Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2019, 01:52 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Neither of us had the benefit of sitting and seeing all of the evidence and testimony.

Considering how quickly the deliberation went, this one wasn't even that hard of a decision.

I for one have some faith that the jurors know a whole lot more than you or I, you're the one basically stating they're wrong but then again, you don't have all the evidence...along with others postulating that the 9 women jurors were just too weak minded and acquitted the guy because his attorney was good looking or other lame reasons.

Takes a lot of hubris to reach such an unyielding opinion vs. TWELVE people that sat and heard testimony and evidence for hours and hours compared to what you read off the internet in 5 minutes.
Remember the Rodney King beating video tape? The question put before jurors was, was for in excess of what was necessary used to arrest him.

Just as in that case, I don't need to know what happened before and after.

I can see it with my own eyes.

I could see that in the Rodney King tape, force in excess of what was necessary was used to arrest him.

And I can watch these videos, and see a young woman trying to get away from a naked man and he keeps dragging her back into the hotel room against her clear wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 01:58 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Remember the Rodney King beating video tape? The question put before jurors was, was for in excess of what was necessary used to arrest him.

I could see that in the Rodney King tape, force in excess of what was necessary was used to arrest him.

And I can watch these videos, and see a young woman trying to get away from a naked man and he keeps dragging her back into the hotel room against her clear wishes.
Yes to all of the above and the witness testimony that she was crying and pleading for help adds to the evidence and discounts his story that Cleaves was “just trying to protect” the naked woman he was dragging back to his room. If he was trying to protect her perhaps he would have said something to the woman who said she was going to call 911. Maybe something along the lines of, “Please do, this woman needs help”. Instead he just dragged her back to his hotel room.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:02 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:

It strains all credibility that whatever happened before or after the video was consensual, let alone what happened during the video.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:12 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
It also strains all credibility to think nine female jurors would quickly acquit unless there is a lot we don’t know.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:14 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
I want to know the race of the 9 female jurors for starters.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I want to know the race of the 9 female jurors for starters.
Why am I not surprised?

M Cathy Dowd the judge who dismissed the case in 2016 was an old white woman.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Neither of us had the benefit of sitting and seeing all of the evidence and testimony.

Considering how quickly the deliberation went, this one wasn't even that hard of a decision.

I for one have some faith that the jurors know a whole lot more than you or I, you're the one basically stating they're wrong but then again, you don't have all the evidence...along with others postulating that the 9 women jurors were just too weak minded and acquitted the guy because his attorney was good looking or other lame reasons.

Takes a lot of hubris to reach such an unyielding opinion vs. TWELVE people that sat and heard testimony and evidence for hours and hours compared to what you read off the internet in 5 minutes.
This is actually something I learned from those who conduct mock jury trials - which are often done prior to the real trial. So, no, not a lame reason at all.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yes to all of the above and the witness testimony that she was crying and pleading for help adds to the evidence and discounts his story that Cleaves was “just trying to protect” the naked woman he was dragging back to his room. If he was trying to protect her perhaps he would have said something to the woman who said she was going to call 911. Maybe something along the lines of, “Please do, this woman needs help”. Instead he just dragged her back to his hotel room.
And then there's the fact that after 13 minutes, he had not, in fact, clothed her.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:37 PM

A jury of 12 quickly acquitted a case that had been dismissed by an old white woman judge previously but, hey, we got people on here that just know he is guilty based on a video that the aforementioned judge and jury saw.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
And then there's the fact that after 13 minutes, he had not, in fact, clothed her.
A police officer came to the hotel room where the woman denied she had been assaulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies