U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2019, 07:43 PM
 
15,572 posts, read 5,506,196 times
Reputation: 6011

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
President Trump has never been over 50% in the approval polls. But for much of his time in office, he has had higher approval ratings than Barack Obama did at similar points in his presidency.

How does President Trump's approval ratings compare to those of other G7 country leaders, who he is meeting with in France this weekend? Actually he is more popular than 5 out of 6, with the only exception being Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe. Here is the list, followed by an article:

48.8% - Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe
43.3% - American President Donald Trump
41.0% - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
32.0% - German Chancellor Angela Merkel
31.0% - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson
28.0% - French President Emmanuel Macron
Just Resigned Last Week - Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte

So President Trump is doing pretty good compared to the rest of this lot.
LOL, you do know trump is polling at 36% .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2019, 08:26 PM
 
2,287 posts, read 1,791,991 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Pretty much. In the case of Trudeau a 41% approval rating exists in a 5 party system, not a 2 party duopoly. In other words Trump's goose is cooked.

(sorry if I repeated others I'm lazy today)
Huh? There can be a hundred parties. Ir doesn't matter. In an approval poll you have three choices: approve of the subject of the poll, disapprove of the subject of the poll, no opinion. The alternative leaders are irrelevant. No one is asking about them.



No idea if no opinion choice is tossed and the numbers recalculated so that 41% approval rating is of those expressing an opinion or 41% approval rating is of all polled. Huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 08:32 PM
 
2,287 posts, read 1,791,991 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9999 View Post
The EU is on the verge of collapse. I’m surprised some of their numbers are not in the negatives. Merkel for example seems to be hell bent on destroying Germany.

The EU is weak and ineffective. I doubt it will collapse. It been wracked by crises since 2008.


Canada is near collapse just from the ineffective policies of the government, especially on immigration. Now that Trump has put the concept of adding territory to the US in play, the independence movement (admittedly tiny political movements) of three plains provinces have been given another chance. Once they go, so will the maritimes provinces. Ontario and British Columbia can't carry the Canadian burden by themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 08:54 PM
 
24,619 posts, read 12,859,740 times
Reputation: 7906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Huh? There can be a hundred parties. Ir doesn't matter. In an approval poll you have three choices: approve of the subject of the poll, disapprove of the subject of the poll, no opinion. The alternative leaders are irrelevant. No one is asking about them.



No idea if no opinion choice is tossed and the numbers recalculated so that 41% approval rating is of those expressing an opinion or 41% approval rating is of all polled. Huge difference.
It does matter how many parties.

A Democrat is less likely to approve of Trump than a Republican.
So when you do a poll in the USA --- given that the country has two parties to choose from -- you have a 50 50 chance that someone is going to like you.

In Canada -- there are -- conservatively 4 or 5 political parties.

The country voters are divided among those four or five. Harder to maintain a 41% approval in that kind of arena.

You have 100 people -- 50 Republicans 50 Democrats -- you have an good approval from 43 people.43 per cent -- WOW.



You have 100 people -- 30 Liberal, 30 Conservative, 20 NDP 15 PLQ and 5 Green party.

If you have 41 of those 100 giving you a good approval -- that is DAM impressive.

See how that works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 08:57 PM
 
24,619 posts, read 12,859,740 times
Reputation: 7906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
The EU is weak and ineffective. I doubt it will collapse. It been wracked by crises since 2008.


Canada is near collapse just from the ineffective policies of the government, especially on immigration. Now that Trump has put the concept of adding territory to the US in play, the independence movement (admittedly tiny political movements) of three plains provinces have been given another chance. Once they go, so will the maritimes provinces. Ontario and British Columbia can't carry the Canadian burden by themselves.
THe one sure way to unite Canada --- have Trump even suggest something so absurd....lol.

The last time the country united was when Trump tried to go after Canada for NAFTA. LOLOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 10:01 PM
 
2,287 posts, read 1,791,991 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
THe one sure way to unite Canada --- have Trump even suggest something so absurd....lol.

The last time the country united was when Trump tried to go after Canada for NAFTA. LOLOL.

No, it wasn't. Quebec farmers unduly profit from the milk quota system. Support in Ontario to get rid of the quota was well over 70%. Alberta receives no benefit from Ontario's car industry and the Maritimes are willing to undo NAFTA to get more fishing rights off Maine.



Canada is a country where a single road exists to connect coast to coast. When a two lane bridge threatened to collapse, the country was cut in half for weeks. Driving from Montreal or Toronto to Vancouver requires driving on US Interstates.



Canada used to run on feeling smug and having some perceived superiority complex over the US, when the US really couldn't care less. That feeling is gone in the prairie provinces these days. The end of Canada is nigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 10:04 PM
 
2,287 posts, read 1,791,991 times
Reputation: 1509
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It does matter how many parties.

A Democrat is less likely to approve of Trump than a Republican.
So when you do a poll in the USA --- given that the country has two parties to choose from -- you have a 50 50 chance that someone is going to like you.

In Canada -- there are -- conservatively 4 or 5 political parties.

The country voters are divided among those four or five. Harder to maintain a 41% approval in that kind of arena.

You have 100 people -- 50 Republicans 50 Democrats -- you have an good approval from 43 people.43 per cent -- WOW.



You have 100 people -- 30 Liberal, 30 Conservative, 20 NDP 15 PLQ and 5 Green party.

If you have 41 of those 100 giving you a good approval -- that is DAM impressive.

See how that works.



Seriously? This is your explanation.


Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,068 posts, read 2,820,924 times
Reputation: 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
No, it wasn't. Quebec farmers unduly profit from the milk quota system. Support in Ontario to get rid of the quota was well over 70%. Alberta receives no benefit from Ontario's car industry and the Maritimes are willing to undo NAFTA to get more fishing rights off Maine.

Canada is a country where a single road exists to connect coast to coast. When a two lane bridge threatened to collapse, the country was cut in half for weeks. Driving from Montreal or Toronto to Vancouver requires driving on US Interstates.

Canada used to run on feeling smug and having some perceived superiority complex over the US, when the US really couldn't care less. That feeling is gone in the prairie provinces these days. The end of Canada is nigh.
Your post made me laugh. You really have some weird ideas about Canada... I live in Manitoba, one of the prairie provinces, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,068 posts, read 2,820,924 times
Reputation: 5263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
No, it wasn't. Quebec farmers unduly profit from the milk quota system. Support in Ontario to get rid of the quota was well over 70%. Alberta receives no benefit from Ontario's car industry and the Maritimes are willing to undo NAFTA to get more fishing rights off Maine.

Canada is a country where a single road exists to connect coast to coast. When a two lane bridge threatened to collapse, the country was cut in half for weeks. Driving from Montreal or Toronto to Vancouver requires driving on US Interstates.

Canada used to run on feeling smug and having some perceived superiority complex over the US, when the US really couldn't care less. That feeling is gone in the prairie provinces these days. The end of Canada is nigh.
Your post made me laugh. You really have some weird ideas about Canada... I live in Manitoba, one of the prairie provinces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 12:13 AM
 
12,939 posts, read 3,551,461 times
Reputation: 4472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
You meant hamberder right?





At least five racehorses have been named after bumbled Trump Tweets.....including one named Hamberder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top