U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 06:15 AM
 
3,883 posts, read 766,556 times
Reputation: 2750

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
From your own source:

“tenants will still be required to provide proof of employment through tax returns, pay stubs or letters of employment — effectively keeping households without an authorized immigrant or citizen from getting a lease.”
So you think illegals can't provide that? They steal SS numbers. They'd have no problem providing any of that.

In the meantime, Deblasio is making it clear that illegals are welcome - even if it means deserving Americans get pushed out of an apartment in favor of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 06:16 AM
 
16,814 posts, read 14,228,940 times
Reputation: 20728
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Yup, I also think of all the homeless veterans who risked life and limb for this country and are on the streets.

The liberals prefer to take care of completely unvetted illegal aliens, who could be criminals or terrorists, as opposed to actual Americans who have put their lives on the line for this country.
And yet you haven’t posted at all about the current throwing 200k veterans out of the VA application process despite a campaign promise not too. So stop using veterans as a talking point. Because none of you have taken your own party to task for when they fail our veterans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:21 AM
 
5,043 posts, read 5,995,875 times
Reputation: 7375
I’m a middle-class American citizen who has been paying taxes for the past 25yrs. I almost wish I were an immigrant who were here illegally. I’d get free/affordable housing, free food, free healthcare, free education, etc...

The left incentivizes illegals to continue to enter our country. It’s a free ride once they make it across the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:36 AM
 
Location: New Orleans, La. USA
5,955 posts, read 2,866,152 times
Reputation: 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
There are tens of thousands of homeless in NYC, along with thousands more elderly Americans on low fixed incomes, so what does UltraLib Deblasio do to help them? He makes them compete with illegal aliens for the affordable housing units!

https://nypost.com/2019/08/21/illega...ing-lotteries/
"The new rules will allow applicants to provide proof they pay their rent on time instead of submitting for a formal credit check."

"Credit check requirements often adversely impact African American and Latino applicants."

https://nypost.com/2019/08/21/illega...ing-lotteries/


In the past formal credit checks were stopping black and Latino Americans from getting access to affordable housing, and these new rules were designed to give more black and Latino Americans access to affordable housing.

The officials that created these new rules "acknowledged the change also would make it easier for undocumented immigrants to apply." But republicans manipulate and spin this issue saying "democrats are straight up giving illegal immigrants affordable housing."

In reality democrats are making it easier for black and Latino Americans to get access to affordable housing, and a side effect of this rule change is illegal immigrants also getting better access to affordable housing.


But improving access to public housing is not a republicans concern. The republicans only plan for affordable housing is to give corporations and the richest 1% huge tax cuts, and then cut funding for affordable housing.

The Trump tax cuts gave the richest 1% and corporations $2.2 trillion dollars in tax cuts, and then Trump's budget cuts funding for affordable housing by $9.6 billion dollars.

https://nlihc.org/resource/president...using-programs

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#37e300a665b9
https://time.com/4993389/tax-cuts-your-children/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:48 AM
 
3,883 posts, read 766,556 times
Reputation: 2750
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
"The new rules will allow applicants to provide proof they pay their rent on time instead of submitting for a formal credit check."

"Credit check requirements often adversely impact African American and Latino applicants."

https://nypost.com/2019/08/21/illega...ing-lotteries/


In the past formal credit checks were stopping black and Latino Americans from getting access to affordable housing, and these new rules were designed to give more black and Latino Americans access to affordable housing.

The officials that created these new rules "acknowledged the change also would make it easier for undocumented immigrants to apply." But republicans manipulate and spin this issue saying "democrats are straight up giving illegal immigrants affordable housing."

In reality democrats are making it easier for black and Latino Americans to get access to affordable housing, and a side effect of this rule change is illegal immigrants also getting better access to affordable housing.


But improving access to public housing is not a republicans concern. The republicans only plan for affordable housing is to give corporations and the richest 1% huge tax cuts, and then cut funding for affordable housing.

The Trump tax cuts gave the richest 1% and corporations $2.2 trillion dollars in tax cuts, and then Trump's budget cuts funding for affordable housing by $9.6 billion dollars.

https://nlihc.org/resource/president...using-programs

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#37e300a665b9
https://time.com/4993389/tax-cuts-your-children/
Wait a sec. You are saying the credit checks adversely affect blacks and Latinos? The only explanation for that would be ...their credit reports aren't as good.

Why shouldn't a landlord be able to find out if a potential renter is responsible with money? I owned a business, and before I took on a new client, I did a check.

Furthermore, if the libs in NY set up a new system that makes it easier for illegals to get subsidized housing over Americans, then it is a BAD system that should not go forward. The attitude seems to be, based what you're saying, is "oh, well, as long as we make it easier for blacks and Latinos with bad credit to get in, it's no big deal if illegals get in as a result - and we therefore are encouraging more illegal immigration."

Unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Barrington
46,866 posts, read 34,467,988 times
Reputation: 15564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
There are tens of thousands of homeless in NYC, along with thousands more elderly Americans on low fixed incomes, so what does UltraLib Deblasio do to help them? He makes them compete with illegal aliens for the affordable housing units!

https://nypost.com/2019/08/21/illega...ing-lotteries/
The Point in Time homeless count, mandated by HUD, estimated there were 3,675 homeless people in NYC out of a total population of 8.6 million.

The Count does not require homeless people to prove citizenship. About 60% are black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Pyongjang
5,687 posts, read 2,404,875 times
Reputation: 3871
Affordable housing = More expensive housing for someone else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Barrington
46,866 posts, read 34,467,988 times
Reputation: 15564
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Meanwhile the middle class in NYC need to drop $2k a month for studio apartments due to artificially restricted supply.
If the Middle Class chooses to live in Manhattan, for sure.

Maybe Trump and other property owners could forgo profits and reduce rents and prices to well below current market values on his properties, eh.

NYC has a huge Puerto Rican population who identify as Hispanic/ Latino.

The undocumented population in NYC are more likely to come from all over the world, than south of the border.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; Today at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:01 AM
 
11,801 posts, read 8,573,230 times
Reputation: 7224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Wait a sec. You are saying the credit checks adversely affect blacks and Latinos? The only explanation for that would be ...their credit reports aren't as good.

Why shouldn't a landlord be able to find out if a potential renter is responsible with money? I owned a business, and before I took on a new client, I did a check.

Furthermore, if the libs in NY set up a new system that makes it easier for illegals to get subsidized housing over Americans, then it is a BAD system that should not go forward. The attitude seems to be, based what you're saying, is "oh, well, as long as we make it easier for blacks and Latinos with bad credit to get in, it's no big deal if illegals get in as a result - and we therefore are encouraging more illegal immigration."

Unacceptable.
Many low income minorities have no credit cards, do not own a house or car.

How can you do a credit check on them? So it's ok with you for those people to be locked out of low income housing. All the city is doing is finding another way to establish they pay their bills on time.

Was this the Republican Party taking point yesterday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Barrington
46,866 posts, read 34,467,988 times
Reputation: 15564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
My answer is to stop prioritizing them over American citizens, and make them ineligible for housing subsidies. Maybe they'd stop breaking our immigration laws if Dems stopped enticing them to do so with taxpayer benefits.
This is a lottery.

One criteria for eligibility for the lottery was credit score.

Rent delinquencies do not get reported to the credit score companies.

The change focuses on a documented history of paying rent on time, instead of credit score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top