 2019/06/19 › 11-year-old-who-stopped-intruder-with...

Jun 19, 2019 - A machete-wielding 11-year-old North Carolina boy who stopped a home invasion all by himself ... into his own hands when a suspect broke into his family's home in Mebane on Friday. ... But Hall put down the weapon as he began to steal Braydon's cellphone, giving the ... And he could defend himself.” ...

I can provide MANY more.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:11 PM

3,222 posts, read 990,682 times
Biden is a complete idiot in regards to firearms or most technical real world items.

"Shotgun" Joe Biden:
"If you want to protect yourself, get a double-barrel shotgun," Biden said. "I said, Jill, if there's ever a problem just walk out on the balcony here ... put that double-barreled shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,"

"You don't need an AR-15. It's harder to aim, it's harder to use, and in fact, you don't need 30 rounds to protect yourself. Buy a shotgun. Buy a shotgun."Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door."

Most people can handle a shotgun a hell of a lot better than they can a semi-automatic weapon in terms of both their aim and in terms of their ability to deter people coming.
We can argue whether that's true or not, but it is no argument that, for example, a shotgun could do the same job of protecting you.
Now, granted, you can come back and say, Well, a machine gun could do a better job of protecting me. No one's arguing we should make machine guns legal."

"There is a whole new sort of group of individuals now...that never hunt at all. But they own guns for one of two reasons -- self-protection, or they just like the feel of that AR-15 at the range," he said. "They like the way it feels. It's like driving a Ferrari, you know."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies