U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 11:09 AM

21,938 posts, read 19,531,524 times

Advertisements

The numbers are still incredible, no matter how often I have seen them over the decades. They were one reason I became a vegetarian about 35 years ago.
The switch was easy for me, probably because I never took myself seriously enough to ruin our one and only planet because of my petty taste buds. And of course it was easy because I became a Buddhist as a teenager, a religion with a strong philosophical and ethical core.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:11 AM

27,653 posts, read 16,009,498 times
Unless vegetarian food gets taste, forget it. I do like veggies but I can't do lettuce.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:12 AM

16,387 posts, read 4,314,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Only because the number of people is too large.

And Democrats want more and more and more people here.

What happens when you put too many fish in a tank?

Look at India. That is our future under liberalism.
Uh, liberalism has nothing to do with India. Try climate and LONG history.

There is one party which pushes for reproduction and counts each sperm and egg as a human beings. Only one party. I will see if you can guess which that is.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Unless vegetarian food gets taste, forget it. I do like veggies but I can't do lettuce.
The corn I just had was sublime.

The broccolini last eve next to the Pasta and Beans (w/olive oil and cheese) was divine.

Blueberries and Yogurt and 1/2 bagel for Breakfast today was delicious......

Lot of good food out there....without meat.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:15 AM

11,231 posts, read 4,968,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Your not preparing them right. I make giant bowl of mexican bean salad everytime I throw a party. It's always one of the first dishes to go and I'm asked for the recipe constantly. Also my kids love it.
That's likely the crux of the issue.

Most people I know who dislike veggies/beans/etc had bad experiences with them being prepared poorly and then being forced to eat them, especially as kids.

Their parents likely did a much better job preparing meat than the veggies, since most Americans seem to think of meat as the main dish and veggies as a mere obligatory side. Poor veggies

Once something is imprinted that early on in the brain as "yucky", the aversion will often remain even into adulthood.

I love almost all veggie dishes...except it took a long while for me to be able to eat borscht, because of a bad experience I had at a friend's house as a 4yo kid where her parents forced me to eat all of my bowl of their borscht and then shouted at me when I ended up throwing up on their carpet afterwards.

My husband hated zucchini and squash because his parents just boiled them into bitter soggy lifelessness.

But together as adults, we've taken the reins and learned how to prepare all of those things in a delicious way within our full control, and...yum! They don't even slightly resemble what we had bad culinary experiences with.

Beets, zucchini, and squash now make regular welcome appearances on our cooking menus.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I raise chickens and vegetable .
I do not appreciate GMOs, they are an abomination, no matter what good people thing they accomplish. Bio fuel is about all they are good for .
Many people cannot eat soy and other meat substitutes . and the amino acids in meat do things for our bodies that other proteins do not, I am told,
As for birth rates Some believe that most people are reasonable not having big families, however Muslim families are determined to be large to overwhelm the voting influence. This is SOP in Islam .
So how is this going to be fixed ?
Religious Jewish Families in the USA have vastly more children than the general population. Same with many Christian sects (the Sugars? 8 is enough? Etc.).......

One political party is basing themselves around waste...and around unlimited reproduction. They not only believe they should have vast numbers of children, but that everyone else should also. They abhor family planning.

It was already fixed but some people try to break it.

Remember, that same political party believes pollution is largely a myth. We can go from there and say if pollution is overblown or a myth, so is overpopulation...of course! That is, if we are not screwing the planet with 7 Billion, why not have 10?

Others rely on facts. As long as we have too many people believing in superstition and not accepting facts, we will have a tough time solving some problems. The solutions are there but politically unpopular due to heads in the sand.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:19 AM

6,686 posts, read 4,659,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Your not preparing them right. I make giant bowl of mexican bean salad everytime I throw a party. It's always one of the first dishes to go and I'm asked for the recipe constantly. Also my kids love it.
I’ve had beans MANY ways. I do like things like black bean and lentil soup. Hummus is tasty too, but whole beans are not something I enjoy regardless of how many other people think they’re fabulous.

I do love veggies and eat lots of them, it’s just beans that do not appeal.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:48 AM

27,653 posts, read 16,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The corn I just had was sublime.

The broccolini last eve next to the Pasta and Beans (w/olive oil and cheese) was divine.

Blueberries and Yogurt and 1/2 bagel for Breakfast today was delicious......

Lot of good food out there....without meat.
And if we're talking mistreatment of animals dairy ie: cheese and yogurt isn't doing better... Well unless it is ethically sourced.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:51 AM

21,938 posts, read 19,531,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Only because the number of people is too large.

And Democrats want more and more and more people here.

What happens when you put too many fish in a tank?

Look at India. That is our future under liberalism.
India is a rather conservative country, anything but liberal.
Per capita the Indians are much less of a burden to our planet than Americans, Europeans, Gulf Arabs etc. are.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:56 AM

9,694 posts, read 6,416,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Holy Cow!!!

Protect the Planet With a Vegetarian Diet - ChooseVeg.in

I am not saying you all must become vegetarians...and NO...you are NOT evil if you eat meat....but wouldn't it help so many things if we reduced our meat consumption even if just a little bit....each doing our part? I think we can make a difference...yes!

NO, whooptie frickin do! I just had an incredible veal chop last night! Tonight is pulled pork!

I likes my meats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies