U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

22,799 posts, read 11,763,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And then there's the fact that after 13 minutes, he had not, in fact, clothed her.
A police officer came to the hotel room where the woman denied she had been assaulted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

10,784 posts, read 4,359,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
A jury of 12 quickly acquitted a case that had been dismissed by an old white woman judge previously but, hey, we got people on here that just know he is guilty based on a video that the aforementioned judge and jury saw.
If you're referring to me, I don't "just know" he is guilty.

I keep asking, and there don't seem to be media resources to answer this question, what were the "lies" that the woman told, and what was the mitigating information the jury considered that caused them to dismiss a video of her trying to escape from him two times?

Do you have a resource for trial information?

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

Quote:
If you're referring to me, I don't "just know" he is guilty.

I keep asking, and there don't seem to be media resources to answer this question, what were the "lies" that the woman told, and what was the mitigating information the jury considered that caused them to dismiss a video of her trying to escape from him two times?

Do you have a resource for trial information?
Start googling. The case was originally dismissed. The woman was drunk and on opioids. A police officer asked the woman if she had been assaulted and she replied in the negative.

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

10,784 posts, read 4,359,826 times
Quote:
Start googling. The case was originally dismissed. The woman was drunk and on opioids. A police officer asked the woman if she had been assaulted and she replied in the negative.
Yes. I've read all that.

I haven't read what are reported to be "lies" she told the jury.

And I haven't read what made them dismiss the fact (caught on video) that she tried unsuccessfully to escape him and pled for help from a bystander.

I have read that a member of the jury pretty much stated that she consensually got into his car, so that's that. Apparently that constitutes irrevocable consent.

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

9,560 posts, read 4,374,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
What was the jury thinking? That's very damning evidence. I don't understand how they could acquit him.
Do we know the gender and racial makeup of the jury?

`

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM

33,717 posts, read 14,208,139 times
Cleaves attended Michigan State and played on the men's championship basketball team, there have been many allegations that MSU buried sexual assault claims against their big program athletes. Maybe not Cleaves but many of these athletes have received passes on their behavior.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/10/s...tate-rape.html

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Yes. I've read all that.

I haven't read what are reported to be "lies" she told the jury.

And I haven't read what made them dismiss the fact (caught on video) that she tried unsuccessfully to escape him and pled for help from a bystander.

I have read that a member of the jury pretty much stated that she consensually got into his car, so that's that. Apparently that constitutes irrevocable consent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Cleaves attended Michigan State and played on the men's championship basketball team, there have been many allegations that MSU buried sexual assault claims against their big program athletes. Maybe not Cleaves but many of these athletes have received passes on their behavior.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/10/s...tate-rape.html
You do realize Cleves was 37 years old at the time of the alleged crime? If has been awhile since he was a MSU student.

Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

9,574 posts, read 10,288,548 times
If the Motel had a bad reputation of being a "place of business" the woman probably won't be believed. I know I have been to a few Knights Motels, possibly one in that area. I got the impression that it was being used as a "place of business." look at it from google maps, its a cheap motel in a secluded place.

Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM

514 posts, read 636,315 times
That video is open and shut by itself.

Last edited by jonaos; Yesterday at 04:41 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM

33,717 posts, read 14,208,139 times
Quote:
You do realize Cleves was 37 years old at the time of the alleged crime? If has been awhile since he was a MSU student.
Yes he played for Izzo when they won the championship in 2000, just pointing out that he came from a suspect program that was ripe with sexual assault allegations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or