U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2019, 05:04 PM

8,115 posts, read 2,867,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm not going to wish anything bad for RGB. I hope she recovers from her cancer. It's clear however at '86 that she might be at the end of her time.

What IS sad however is that she ends her tenure in the Supreme Court with one purpose in mind. To outlive the current Republican President. That is certainly a sad and sorry state of life. Instead of enjoying retirement, her vanity won't let her move on so the next generation can take over. It's like another 80 year old in the Democrat party clinging to the hope that he's finally going to be nominated because he outlived all the other contenders.
Try heroic. More of an apt description when one sacrifices for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 05:11 PM

19,658 posts, read 7,779,221 times
I hope she makes it, but her quantity of issues is alarming.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:23 PM

34,633 posts, read 14,531,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm not going to wish anything bad for RGB. I hope she recovers from her cancer. It's clear however at '86 that she might be at the end of her time.

What IS sad however is that she ends her tenure in the Supreme Court with one purpose in mind. To outlive the current Republican President. That is certainly a sad and sorry state of life. Instead of enjoying retirement, her vanity won't let her move on so the next generation can take over. It's like another 80 year old in the Democrat party clinging to the hope that he's finally going to be nominated because he outlived all the other contenders.
She could have retired under Obama but refused, she likes what she does and her work keeps her going. No worse than presidents asking justices to retire under their watch not because of performance, just because they want their pick. There are 4 justices 70 and over counting RBG but you never know as was the case with Scalia.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:35 PM

16,849 posts, read 17,044,582 times
Oh my, that is too bad..............I wonder if the Right will cheer loudly when Ruth retires, kinda taking a cue from the Left's cackling and cheering about the passing of Reagan and David Koch?????

Old 08-23-2019, 06:54 PM

3,224 posts, read 3,148,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Oh my, that is too bad..............I wonder if the Right will cheer loudly when Ruth retires, kinda taking a cue from the Left's cackling and cheering about the passing of Reagan and David Koch?????
Or the lefts cheering when Scalia passed. At the same time they were cheering they were also wishing and hoping Thomas was next. The left is disgusting.

The fact is none of Trumps appointments have proven to be right wing activists who have abolished abortion rights, gay marriage, or rolling back civil rights in the slightest. The only activist judges on the bench are from the lefts own appointments.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:55 PM

13,608 posts, read 6,523,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
America as a free secular republic depends on her outliving this President.

If she wants to step down by all means she should. She shouldn't be pressured by anybody to keep serving if she doesn't want to. I do know that if I was in her position, I'd be doing the same thing she is.
Good grief! Get a grip!

As I said to you previously---leave the poor woman alone. She's been through a lot. She doesn't need pressure from people like you who believe this nonsense.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:04 PM

11,890 posts, read 4,364,862 times
Hopefully, when the time comes, we can all simultaneously honor her public service, mourn her passing, and celebrate President Trump's appointment to replace her.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:14 PM

19,376 posts, read 9,941,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Try heroic. More of an apt description when one sacrifices for others.
By heroic, you mean forcing people to pay for other’s expenses.

That’s her entire ideology- slavery.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:21 PM

52,978 posts, read 42,623,013 times
At this point you bunch of ghouls can all just relax. She's going to live long enough that the democrats will be able to stall any replacement, just like the republicans did....and then whomever wins the presidency in 2020 gets to pick their replacement.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:22 PM

15,976 posts, read 13,694,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Rolling back marriage equality and a woman's right to choose are a core component of the GOP's platform and are a major reason conservatives are so excited for Trump to pick a replacement for RBG.
At least Republican efforts to ban abortion with their bills are sometimes so extreme that some pro life groups can't support them. Neither can Baptist and Catholic leaders.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-23-2019 at 07:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies