U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you support Biden's 'smart gun' proposal?
yes, let's move ahead with this James Bond-style tech that is already available 8 13.33%
let's hold off with any mandate, but maybe sometime in the future. 1 1.67%
no. 48 80.00%
other (please explain below). 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

10,146 posts, read 4,751,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Biden is a long time gun owner, and gun expert. It was Biden who originally crafted the 1994 assault weapon ban, even though Sen. Dianne Feinstein wound up with all the credit and accolades.

It's hard to know at this point whether Biden just got some bad info, or maybe as an expert, he knows something that the rest of us don't. We have to conclude that the jury is still out on this one.
One of the worst laws ever written, based on looks alone.

He also was behind the "gun free zone" law that has made things worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,139,385 times
I have had that fingerprint technology on my cell phone for 13 months now. It has not worked YET!

There is NO WAY that I want that when facing down a miscreant.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM

9,221 posts, read 2,614,876 times
There are 2 words that really shouldn't be in the same sentence. Biden and smart. If people had followed his advice as VP and fired warning shots in the air, they would have been jailed. That advice came from Biden, the VicePresident and a lawyer.

The finger print gun. Well I can say this, lets make his secret service detail use it first. In fact lets make all security details for all elected reps use it first. WE try it for a few years in the field before we impose it upon the masses. I do mean the very technology he thinks will be an affordable doable solution for John Q Public.

I love my iPhone but that finger print reader screws up if my hands are wet, dirty or sweaty. No doubt it is different technology, but to be safe let's make the Secret Service verify its reliability by requiring all SS agents to only carry firearms with this Biden safety triggers. Do it for like 5 years.

Old Today, 02:04 AM

6,447 posts, read 4,259,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Here is VP Biden coming up with a smart and practical approach that could solve much of gun violence, especially gang violence and shootings of police. Yet the 'gundamentalists' reject it overwhelmingly as seen in the poll.

Why not adopt and use the technology if it's there. It reads your DNA in a split second, and if you're not the true owner, the gun will not fire. If you ARE the true owner, no worries--the gun will fire as normal.
I'll just point out typically to accurately identify someone by DNA takes a minimum of hours (24-72) using today's tech, there's no magic DNA reader available that does it in seconds, and certainly nothing with the number crunching ability to do the comparison that can fit in a handgun lower.

I'm all for it, once it's been field tested by the US Military in the field for a few years without failure, and federal, state, and local police have adopted it too.

There's actually benefits to the military having this tech, and the police, like they can't get shot by their own weapons. Which at least for cops happens far too often.

Further it will work out the kinks, like the readers being over ridden by electronic noise, preventing them being fired, them being confused by typical contaminants like dust, oil, blood (yours or anothers), soaps, moisturizers, mud, etc.

However you're not going to sell me snake oil until its proven to work reliably under conditions it needs to work under, flawlessly every time as expected.

That all said, the huge elephant is how to secure a system when the system is embedded in a device that people have physical access to. You can't have a 'Smart' gun with the biometric interlock remote (off gun), so anyone with some tools can remove it, or reset it.

Old Today, 05:04 AM

770 posts, read 308,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
So, does Biden's security detail use the technology? No? Then it's more do as I say and not as I do rhetoric from creepy Joe.
Bravo!!

Once ALL our elected officials security details start using this technology 100% of the time, maybe... Just maybe, I might look at it, but until then, please keep your stupid ideals to yourself. Seriously, just another case of do as I say, not as I do.

Funny how that works. Case and point. Obama Care. If it was so great why was the President, Obama, the Vice President, both the House and Senate, the Supreme Court, along with all there families and staff members excluded from this “great” government benefit? The true answer is that they, all of our elected officials knew it sucked and didn’t want anything to do with it.

Seriously, I’m happy with my “dumb” guns since I know it will work when I need it the most.

Plus, if you were stupid enough to fall for this “new” technology being pushed by any elected officials, what’s to say that they wouldn’t create some type of “backdoor” technology to access your gun, when they think all civilians need to be locked out... Or logged off from their guns, in the name of public safety during a crisis... Like a Constitutional crisis, when somebody on the Left or Right attempts to seize power... Thus by-passing the Second Amendment??

No I do not fear my government and I never have, but “I” truly believe that the all legal citizens of the United States are the ultimate “Check and Balance” to keep things above board, as directed by the Constitution of the United States.

Again, I’ll stick with my “dumb” guns.

Old Today, 05:09 AM

2,511 posts, read 555,411 times
My phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range has fully automatic dna sensing flux capacitors that also cure cancer through the internet that Al Gore invented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies