U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 04:01 PM

7,052 posts, read 3,856,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That's your genes.

I'm not as old as you, but I also look way younger than I am (some of the posters from Maine have seen me, so feel free to ask them), my blood pressure is and always has been really good, my skin has always been clear, no wrinkles, and nothing wrong with me. I finally stopped getting carded for everything about 3 years ago.

I also don't wear make up, don't need to, and never had anything done.

My diet consists of almost a gallon of non fat milk a day (cause I love it), meat at least once a day, hardly any vegetables, sometimes fruit if it's on sale, but not consistently, and a whole lot of PowerAde.

Your anecdotal evidence doesn't point to it being because you're a vegetarian. I'm the same way, and I'm not a vegetarian at all.

Okay, that's fair comment. It could be my genes I guess. Although both my parents died separately when they reached 72, so not all that old.
(.Believe it or not, I still get carded occasionally. Ridiculous I know. :most recently in October when I went go see Lily Allen in NY)
I still think being vegetarian though can't hurt in the long run. To be fair, I rarely drink and have never smoked either, both of which definitely help.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
That strikes me as too simplistic, there's plants and there's plants.

I'd rather look at the complete diet of people with good old-age health and good longevity and see what they do. Probably a combination of high physical activity and certain diets. Okinawans and high altititude Asians?

Most vegetarians I know eat bagels and pot stickers.
I doubt that's all they eat.
And there's nothing wrong with bagels or potstickers. It's all about balance.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:40 PM

9,355 posts, read 2,860,217 times
Several years ago I started a low carb diet (which tends to be heavy on meat), and having seen arguments similar to the OP's many times, I began wondering.

You need to eat far less meat to satisfy yourself than you do to satisfy yourself with vegetables. Thus, if everybody ate an all (or mostly)-meat diet, they would not want or need to eat as much overall as they did on a vegetarian diet. If everybody ate less overall by eating mostly meat, would that really result in more crops being raised just to feed livestock? I'm not so sure it would.

In nature, vegetarians need to spend most of their waking hours grazing, while carnivores only need to eat once in a while. Same principle applies to people. Should we be the vegetarians and spend most of our time grazing, or should we be the carnivores and only need to eat once in a while?

Is a deer more "environmental" than a cougar?

Probably not.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:43 PM

9,355 posts, read 2,860,217 times
Now pardon me while I go out and get some of that Kansas City BBQ.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:55 PM

21,931 posts, read 19,527,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Several years ago I started a low carb diet (which tends to be heavy on meat), and having seen arguments similar to the OP's many times, I began wondering.

You need to eat far less meat to satisfy yourself than you do to satisfy yourself with vegetables. Thus, if everybody ate an all (or mostly)-meat diet, they would not want or need to eat as much overall as they did on a vegetarian diet. If everybody ate less overall by eating mostly meat, would that really result in more crops being raised just to feed livestock? I'm not so sure it would.

In nature, vegetarians need to spend most of their waking hours grazing, while carnivores only need to eat once in a while. Same principle applies to people. Should we be the vegetarians and spend most of our time grazing, or should we be the carnivores and only need to eat once in a while?

Is a deer more "environmental" than a cougar?

Probably not.
Plant food is very diverse. If you eat just grass like some animals do, of course you need to eat much more of it.
A lot of the plant stuff we humans have available is not eaten by animals, though.

There is a diagram in the opening post, comparing the resources necessary to make the same amount of soy and animal protein. The numbers answer your question.
And soy is just one of many options. Beans, lentils, peas, nuts, potatoes, etc. are other options. There is a reason why peanut butter is one of the world's emergency foods in the case of natural disasters. It is very nutritious, with about 1/4 to 1/3 being proteins.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:58 PM

5,205 posts, read 5,129,372 times
Don't forget that it is not just American population is growing, American people are growing in size.

Last edited by CaseyB; Yesterday at 04:56 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 08-24-2019, 05:11 PM

21,931 posts, read 19,527,282 times
Another, somewhat less obvious problem is fish, our oceans are being overfished. The fight for fish is leading to neo-colonial conditions in some African countries, where huge foreign ships from other continents are stealing the fish off African shores, driving locals into poverty.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:23 PM

23,032 posts, read 17,049,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Okay, that's fair comment. It could be my genes I guess. Although both my parents died separately when they reached 72, so not all that old.
(.Believe it or not, I still get carded occasionally. Ridiculous I know. :most recently in October when I went go see Lily Allen in NY)
I still think being vegetarian though can't hurt in the long run. To be fair, I rarely drink and have never smoked either, both of which definitely help.
I totally understand about the carding - On the one hand, I tried to be thankful, on the other hand, it's like, "Really? Really!?" I guess just love it while you can.

I have smoked, but don't drink, and I stay out of the sun. I'm ridiculously white - so I burn super easy. I spent 4 years in the blazing sun in Miami when I was an airboat captain, so I'm sure that's going to show up as damage some day - hopefully not much because I wore long sleeves and a cap to shade my face as much as possible. (Sunscreen was useless - you just sweat it right off...even the "sweat proof" ones.)

I'm not bashing on vegetables or those who are vegetarian. I just want people to leave me alone about what I eat. I like meat. I did try vegetarian food some time ago, to see if I could do it. Most disgusting thing I've ever done, and I was hungry all the time, miserable, and felt empty. I think the problem for me is when people try to make some fake hamburger or fake hot dog expecting me to believe it tastes "just like the real thing". No, it does not.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:31 PM

3,715 posts, read 1,607,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Only because the number of people is too large.

And Democrats want more and more and more people here.

What happens when you put too many fish in a tank?

Look at India. That is our future under liberalism.
Says one who either got asylum, or sneaked in or is here by birth lottery and thinks USA/India is bad despite originating from the land of drug cartels.

Some of your posts in HOuston were good, but your liberalphobia is getting worse and absurd day by day.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I totally understand about the carding - On the one hand, I tried to be thankful, on the other hand, it's like, "Really? Really!?" I guess just love it while you can.

I have smoked, but don't drink, and I stay out of the sun. I'm ridiculously white - so I burn super easy. I spent 4 years in the blazing sun in Miami when I was an airboat captain, so I'm sure that's going to show up as damage some day - hopefully not much because I wore long sleeves and a cap to shade my face as much as possible. (Sunscreen was useless - you just sweat it right off...even the "sweat proof" ones.)

I'm not bashing on vegetables or those who are vegetarian. I just want people to leave me alone about what I eat. I like meat. I did try vegetarian food some time ago, to see if I could do it. Most disgusting thing I've ever done, and I was hungry all the time, miserable, and felt empty. I think the problem for me is when people try to make some fake hamburger or fake hot dog expecting me to believe it tastes "just like the real thing". No, it does not.
I've never criticized or preached at anyone for eating meat. It's just part of society and always has been. Although recent findings suggest that early humans ate very little meat, so we are actually better evolved to be vegetarian. Still, I'm not criticizing anyone for eating it. Their choice.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...l-vegetarians/

I'm with you on the fake meat thing. I dont go there. I dont want any over processed crap pretending to be meat.

I think the problem is that a lot of Americans are so used to eating a ton of meat these days, they haven't really been exposed to what great, fresh vegetarian food tastes like. California is good at the vegetarian stuff though. At least it was when I lived there.

(Ha, I'm like you, ridiculously white. I had a tan once in my life when I spent my summer travelling Europe after University. Never been able to achieve a tan since. Probably a good thing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies