U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 03:50 PM

24,703 posts, read 12,189,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Besides moral issues to how animals are raised and slaughtered by meat companies...there are efficiency issues that tie into pollution and land use.

The world's population is growing. America's population is growing. We need more and more food.

Plants to eat are simply more efficient and cleaner for the environment than meat.

30% of the earth's landmass is now used to either raise animals for meat or for feed for those animals.

70% of all grain grown are not for humans, but to feed animals for slaughter.

80% of all deforested land within the rainforest is for cattle.

Jump for soy!

Holy Cow!!!

Protect the Planet With a Vegetarian Diet - ChooseVeg.in

I am not saying you all must become vegetarians...and NO...you are NOT evil if you eat meat....but wouldn't it help so many things if we reduced our meat consumption even if just a little bit....each doing our part? I think we can make a difference...yes!

For humor:
Eating nothing but rabbit food does strange and uncomfortable things to my colon, usually relieved by farting mightily and continuously.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:53 PM

568 posts, read 118,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

No one is saying people should stop eating meat (or every few). However, eating more efficiently is yet another one of those things which is win-win-win. My meat-loving cousin who was born the same week as I died 2 years back from colon cancer.
Oddly enough, the colorectal cancer rate in Japan is higher than the US, and the stomach cancer rate is *way* higher. Anecdata is a tricky thing.

OTOH, according to one paper: "US-born Japanese men experienced incidence rates of colorectal cancer twice as high as foreign-born Japanese men and about 60% higher than those of US-born white men."

...so maybe it's baked in the cake.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:55 PM

6,685 posts, read 4,658,369 times
Soy isnít an option for many since itís one of the most prevalent food allergies. Iím not a red meat eater, but having a soy allergy means poultry, eggs, pork, fish and seafood are going to continue to be part of my regular diet. Yeah, yeah I know I could eat beans for protein instead but lifeís too darn short to subsist on something you have to choke down.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:01 PM

16,362 posts, read 4,308,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Oddly enough, the colorectal cancer rate in Japan is higher than the US, and the stomach cancer rate is *way* higher. Anecdata is a tricky thing.

OTOH, according to one paper: "US-born Japanese men experienced incidence rates of colorectal cancer twice as high as foreign-born Japanese men and about 60% higher than those of US-born white men."

...so maybe it's baked in the cake.
You'd have to do more than one study.

Since they live about 5 years longer on average than Americans (that is MASSIVE, especially while spending well less than 1/2 what we do on health care), there must be something to a better diet.

From one study:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5350596/

"Lifestyle factors such as consuming less green leafy vegetables, being underweight, smoking, not consuming alcoholic beverages and being physically inactive were found to be related to poor survival."

"Rectal cancer patients tended to eat more meat and less green leafy vegetables"

Living longer means they have more chance of getting it, of course! But given the mortality rates of the population, they are getting an extra 4-5 years.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:04 PM

9,012 posts, read 7,844,633 times
I eat meat every day. I love chicken, pork chops, ham hamburgers, beef roast, ice cream and cheese. The Bible says its all Ok. So does my cardiologist. I've eaten the same diet my whole life. I'm 66 and had an angiogram recently. D says my arteries are clean as a whistle. This global warming stuff is pure BS. I have no intention of changing my diet, ever.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:12 PM

5,326 posts, read 3,802,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'll continue to eat meat regardless of stupid liberal policies and propaganda.
Same here.

No amount of Burger King marketing about their soy burgers or tofu burgers or solyent green burgers are going to change my mind. So keep spending your money BK.

When the world - including the United States - pressures China and India into reducing the crap their spew into the air we can talk. Until then keep slamming down your 10oz soda from your paper straw and leave me alone.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:43 PM

11,225 posts, read 4,966,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Enjoy those GMOs.
What do you think your animals are eating, in much larger quantities?

As for the animals themselves:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.2792628

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 08-23-2019 at 09:52 PM..

Old 08-23-2019, 09:52 PM

2,598 posts, read 3,471,532 times
I hate the taste of most vegetables...I eat a lot of fruit but not vegies...and I will never be giving up meat. Sorry but I support PETA...People for Eating Tasty Animals.

And I'm a liberal animal lover...I do eat more white meat like Chicken, Duck, Pork and a lot of Fish. I had some good Walleye tonight.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:39 PM

27,615 posts, read 19,392,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Besides moral issues to how animals are raised and slaughtered by meat companies...there are efficiency issues that tie into pollution and land use.

The world's population is growing. America's population is growing. We need more and more food.

Plants to eat are simply more efficient and cleaner for the environment than meat.

30% of the earth's landmass is now used to either raise animals for meat or for feed for those animals.

70% of all grain grown are not for humans, but to feed animals for slaughter.

80% of all deforested land within the rainforest is for cattle.

Jump for soy!

Holy Cow!!!

Protect the Planet With a Vegetarian Diet - ChooseVeg.in

I am not saying you all must become vegetarians...and NO...you are NOT evil if you eat meat....but wouldn't it help so many things if we reduced our meat consumption even if just a little bit....each doing our part? I think we can make a difference...yes!

For humor:
points for the cauliflower sheep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
See, now there's your basic problem.
no one wants to talk about that anymore. it would undoubtedly be considered ‘racist.’
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
America's population is growing? According to news sources, our birth rate in this country is "alarming" and a "national emergency" and that's why we "need more immigrants":

https://www.economist.com/democracy-...ore-immigrants

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nts/618422002/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/so...nts-2016-07-18 (You'll have to scroll past their horrible index editing)

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2018/05/23/birth-rate-drop

https://theweek.com/articles/642303/...onal-emergency

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/th...u-s-birth-rate

I really wish people would keep up with what they claim before making another claim that says the complete opposite.
they want more immigrants and fewer native-born Americans.
I wonder why.

Last edited by uggabugga; 08-23-2019 at 10:47 PM..

Old 08-23-2019, 10:44 PM

13,851 posts, read 9,949,272 times
As a representative of the Green Vegetable Liberation Front, we abhor vegetarians who destroy vegetables in mass quantities. Our silent screams will not be heard, but mark this, in time, we shall overcome. The Celery Stalks at Midnight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies