U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 01:59 PM

5,205 posts, read 1,025,014 times

Advertisements

Well, there are plenty of non-illegal people that can mow your lawn and there are plenty of those robo-lawn mower products!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 06:19 PM

27,146 posts, read 11,396,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Sounds like your facts have an agenda. They ignore all the billions in taxes illegals pay and the fact that illegals do many jobs that citizens won't. Like farm work

https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...nts-pay-taxes/
Sounds like you make things up.
"The costs are partially offset by taxes collected from illegal aliens, which total $19 billion. Taken together, the net cost of illegal immigrants to American taxpayers is an astonishing $116 billion annually."

Guest workers can work the farms.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:37 PM

13,321 posts, read 6,375,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Don't think we spend that much on them. Any credible links?

Should we just let tomatoes go unpicked and cows go unmilked?

You do know that tomato picking is gradually being automated. You did know this, correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3EpFTyN26E

It's not just happening to tomato harvesting. A google search will show you that there is similar machinery for other crops.

You also know---don't you?---that farmers have an agricultural visa program available to them that has no caps on it? Honest farmers who use the visa program have no problems getting their crops picked and their cows milked.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:37 PM

3,940 posts, read 777,046 times
A big part of the problem is that American teens won't do the type of "manual labor" they did when I was growing up. It's like they think they're above it or something.

I live about two blocks from a group of subsidized townhouses. I KNOW there are tons of young males (early to mid teens) because I see them outside all the time. So how come when it snows, not a single one has made the 2-block trek to my (affluent) neighborhood with a shovel and offer to dig us out? They could probably do a driveway per hour, and clear $100 in an afternoon.

So how come in the almost 20 years I've lived here, not ONE kid living with his mother on government assistance has 999999999999999999999999999 - sorry - that was my cat - offered to do this job? It's honest work, and Lord knows these kids could use a little spending money.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I wish I could find illegals who would do my landscaping and other chores around the house for five bucks an hour! Illegals I hire get at least $11 (minimum wage n my state) and usually a good deal more if they have a truck and a sign. Why would they work for less? There is such a serious labor shortage here that most illegals go into better paying positions in the home building industry leaving a real shortage of labor in household services.

As for Americans wanting to work. In what world do you live? In mine, the "Americans" are panhandling at the freeway intersections and soaking up free food and AC at the homeless shelter while the illegals are out at Home Depot looking for work.
You admit to aiding and abetting illegal aliens? That is truly despicable and shameful.

Have you checked the laws in your state regarding using labor on your property that isn't licensed and insured? In my state, if someone working on your property isn't licensed and insured gets injured, your homeowners insurance won't cover it. If you don't think an illegal who is injured on your property won't sue you, then you have another thing coming. There are plenty of pro-illegal groups who will gladly provide them a pro bono lawyer to sue you.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:18 PM

24,703 posts, read 12,189,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I agree. It will bankrupt the GOP.
No it won’t.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:30 PM

29,555 posts, read 40,059,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You admit to aiding and abetting illegal aliens? That is truly despicable and shameful.

Have you checked the laws in your state regarding using labor on your property that isn't licensed and insured? In my state, if someone working on your property isn't licensed and insured gets injured, your homeowners insurance won't cover it. If you don't think an illegal who is injured on your property won't sue you, then you have another thing coming. There are plenty of pro-illegal groups who will gladly provide them a pro bono lawyer to sue you.
How would I know if they are legal or not? I don't do e-verify. Where I live, I suspect all of the landscapers/tree trimmers/concrete and brick etc are illegal - at least the ones who do the work. The owner possibly is a citizen.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:52 PM

7,236 posts, read 1,858,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
If we're going to subsidize illegals to the tune of $120+ billion a year, and all we get is more agricultural workers out of it, it would be a lot cheaper to just directly subsidize American agricultural worker force. It would be better in every other way under the sun. Even better if agriculture would just pay market rate and stop passing the cost on to the public.

I agree.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:01 PM

7,236 posts, read 1,858,967 times
Quote:
How would I know if they are legal or not? I don't do e-verify. Where I live, I suspect all of the landscapers/tree trimmers/concrete and brick etc are illegal - at least the ones who do the work. The owner possibly is a citizen.

You said you hire illegals for $11 an hour. Now you are saying you hire a company that hires them.

When you hire someone directly ask to see their ID. Unless you are in a state that gives illegals a drivers license if they don't have one then you got your answer.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Go back and read the post of yours where you said Illegals I hire get at least $11

You admitted that you hire them.

When we owned our home, we would ask any company we wanted to hire if they use day labor. Once we asked one company if they used E-verify. They didn't know what it was and we explained it to them. Then they said they would get back to us with a quote. We never heard from them again. That alone spoke volumes.

Why don't you ask similar questions?

Do you ask any company that you use if they are licensed and insured? Have any of them voluntarily shown you proof of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies