U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 06:00 PM

10,792 posts, read 4,359,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You didn't answer my question.

And anyway, it isn't just wealthy liberals that price people out. Wealthy conservatives do this to. It will keep out poor minorities. It will also keep out poor Whites. And alot of working class White areas can't price people out. Working class areas regardless of ethnicity can't really price anyone out, unless wealthy people from outside the area perform gentrification.
You're right. But they don't price them out, they make their area so hostile to minorities that minorities don't choose to expose their families to that kind of discomfort.

Like, Vidor, Texas.

And it appears, like Marysville, although Marysville seems to be doing it with a softer, female voice.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:02 PM

13,114 posts, read 4,032,749 times
Quote:
You didn't answer my question.

And anyway, it isn't just wealthy liberals that price people out. Wealthy conservatives do this to. It will keep out poor minorities. It will also keep out poor Whites. And alot of working class White areas can't price people out. Working class areas regardless of ethnicity can't really price anyone out, unless wealthy people from outside the area perform gentrification.
That's my point, the middle and working class pay the toll for diversity, not the wealthy liberals who force the policy of diversity on them. That's why they should be allowed to vote on it if they want.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:04 PM

2,596 posts, read 3,471,532 times
What a vile disgusting rascist woman...in this day in age how can anyone say stupid crap like that

Old 08-24-2019, 06:05 PM

769 posts, read 137,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Separation by income and separation by public habits. It's not perfect, but pretty effective I'd say.

That's exactly how it's done. The way to keep people out is by not catering to their lifestyle needs. Keep the prices high, don't sell 'their' foods, clothes, or any of their preferences. Wherever you see a long list of premium autos for sale, vegan restaurants, bicycles, skateboarders, yoga, and golf courses, you will see maybe three black people in a thousand, if that many. This has been a very effective plan in all the places I have lived.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:10 PM

16,353 posts, read 4,308,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You might as well ask who cares about their neighborhood and who their neighbors are. You paid quadruple to stay in an area away from the people in diverse areas and ghettos, so why care if you still have to be around them anyway.
I guess many Americans live in different universes. If I paid more for a house - it was because it was a nicer house in a nicer location (nature - or convenient, etc.). It wasn't that the same house was available for 1/4 the price elsewhere.

The only place I've seen that is in white areas...all the dead towns in upstate NY and PA and elsewhere where you can buy big old houses for 80K.

A lot of the most expensive RE in the land is near places like Harlem.....or near Center City Philly, or the like. Granted, small neighborhood enclaves differ.

In Oakland CA a 1000 sf shack on a tiny lot in the middle of areas where you can hear gunshots....is 800K. Put it up for sale and it will sell in a weekend with multiple bids.

To each his or her own, but people vote with their feet and dollars and the people who can really afford stuff live in NYC or Boston or Miami or such....

Most people don't want to live in a Ghetto, tho....because they are often situated right up against refineries and factories and loud highways...they don't put the poor folks in the good locations (in general).

What I see is people choosing different locales based on where they are in live...or what they do for a living. When people have young children they tend to move out of the city and to the burbs where they can get more sf for the same price and more sports fields, etc. for the kids. When the kids leave the nest many people like more choices. We left the boring burbs where our last graduated high school and now live in really nice places where there is lots of things to do within a few minutes walk, bike or drive.

It used to be Americans moved every 5 years...this has changed now due the GWB Great Recession which stuck some people into the houses...like it or not. The current housing slowdown may do a bit of the same. It's not as easy to sell in many areas as before.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:16 PM

49,027 posts, read 45,940,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You're right. But they don't price them out, they make their area so hostile to minorities that minorities don't choose to expose their families to that kind of discomfort.

Like, Vidor, Texas.

And it appears, like Marysville, although Marysville seems to be doing it with a softer, female voice.
Forsyth County, GA tried something like that. It has a history of racial violence towards Blacks. It became one of the country's fastest growing counties during the 1980s. In 1997, there were only 39 Blacks in Forsyth County, out of a population of about 75,000. Today, Blacks are 3% of the county's population. It isn't much relative to the rest of metro Atlanta. However, considering that there were only 39 Blacks in the county in 1997, and by 2010, 5,500 Blacks, it's quite an increase. Forysth County also has a rapidly increasing Asian and Hispanic population (6.2% and 9.4% respectively). It's one of the wealthiest counties in Georgia. It went from a working class White county to a very wealthy county where many minorities started moving to.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:18 PM

769 posts, read 137,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's a lot better than being or becoming a diverse area that is not high income. The wealthy liberals price people out they do not want to live near to have their mostly homogenous neighborhoods.

I am probably one of the few non-whites who did a good bit of my growing up in a low-income white neighborhood. Worst thing that could've happened. In my opinion, poor people are always better off living among their own than living in a diverse poor neighborhood or one that makes them the outsider.

If the town this woman represents is majority poor or low-income and white, then she's probably saying exactly what the people are thinking but won't say aloud. Wealthy white liberals aren't at fault either for wanting to protect their investments. Same goes for majority of poor or low-income and wealthier blacks.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:21 PM

49,027 posts, read 45,940,524 times
This article is from 2011. I remember this article. Southfield,MI. Middle and upper class Blacks went to Southfield to get away from the problems of Detroit. And then poorer Blacks from Detroit started going to Southfield in the late 2000s/early 2010s. Many middle/upper class Blacks took issue with this. Let's just say middle upper class Blacks aren't thrilled to be around lower class Blacks. https://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/2...ro_detroi.html

My point? It really doesn't matter what race you are. Lower class habits are lower class habits. And that transcends race.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:24 PM

13,114 posts, read 4,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I am probably one of the few non-whites who did a good bit of my growing up in a low-income white neighborhood. Worst thing that could've happened. In my opinion, poor people are always better off living among their own than living in a diverse poor neighborhood or one that makes them the outsider.

If the town this woman represents is majority poor or low-income and white, then she's probably saying exactly what the people are thinking but won't say aloud. Wealthy white liberals aren't at fault either for wanting to protect their investments. Same goes for majority of poor or low-income and wealthier blacks.
Yeah I think that is true but I believe the more diverse and the poorer the area the worse the area is for everyone overall.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:29 PM

5,068 posts, read 2,047,369 times
Quote:
Growing up, I don't remember any minister or priest saying those words. I only remember a few students saying those things (in high school no less). When I asked a youth pastor, he confirmed that interracial marriages aren't wrong.
It was propaganda, from the 1930's, put out by the American Eugenics Society in an effort to gain support from the religious communities.

It mostly failed among Catholics and Protestants... Cramer must come from a very hardcore Progressive background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies