U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
6,979 posts, read 3,470,719 times
Reputation: 2963

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
A family with how many kids?

"Most of America"? Gimme a break!

Where, exactly, in America can such a family with kids survive on minimum wage jobs? Do tell.
Are you saying that a family of four couldn't survive on 50k/yr in most of America? I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
 
13,321 posts, read 6,372,206 times
Reputation: 11120
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Are you saying that a family of four couldn't survive on 50k/yr in most of America? I
Deflecting, I see.

I imagine that with the help of EBT, Section 8 and Medicaid and they didn't own a vehicle. If your idea of surviving is having to use EBT, Section 8 and Medicaid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,353 posts, read 8,196,648 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire
This is like talking to a child that has never had any real world experience. I can't believe I must waste my time explaining to a grown ass adult WHY a burger flipping job does not and cannot support a family. Unless you wish to eliminate 75% of the workforce and replace them with automated food production methods. What in the hell are they teaching young impressionable minds today??? I'm done. You can do a victory lap if you wish, but it does not change facts and reality.





That really triggers the deranged, rabid left.
You are losing the argument so you are taking your ball and going home. Actually you lost the argument. Logic completely defies you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
 
Location: In The Thin Air
12,353 posts, read 8,196,648 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Deflecting, I see.

I imagine that with the help of EBT, Section 8 and Medicaid and they didn't own a vehicle. If your idea of surviving is having to use EBT, Section 8 and Medicaid.
I know for a fact that a family of four can survive with two parents working full time minimum wage jobs without help from the government. I have an uncle in Oklahoma that is proving it. They even own their own home and two vehicles. I know it is anecdotal but I am sure there are millions more just like my uncle and his family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
 
5,205 posts, read 5,126,467 times
Reputation: 6386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I know for a fact that a family of four can survive with two parents working full time minimum wage jobs without help from the government. I have an uncle in Oklahoma that is proving it. They even own their own home and two vehicles. I know it is anecdotal but I am sure there are millions more just like my uncle and his family.
Sure. If doctors, educators, home/cars and lawyers will not rob their bank, they can survive in the socially segregated areas suited to their combined income. Colonial/second hand goods and food are relatively cheap. Everything else is expensive. The key is not to have any needs other than colonial goods and cheap foodstuff from Walmart. Some indeed get lucky in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM
 
5,196 posts, read 1,021,635 times
Reputation: 2057
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Are you saying that a family of four couldn't survive on 50k/yr in most of America? I
If they are really cheap and/or thrifty, they could. However, that is perhaps the exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM
 
13,321 posts, read 6,372,206 times
Reputation: 11120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I know for a fact that a family of four can survive with two parents working full time minimum wage jobs without help from the government. I have an uncle in Oklahoma that is proving it. They even own their own home and two vehicles. I know it is anecdotal but I am sure there are millions more just like my uncle and his family.


You apparently don't know that the COL varies across the country. In some areas, housing is cheap. In other areas, no one working a minimum wage job can find any housing at all.

Do some research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
12,864 posts, read 14,136,479 times
Reputation: 13637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
You are losing the argument so you are taking your ball and going home. Actually you lost the argument. Logic completely defies you.

I'm not repeating myself 5X, it's a waste of time and I have work to do. The free market determines wages, not me, not your feels. And the free market determines that fast food is not, and never was a job for raising a grown ass adult and their family on. Overall, these jobs do more damage to the American people than they help. The food is literally poison, and we are forced to subsidize their underachieving workforce. Some people are there because it is the best they can do. I have no problem helping these people. I do have a problem with subsidizing otherwise healthy able body adults who can and should be doing more with their life.

The workers require EBT and other handouts to survive. The companies generally make these part time jobs. They are doing everything they can to tell their employees that they need to go out and find a real job if they expect to support a family on their own. If they choose to go on strike and demand $15, they are free to do so, I fully support that. But let's hear some of those reasons why they deserve it besides, "I need more money" or "life is tough". Did they ever stop to think that the customers are not going to pay $10 for a hamburger that should cost 30% that? No they did not because they are incapable of considering the needs of others, like their customers, many of which are not that well off either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM
 
5,205 posts, read 5,126,467 times
Reputation: 6386
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm not repeating myself 5X, it's a waste of time and I have work to do. The free market determines wages, not me, not your feels. And the free market determines that fast food is not, and never was a job for raising a grown ass adult and their family on.
Free market is non existent abstraction it determines nothing. People with proper names do decide on underlings wages to maximize their profits by benefitting from the institutionalized wage slavery institution forcing workers to sell their arses or starve. As a rule wages are determined by owner's ideas about workplace hierarchy not by supply and demand. No changes in labor suply or demand will affect workplace hierarchy of wages, none. Thus free market bs is just that bs. What matters is social feel on who deserves what. Naturally our monkey hierarchical brain feels that people who can be forced to perform dull unsatisfying jobs with no agency or authority are low ranking subhumans who do not deserve much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
67,288 posts, read 34,268,899 times
Reputation: 14492
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So your argument is that people working jobs that don't pay enough, should stop working those jobs and take up jobs that still don't pay enough? Interesting...

And the old people with age-induced problems... They should also take up those jobs that young & middle aged workers are breaking they're backs doing? Again, very interesting...
Nope... That is what you want it to say.
I said, Jobs people don't want to do, because WELFARE pays better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top