U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

27,606 posts, read 19,381,928 times

Advertisements

lolz.

"Technologies for abusive language detection are being developed and applied with little consideration of their potential biases. We ex-amine racial bias in five different sets of Twitter data annotated for hate speech and abusive language. We train classifiers on these datasets and compare the predictions of these classifiers on tweets written in African-American English with those written in Standard American English. The results show evidence of systematic racial bias in all datasets, as classifiers trained on them tend to predict that tweets written in African-American English are abusive at substantially higher rates. If these abusive language detection systems are used in the field they will therefore have a disproportion-ate negative impact on African-American social media users."

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1905.12516.pdf

and another study.

Google's Artificial Intelligence Hate Speech Detector Is 'Racially Biased,' Study Finds
Quote:
Google created an artificial intelligence algorithm in 2016 meant to monitor and prevent hate speech on social media platforms and websites. However, the machine learning tool may be having the opposite outcome as it seems to be biased against black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

30,356 posts, read 15,746,630 times
We can never have robot cops, because unless logic is programmed out of them, they'll be considered racist.

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

5,379 posts, read 3,070,854 times
*AI then quits in frustration and decides to become a photographer..

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

1,513 posts, read 341,234 times
AI is racist. Time for mandatory diversity training, Mr. Robot.

Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

27,606 posts, read 19,381,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
*AI then quits in frustration and decides to become a photographer..
heh, i wouldn't blame it.

my guess is it has something to do with exorbitant use of the n-word.

Quote:
According to the study, the use of the "n-word" online used by African-Americans was flagged even though its use is culturally more acceptable and a term often used in AAVE as a non-hate speech by other African- Americans. However, there are instances where the "n-word" is used in hateful terms and the algorithm is currently unable to tell the difference at this time.

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

5,379 posts, read 3,070,854 times
Anyone remember when they put an AI on Twitter so it can learn from humans and it became racist as a result?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...chatbot-racist

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

9,166 posts, read 2,598,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Anyone remember when they put an AI on Twitter so it can learn from humans and it became racist as a result?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...chatbot-racist
My son is adopted, but he is my son through and through. He once said to me "Pops, if you weren't racist before, you would be after watching CNN." This was during the Katrina coverage. He was 14 or 15 at the time. His point wasn't that the black people in the flood zone were bad, it was CNN intentionally showing the worst of them.

He is the only one of my children who argues with me. He is the only one who calls me pops. My daughters call me dad. He also just calls out of the blue to talk for an hour or so a at random. Great kid.

I can't help but wonder how you would program an AI and not have be racist against anyone but other AI's. People suck.

Old Today, 01:03 AM

6,412 posts, read 4,247,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
lolz.

"Technologies for abusive language detection are being developed and applied with little consideration of their potential biases. We ex-amine racial bias in five different sets of Twitter data annotated for hate speech and abusive language. We train classifiers on these datasets and compare the predictions of these classifiers on tweets written in African-American English with those written in Standard American English. The results show evidence of systematic racial bias in all datasets, as classifiers trained on them tend to predict that tweets written in African-American English are abusive at substantially higher rates. If these abusive language detection systems are used in the field they will therefore have a disproportion-ate negative impact on African-American social media users."

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1905.12516.pdf

and another study.

Google's Artificial Intelligence Hate Speech Detector Is 'Racially Biased,' Study Finds
One of the issues I've seen in training sets and algorithmic outcomes in 'AI' (which is just a buzzword, none are particularly intelligent). Is that they're often unbiased. However because humans evaluate the outcome of the algorithm, we're not unbiased therefore perceive the algorithm as biased if it does not produce results we consider unbiased with our inherent biases.

Example if we take 1000 posts from 1000 Twitter users and they are posted by people selected to mirror US demographics of race. You would expect that the number of racist posts would fall 60% white, 18% Hispanic/Latino, 13% Black, 5% Asian (ballpark general, will not sum to 100%). However if it does not, that does not mean that the algorithm is racist, for instance if white ethnicities have 70% of posts considered racist, it would not be a surprise to many people, because it's commonly believed that whites are more racist. However if we discover 20% of posts considered racist are from black ethnicities, it may be considered a surprise to many people. However again it doesn't mean that the algorithm is racist, it's just applying a consistent filter across ethnicities.

It can be solved by selecting the "correct" algorithm through quick first pass analysis. However you have to ask the question, if you need to apply different criteria to different posts that are determined to be from people of different ethnic backgrounds, are you not inherently holding people to different standards based on the perception of ethnicity? If so isn't that textbook racism?

Old Today, 01:25 AM

13,024 posts, read 4,014,733 times
Seems like humans are applying the anti-white racist theory of disparate outcome/impact theory-if anything produces a negative outcome for non-whites compared to whites then it must be evidence of bias or racism.

White people can only have a worse outcome and never have a better outcome unless there is unfairness. Because we're all exactly the same and will have the same outcomes except when whites are being lazy or unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or