U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2019, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Up North
4,927 posts, read 1,273,260 times
Reputation: 2884

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
We get it, you want God to rule the court and the country.
No one is supposed to "rule" the Court. It's there to enforce the law, not twist it to their communist agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2019, 11:42 AM
 
67,475 posts, read 31,152,911 times
Reputation: 8888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
No one is supposed to "rule" the Court. It's there to enforce the law, not twist it to their communist agenda.
Correct. SCOTUS is there to support and defend the US Constitution. Way too many times, liberal justices have violated their sworn oath to do so.

We are just starting to see the correction after Trump's 2 SCOTUS appointments with the recent SCOTUS ruling overturning Williamson County v. Hamilton that reinstated 4th and 5th Amendment property rights in Knick v. Township of Scott.

Of course, RBG was on the wrong side of that issue, voting instead to maintain the continuing violation of 4th and 5th Amendment property rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 11:45 AM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,599 posts, read 4,422,071 times
Reputation: 8141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
We get it, you want God to rule the court and the country.
Conservatives cannot live with the fact that the founders set up separation of church and state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 11:47 AM
 
67,475 posts, read 31,152,911 times
Reputation: 8888
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Conservatives cannot live with the fact that the founders set up separation of church and state.
SCOTUS is there to support and defend the US Constitution. Way too many times, liberal justices have violated their sworn oath to do so.

We are just starting to see the correction after Trump's 2 SCOTUS appointments with the recent SCOTUS ruling overturning Williamson County v. Hamilton that reinstated 4th and 5th Amendment property rights in Knick v. Township of Scott.

Of course, RBG was on the wrong side of that issue, voting instead to maintain the continuing violation of 4th and 5th Amendment property rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 11:48 AM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
9,803 posts, read 8,221,815 times
Reputation: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
No one is supposed to "rule" the Court. It's there to enforce the law, not twist it to their communist agenda.


But twisting it to the conservative agenda, like the ridiculous Citizens United decision, that's A-OK. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Boston
8,856 posts, read 2,608,289 times
Reputation: 6288
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
If the GOP moves forward with confirming a SCOTUS appointment during an election year, they absolutely and unarguably are hypocrites.


thank your good friend Harry Reid for changing the rules.

in the immortal words of our Senate Minority Leader, Mitch McConnell --

“You’ll regret this, and you may regret this a lot sooner than you think,” the Kentucky Republican said on the Senate floor at the time. (2014)

“Unfortunately, Senate Democrats bought what Senator Reid was selling — but buyer’s remorse arrived with lightning speed,” McConnell continued. “In 2017, we took the Reid precedent to its logical conclusion, covering all nominations up to and including the Supreme Court.”

“So this is the legacy of the procedural avalanche Democrats set off: Justice Neil Gorsuch, Justice Brett Kavanaugh,” McConnell said. “The consequences of taking Senator Reid’s advice will haunt liberals for decades.”


Truer words were never spoke Leader McConnell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 12:06 PM
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
13,252 posts, read 6,815,918 times
Reputation: 12893
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
If the GOP moves forward with confirming a SCOTUS appointment during an election year, they absolutely and unarguably are hypocrites.


By your logic, Democrats would be hypocrites if they didn't demand that the Senate hold a vote on any nomination put forward by President Trump during an election year

Something tells me, however, that your argument for hypocrisy only goes one way

Still, as I mentioned before, Mitch McConnell said that he wasn't going to hold a vote in 2016 so that the American people via the next president could decide. We had a lame duck president at the time. Today, we have an incumbent president running for reelection. The two are not the same. Still, if you want to argue that they are the same, I'd also expect you to call Democrats out for their hypocrisy as they will now demand that the vacancy NOT be filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 12:07 PM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
9,803 posts, read 8,221,815 times
Reputation: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
thank your good friend Harry Reid for changing the rules.

in the immortal words of our Senate Minority Leader, Mitch McConnell --

“You’ll regret this, and you may regret this a lot sooner than you think,” the Kentucky Republican said on the Senate floor at the time. (2014)

“Unfortunately, Senate Democrats bought what Senator Reid was selling — but buyer’s remorse arrived with lightning speed,” McConnell continued. “In 2017, we took the Reid precedent to its logical conclusion, covering all nominations up to and including the Supreme Court.”

“So this is the legacy of the procedural avalanche Democrats set off: Justice Neil Gorsuch, Justice Brett Kavanaugh,” McConnell said. “The consequences of taking Senator Reid’s advice will haunt liberals for decades.”


Truer words were never spoke Leader McConnell.


Not my friend, and I've never once claimed it was "against the rules".


IF, and it's a big if, the Repubs in the Senate ever hold confirmation hearings during an "election year" - they will be massive and demonstrable hypocrites. Not that I expect any differently, but will always hope for better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 12:09 PM
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
13,252 posts, read 6,815,918 times
Reputation: 12893
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
But twisting it to the conservative agenda, like the ridiculous Citizens United decision, that's A-OK. Right?
Why not? Do you understand what a corporation is? Fundamentally, a corporation is nothing more than a group of people who have come together for some common (mostly for business) purpose. Why do you think people lose their First Amendment rights simply because they are acting as a group instead of as individuals

The only tragedy with Citizens United is that it wasn't a 9-0 decision against the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 12:09 PM
 
Location: East Lansing, MI
9,803 posts, read 8,221,815 times
Reputation: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
By your logic, Democrats would be hypocrites if they didn't demand that the Senate hold a vote on any nomination put forward by President Trump during an election year

Something tells me, however, that your argument for hypocrisy only goes one way

Still, as I mentioned before, Mitch McConnell said that he wasn't going to hold a vote in 2016 so that the American people via the next president could decide. We had a lame duck president at the time. Today, we have an incumbent president running for reelection. The two are not the same. Still, if you want to argue that they are the same, I'd also expect you to call Democrats out for their hypocrisy as they will now demand that the vacancy NOT be filled.


Yes, that would be hypocritical and I would happily call it out if it happened.


As to the rest of your post, I've already covered it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top