Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 08:39 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,194 times

Advertisements

Koch was the boogeyman of the left. Like Soros is the boogeyman of the right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 08:45 AM

19,835 posts, read 12,090,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I think it's funny that people, like Vegabern, think the Kochs are the only billionaires who influence politics.

David Koch dying doesn't get rid of Buffet, Gates, Murdoch et al. Doesn't get rid of corporatism, cronyism, K-Street, global banking cartels, etc.

Just one guy, and if politics has shown us anything, it is that regardless of how the pieces on the board get shuffled around, the game remains exactly the same.

For all the frothing of the mouth by the rabid leftists over the Koch brothers, they seem to ignore the power and manipulation by Soros. The KB pale in comparison to Soros yet the greatest hypocrites ignore him.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:46 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,011 times

Old 08-23-2019, 08:50 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,233,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
The Koch brothers were one of the biggest pushers for open borders, maybe only Soros is worse. I won't be crying about this, his entire agenda was turn America into the world's business center where being an American means nothing and all that matters is making $$$. Well f*ck that.
You are correct. Many on the Right rail against Clinton for NAFTA but the Koch brothers were right along with them. Clinton had big business and money support so he didn't have to fear immediate retaliation for selling out American workers. People like Koch see America as a hub for big business and that's it. Thinking along party lines only results in further scr@wing by these types, both sides support it.

They don't care about your cultural issues, you concern for housing prices, or middle class pay. They are old school industrial giants that would step on their employees to make a buck without hesitation if it were not for labor laws.

We don't see Big industrial, win at all cost, be damn the worker types in the public anymore (think, Ford, Vanderbilt's, Carnegie) but they still dictate issues in America with their wealth and contributions.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:14 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I think it's funny that people, like Vegabern, think the Kochs are the only billionaires who influence politics.

David Koch dying doesn't get rid of Buffet, Gates, Murdoch et al. Doesn't get rid of corporatism, cronyism, K-Street, global banking cartels, etc.

Just one guy, and if politics has shown us anything, it is that regardless of how the pieces on the board get shuffled around, the game remains exactly the same.
It also doesn't get rid of his brother, Charles Koch.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:21 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,942,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
"I never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.”

-Mark Twain
That's a fake Twitter meme, not a Twain quote.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:21 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,398,243 times
So, David Koch was what some people call a Liberal Republican?

Old 08-23-2019, 09:23 AM

181 posts, read 82,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/23/polit...ead/index.html

I hope a few people can finally start thinking for themselves.

Sad. He was an American hero.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:27 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,451,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Koch seemed like a force for positive change and was a patriot.
He donated a lot of money to Public Broadcasting, I'll give him credit for that. Likely there will be more for that at his bequest. A good deserving cause.

But the Koch brothers are largely responsible for turning the Republican party away from being concerned about the climate, in favor of their petrochemical financial interests. I don't call that patriotic, I call that self-interested manipulation of the public forum.

Well, as it is said "you can't take it with you", and when we go to that Great Beyond our pockets are empty (someone makes sure of that). All of that propaganda and manipulation of public policy he paid for will avail him nothing any longer, but it is sure to cause his descendants a great deal of woe.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:29 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,927,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

Most Americans don't believe in anything, they only care about themselves and their family in the narrowest terms. How do we enrich our lives they think.

Not true. Millions of Americans care about humane treatment of those seeking asylum in our country. They care about providing a path to citizenship for the "Dreamers". Not because it enriches our lives, but because we think it's right.

Many people care about protecting the unborn. Others care about preserving reproductive choice for women. Either way, not for their personal enrichment.

Tell all the people who volunteer to feed the homeless, build houses with Habitat for Humanity, befriend the mentally challenged, teach Sunday School, etc that they don't believe in anything.

I'm in a relatively high income bracket. I could call for more big tax cuts, to hell with the national debt, slash funding for welfare, environmental protection and infrastructure. That would enrich me personally. But I guess I care about the future of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies