Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2019, 02:54 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hmm. Nope.

I agreed with everything he said. If you are looking for a China lover, go see Joe Biden. He's happy to bend over to them like Obama.
What authority does the President have to tell private companies how to conduct business?

You do realize that's a communist idea, right?

Old 08-23-2019, 02:55 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
1st sentence is absolutely true. But with that simple logic, during WW11 ( or) it would be fine by you for american companies to make & sell ammunition to the enemy.
As was done all over the place.

If you want just some idea of this, in WWI Germans paid a royalty for the artillery fuses to Vickers for every shell they fired AT THE BRITISH.........

Perhaps you don't get that war is a racket...Ford factories were churning out Trucks for the Wermarcht all through WWII.

Lots of royalties paid for most weapons all over the world.

In WWII:
"One odd occurence was, due to Pre-war cartel arrangements between Vickers and Krupp, after WWI, Krupp sued Vickers for Patent Licence infringement, ( a Fuze used by Vickers in a 3 inch (18 pdr) British shell was of Krupp design) so that for every fused shell which killed German Soldiers, was owed Krupp a royalty of 1 shilling or so. The case went on for several years, and Krupp finally won (in a British Court)…and Vickers paid up."

Better some up with some simpler logic...that has a degree of truth to it.

1,022 posts, read 739,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Companies don't have a nationality. People have a nationality.

Corporations by their very nature are machines. They respect no borders and no principals beyond 'shareholder value'. Privately held enterprises generally take a similar tack, prioritizing the owner's needs first over any other concern.

Trump can bark like a junkyard dog, but he can't make companies in a free market economy do as he says that way.
True. That's why I believe he just wants them to.

Like as if you can get the whole school yard together, the bully will run away

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
I didn't know a president had legal authority to 'order' American companies to stop doing business with another country.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:56 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

The Chinese success these days is mostly due to their own massive r&d and their hard work. Many Chinese work 60 hours a week.
I could attest to that, I see it first hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You've always been one here to want to see the United States and Americans fail at what they do. So this seems to fit.
You are free to post any examples you find, you won't find any.

<crickets>

Typical, you people make up stuff.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
What authority does the President have to tell private companies how to conduct business?

You do realize that's a communist idea, right?
Even worse....totalitarian, authoritarian and totally bent on destruction.

Communism, at least in the pure form, was supposed to help people...although you are correct that they would make the big decisions about massive industrialization. BUT, if Commie Russia didn't import our weapons systems they'd be speaking German.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
As was done all over the place.

If you want just some idea of this, in WWI Germans paid a royalty for the artillery fuses to Vickers for every shell they fired AT THE BRITISH.........

Perhaps you don't get that war is a racket...Ford factories were churning out Trucks for the Wermarcht all through WWII.

Lots of royalties paid for most weapons all over the world.

In WWII:
"One odd occurence was, due to Pre-war cartel arrangements between Vickers and Krupp, after WWI, Krupp sued Vickers for Patent Licence infringement, ( a Fuze used by Vickers in a 3 inch (18 pdr) British shell was of Krupp design) so that for every fused shell which killed German Soldiers, was owed Krupp a royalty of 1 shilling or so. The case went on for several years, and Krupp finally won (in a British Court)…and Vickers paid up."

Better some up with some simpler logic...that has a degree of truth to it.
Also, those that supported this country worked as a team, gathering scrap metal etc.
Thousands and thousands of women joined the work force doing every & any necessary thing with one purpose. To benefit this country ONLY.

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
I think he only wants American companies to come together and support America. (a lot of power there)

Then why doesn't he say that?

"I call upon all American companies to support our country by looking for alternatives to China". Easy.

But no. We get "you are hereby ordered to........." Who does he think he is, the Fuehrer?

Quote:
True. That's why I believe he just wants them to.

Like as if you can get the whole school yard together, the bully will run away
Trump being the Bully and virtually everyone else, including me...being part of the school yard.

But Trump was already licked...by a guy with his hands tied behind his back. So Trump is trying to throw us all into the path of his loses.

I don't think it is gonna happen but I am glad I converted at least a decent amount to cash. Of course, cash sucks too if we have a madman at the helm.

The Russians and others (even the Chinese) will buy Condos and keep Trump in $$. I don't think the rest of us can claim the same.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:00 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,366,655 times
Trump tweeted in March 2018 that trade wars are "good and easy to win" ...

When does the "good" and "easy" start?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies