U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:05 AM
Status: "beware: jokes about biden are against the TOS" (set 2 days ago)

970 posts, read 175,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
But it's OK for rural people that support republicans to elect a president for the whole country?
rural people from across the country, yes, it makes much more sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:08 AM
Status: "beware: jokes about biden are against the TOS" (set 2 days ago)

970 posts, read 175,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
I'd be perfectly glad to trade with progressives - an amendment to end the electoral college with an amendment to end birthright citizenship.
No, that's not a good deal. I would only get rid of the EC if the deal included very strict limits on the size and scope of the federal govt.

Old Today, 07:23 AM

27,591 posts, read 19,374,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
So as a result of this ruling, states cannot pass laws directing the votes of electoral college electors. This will effectively void numerous laws recently passed in Democrat led states that allocate all electoral votes from their state to whoever the national winner of the popular vote is.

Just so everyone knows, state parties select the electors for their candidate and if their candidate wins, so do their hand-picked electors.

The US Constitution is a sublimely beautiful and magnificent document. What a great ruling. The US Constitution wins again.

And the Democrats are thankfully blocked in their effort to improperly interfere and try to rig our presidential election process.
dims foiled again. that's a win.

Old Today, 07:34 AM

33,671 posts, read 14,188,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Duh, the popular vote within the state is who won the damn state. What some states wanted to do was make the electors vote for the popular vote overall, meaning nationwide no matter who won the state.
That is not what this lawsuit was in regard to, Colorado wanted electoral reps to follow the popular vote in their state and this one single democratic rep voted republican against the popular vote. I'm guessing this is an aberration but it does happen since the states can't control their vote at the national level. The OP wanted to make it into some national progressive conspiracy.

Old Today, 07:38 AM

377 posts, read 41,457 times
Quote:
Can you post a link to the information where the electors voting for the popular state vote came later? I can't see that as a workable system if they didn't. If that was the case then why even have the people vote and just leave it to the electors?
If you apply that logic a little bit more thoroughly, why even have electors? If it's just automatically tied to the popular vote of that state, just award points per every state. Why have a middle man do it?

The answer was that the FF envisioned the electors to be independent voters who can vote their conscience. The popular vote by state was for them to take into consideration but they were never bound by it, until later, many states passed laws. But of course, this ruling calls that into question.

There are a lot of things in the constitution designed to not just allow majority/mob rule to prevail. For example, senators did not used to be elected by the people.

See below:

Quote:
There is no Constitutional provision or Federal law that requires Electors to vote according to the results of the popular vote in their states. Some states, however, require Electors to cast their votes according to the popular vote. These pledges fall into two categories—Electors bound by state law and those bound by pledges to political parties.
https://www.archives.gov/federal-reg.../electors.html

Old Today, 07:51 AM

30,312 posts, read 16,827,648 times
Quote:
I'm not sure about that. I think they have to vote for the winner. It's designed like that. If not then elections could be manipulated by the electors. How would that work anyway? So and so wins the state but the electors vote for someone who got 1% of the vote? I would think that would be illegal since it's subverting the will of the people.
No, this law says they don't. The state cannot force their electors to vote for the 'winner'.

One person could change the entire election based on their personal views.

Interesting.

Old Today, 07:52 AM

30,312 posts, read 16,827,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
rural people from across the country, yes, it makes much more sense
No, it doesn't. Rural people are busy sucking up the tax dollars from the cities.

Old Today, 07:53 AM

377 posts, read 41,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
No, it doesn't. Rural people are busy sucking up the tax dollars from the cities.
Rural people grow the bulk of your food, without them you'd need to import everything so imagine paying 2x or 3x more for groceries.

Old Today, 07:55 AM

10,285 posts, read 8,207,017 times
LOL. The popular vote thing was going nowhere anyway.

Old Today, 07:55 AM

13,309 posts, read 4,568,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
If you apply that logic a little bit more thoroughly, why even have electors? If it's just automatically tied to the popular vote of that state, just award points per every state. Why have a middle man do it?

The answer was that the FF envisioned the electors to be independent voters who can vote their conscience. The popular vote by state was for them to take into consideration but they were never bound by it, until later, many states passed laws. But of course, this ruling calls that into question.

There are a lot of things in the constitution designed to not just allow majority/mob rule to prevail. For example, senators did not used to be elected by the people.

See below:

https://www.archives.gov/federal-reg.../electors.html
I understand what you are saying now. I didn't know that the electors could go against their party which doesn't make any sense to me that is allowed. That could interfere with the process if they all conspired together to not give their party's winner the vote because they were unhappy with the candidate or were bribed or something. I would have thought once you were selected to be the party's elector you had to give the winner your vote. As far as mob rule, I would think that would apply more for the entire nation as in the national popular vote not the state popular since the winner is the winner of that particular state and the object is to win as many states as you can since the states elect the President and not just leave it to a couple mega populated urban areas in different parts of the country. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by Dbones; Today at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or