U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

49,033 posts, read 45,930,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'm not a vegan and never will be, but some vegan foods are okay. The worst ones are typically the ones that are designed to imitate meat. If you look for vegan dishes that are inherently vegan you can find some good stuff.
Same way I feel. I'm never going vegan. I've tried being vegetarian, with disastrous results. I eat meat. I eat foods that come from animals, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. However, vegan food can be good if you eat the right stuff.

This is where I stand. Veganism is not the future for the world. We need moderation. I'm not against cutting back on how much meat one consumes. One needs meat, but not THAT MUCH.

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

1,392 posts, read 711,889 times
These libruls are hell bent on turning 1st world amenities into luxuries. Washing machines are a perfect example, let's brainwash consumers into belieiving the environment is so critically endangered that we need machines that use so little water they're not actually washing anything. Because we all live in arrid California right? As long as it looks pretty, makes cute electronic noises and is "green" then that'll make people happy. Forget how people are buying more clothes and discarding perfectly good clothing because their washers are crap. What is old is now luxury. Eating meat, a washing machine that cleans clothes are too dangerous for the commoners to have the privilege of experiencing, turning them into smelly lanky Europeans is the only way we can feel elitist over them and have any chance of rebirthing feudalism in the west.

Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

34,820 posts, read 33,909,555 times
Libs are already killing birds with wind power. Cow genocide for farting is just another step up, sort of like killing babies in the third trimester and after they are born to preserve your lifestyle. Then again, less babies, less need for milk, right? Well, except for you latte drinkers. Not all cows are for food.

Say, here's a thought. If we all go vegetarian, won't there be a lot more people farting from eating beans? Should we kill them, too, to save the environment? Maybe we can have government subsidies for Gas-X, and give money to Big Pharma. Did you know a healthy person passes a half a liter of gas every day? Gas-X says it's enough to fill 10 scuba tanks per year. Now, imagine what more beans in a diet will mean plus everyone farting like crazy?

The person who dealt it will be executed by the liberals who smelled it.

I predict an even bigger rise in cell phone usage and the end of elevators.

Pull My Finger will mean a life sentence.

Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

7,047 posts, read 3,854,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
That's likely the crux of the issue.

Most people I know who dislike veggies/beans/etc had bad experiences with them being prepared poorly and then being forced to eat them, especially as kids.

Their parents likely did a much better job preparing meat than the veggies, since most Americans seem to think of meat as the main dish and veggies as a mere obligatory side. Poor veggies

Once something is imprinted that early on in the brain as "yucky", the aversion will often remain even into adulthood.

I love almost all veggie dishes...except it took a long while for me to be able to eat borscht, because of a bad experience I had at a friend's house as a 4yo kid where her parents forced me to eat all of my bowl of their borscht and then shouted at me when I ended up throwing up on their carpet afterwards.

My husband hated zucchini and squash because his parents just boiled them into bitter soggy lifelessness.

But together as adults, we've taken the reins and learned how to prepare all of those things in a delicious way within our full control, and...yum! They don't even slightly resemble what we had bad culinary experiences with.

Beets, zucchini, and squash now make regular welcome appearances on our cooking menus.

Also if kids were actually taught to cook they would not be so afraid to try things.

I know families that won't let their kids anywhere near a stove or let them pick up a knife. All my kids 14, 16 and 17 know how to cook, and I'm not talking about shoving a meal in a microwave, I mean properly cook a meal from scratch with fresh ingredients.

One of my daughters friends doesn't eat any vegetables. At all. Or fruit. She's 13 and suffers with digestive problems and then wonders why?

Another mom friend of mine made a joke with my kids saying that she was serving brussels sprouts for dinner. She thought they'd be appalled but my kids love sprouts! So the joke was on her.
Sprouts are so delicious roasted.
Roasted beets too - I agree. People who have never tasted those things cooked properly don't know what they're missing. They're so delicious thrown in a salad.

All the people here mocking vegetarianism - good luck to them. My husband is a meat eater so I don't have a problem with that, never have had. But as a vegetarian of 36 years (actually realised I miscaIculated in my previous post - you lose count), I couldn't have lived any other way. At 52, my skin is clear, I still have no wrinkles, my blood pressure is always perfect and I don't have anything wrong with me. People always comment that I don't look anywhere near my age and I don't wear make up and have never had anything cosmetic done (and never would).
Kinda cracks me up when I see ads of fat laden burgers covered in cheese as though that's supposed to look delicious. Just looks like cholesterol on a bun to me. No thanks.

Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

8,939 posts, read 10,969,811 times
A lot of stats about plant based diet being healthier. You don't have to eliminate meat entirely, but trying to eat less of it is probably healthier.

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

573 posts, read 117,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
A lot of stats about plant based diet being healthier. You don't have to eliminate meat entirely, but trying to eat less of it is probably healthier.
That strikes me as too simplistic, there's plants and there's plants.

I'd rather look at the complete diet of people with good old-age health and good longevity and see what they do. Probably a combination of high physical activity and certain diets. Okinawans and high altititude Asians?

Most vegetarians I know eat bagels and pot stickers.

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

4,195 posts, read 6,465,322 times
The real issue is greedy industrial farming and waste. In the US 40% of all food, meat and veggies, are thrown away finding their way to landfills. BTW, landfills not only give off huge amounts of gas but also leach into the soil finding their way to water supplies.

It all comes down to greed and gluttony.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

21,916 posts, read 19,523,134 times
40% Why is that?
I hardly throw away any food. Where and when I grew up, it was considered a sin to throw food away, unless it was rotten.
In order to avoid that I try to buy only as much as I need, so basically the only thing I throw away is the peel of potatoes and the seeds of fruits.
When sauce is left on my plate, I wipe it clean with a slice of soft bread.

Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

8,939 posts, read 10,969,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
That strikes me as too simplistic, there's plants and there's plants.

I'd rather look at the complete diet of people with good old-age health and good longevity and see what they do. Probably a combination of high physical activity and certain diets. Okinawans and high altititude Asians?

Most vegetarians I know eat bagels and pot stickers.
Well, you can be a vegetarian and eat unhealthy. True. I think the value of exercise has been proven and of avoiding smoking/too much alcohol, stress. All count.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1017131546.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26853923

This study talks about "healthy plant foods" like you're alluding to, they're not all created equal. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5555375/

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

23,025 posts, read 17,044,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Also if kids were actually taught to cook they would not be so afraid to try things.

I know families that won't let their kids anywhere near a stove or let them pick up a knife. All my kids 14, 16 and 17 know how to cook, and I'm not talking about shoving a meal in a microwave, I mean properly cook a meal from scratch with fresh ingredients.

One of my daughters friends doesn't eat any vegetables. At all. Or fruit. She's 13 and suffers with digestive problems and then wonders why?

Another mom friend of mine made a joke with my kids saying that she was serving brussels sprouts for dinner. She thought they'd be appalled but my kids love sprouts! So the joke was on her.
Sprouts are so delicious roasted.
Roasted beets too - I agree. People who have never tasted those things cooked properly don't know what they're missing. They're so delicious thrown in a salad.

All the people here mocking vegetarianism - good luck to them. My husband is a meat eater so I don't have a problem with that, never have had. But as a vegetarian of 36 years (actually realised I miscaIculated in my previous post - you lose count), I couldn't have lived any other way. At 52, my skin is clear, I still have no wrinkles, my blood pressure is always perfect and I don't have anything wrong with me. People always comment that I don't look anywhere near my age and I don't wear make up and have never had anything cosmetic done (and never would).
Kinda cracks me up when I see ads of fat laden burgers covered in cheese as though that's supposed to look delicious. Just looks like cholesterol on a bun to me. No thanks.
That's your genes.

I'm not as old as you, but I also look way younger than I am (some of the posters from Maine have seen me, so feel free to ask them), my blood pressure is and always has been really good, my skin has always been clear, no wrinkles, and nothing wrong with me. I finally stopped getting carded for everything about 3 years ago.

I also don't wear make up, don't need to, and never had anything done.

My diet consists of almost a gallon of non fat milk a day (cause I love it), meat at least once a day, hardly any vegetables, sometimes fruit if it's on sale, but not consistently, and a whole lot of PowerAde.

Your anecdotal evidence doesn't point to it being because you're a vegetarian. I'm the same way, and I'm not a vegetarian at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies