U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 02:56 PM

20,544 posts, read 10,095,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
"The question I was asked most today by fellow World Leaders, who think the USA is doing so well and is stronger than ever before, happens to be, “Mr. President, why does the American media hate your Country so much? Why are they rooting for it to fail?”-Donald Trump

if anyone was taking bets my money would be on that none of the world leaders asked this question of trump and it's just more of his fantasy BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 04:47 PM

16,187 posts, read 9,057,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
that's not true. rasmussen is the only poll i know of where obama has been lower than trump at equal points in their presidency. trump has yet to top obama in the RCP average.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:48 PM

6,839 posts, read 2,098,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
President Trump has never been over 50% in the approval polls. But for much of his time in office, he has had higher approval ratings than Barack Obama did at similar points in his presidency.

How does President Trump's approval ratings compare to those of other G7 country leaders, who he is meeting with in France this weekend? Actually he is more popular than 5 out of 6, with the only exception being Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe. Here is the list, followed by an article:
48.8% - Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe
43.3% - American President Donald Trump
41.0% - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
32.0% - German Chancellor Angela Merkel
31.0% - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson
28.0% - French President Emmanuel Macron
Just Resigned Last Week - Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte

So President Trump is doing pretty good compared to the rest of this lot.
Oh - when I saw your title, I thought you were going to claim that he was popular among the G7 leaders, which isn't true.

Well, okay, among a bunch of people with low ratings, he may rank second, but let's not pretend that 43% is a rating that implies popularity. Last I heard, he was under 40%, though.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:35 PM

2,287 posts, read 1,791,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Your post made me laugh. You really have some weird ideas about Canada... I live in Manitoba, one of the prairie provinces.

It is weird to you because you see the world as it is being portrayed to you by those in power. Look at it objectively. There have been two independence votes in the last 50 years for Quebec to leave. The last one was in 1995. The margin to remain in Canada was 1/2 % - that makes the Brexit vote look like a landslide. When the vote was being held Manitoba's premier made contingency plans to separate from Canada if necessary.

The founding story of Canada is two nations in one country: french and english. That story is under ever increasing pressure. When Doug Ford canceled plans for a francophone university in Ontario he justified it by saying that there were more Chinese or Hindi speakers, the premier of Quebec (not sure if it was Legault already) implied that the Chinese or Indians did not matter. That is bound be a long running conflict as the Chinese or Indians see neither story as theirs. Forcing kids across the country to learn French is just an exercise in pointlessness for immigrant kids who are more interested in their own culture. The found myth of Canada will be shattered by identity politics.

The maritimes are lagging economically way behind the rest of Canada and are really cut off politically and geographically from anglophone Canada.

Canada's infrastructure outside of the major cities is woefully underdeveloped.

In 25 years, it will seem self-evident that Canada was not going to last. Putting a Canadian flag on backpack when going overseas does not solve the fundamental problems plaguing Canada.

Last edited by Yuptag; 08-25-2019 at 08:30 PM..

Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 PM

4,068 posts, read 2,819,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
It is weird to you because you see the world as it is being portrayed to you by those in power.
Well I take my knowledge of Canada and Canadians over yours any day. I was born in Canada and have lived here my entire life. I lived for several years in each four different provinces, including Quebec. I was actually living in Montreal during the FLQ crisis in 1970.

I have no idea how those in power have seen the world (do they even talk about the world?) and I very much doubt I have seen the world the way they have done.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:46 PM

21,071 posts, read 9,093,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
trump unapologetically supports American workers, wants western Europeans to paying for their own military defense (like their politicians agreed to decades ago and have not done), and backs Israel. No other president in my lifetime has upset the status quo like America-loving-trump. I support him for his love of America over globalists and being popular with other countries. Hope he gets reelected to continue his policies.
Trump has made our country a laughingstock and no longer the greatest country and the worlds leader.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:09 AM

39,997 posts, read 48,686,572 times
Trump not so popular at G-7...
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/25/w...g7-allies.html
But behind the scenes at the annual gathering of some of the world’s leading powers, President Trump still found himself at odds with his counterparts on Sunday over issues like trade, climate change, North Korea, Russia and Iran.
Ever so gingerly, as if determined not to rouse the American’s well-known temper, the other Group of 7 leaders sought to nudge him toward their views on the pressing issues of the day, or at least register their differences — while making sure to wrap them in a French crepe of flattery, as they know he prefers.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:40 AM

5,347 posts, read 2,610,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
It is weird to you because you see the world as it is being portrayed to you by those in power. Look at it objectively. There have been two independence votes in the last 50 years for Quebec to leave. The last one was in 1995. The margin to remain in Canada was 1/2 % - that makes the Brexit vote look like a landslide. When the vote was being held Manitoba's premier made contingency plans to separate from Canada if necessary.

The founding story of Canada is two nations in one country: french and english. That story is under ever increasing pressure. When Doug Ford canceled plans for a francophone university in Ontario he justified it by saying that there were more Chinese or Hindi speakers, the premier of Quebec (not sure if it was Legault already) implied that the Chinese or Indians did not matter. That is bound be a long running conflict as the Chinese or Indians see neither story as theirs. Forcing kids across the country to learn French is just an exercise in pointlessness for immigrant kids who are more interested in their own culture. The found myth of Canada will be shattered by identity politics.

The maritimes are lagging economically way behind the rest of Canada and are really cut off politically and geographically from anglophone Canada.

Canada's infrastructure outside of the major cities is woefully underdeveloped.

In 25 years, it will seem self-evident that Canada was not going to last. Putting a Canadian flag on backpack when going overseas does not solve the fundamental problems plaguing Canada.
Yuptag, Day of Yup, what is it to be "portrayed to you by those in power?" What if you are told that "news is fake" by those in power, is that something that is portrayed to you?

"Separate from Canada" means what? Other country?

Canada is a mosaic of cultures with many languages and eye colours. No one is forced, no one is restricted.

Have you visited Canada's most famous building? It is tiny house, a bit like a micro-apartment, with a round circle cut into a wooden seat. That's where Canada puts fundamental problems plaguing Canada. Jump in, share, participate.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:06 AM

6,776 posts, read 3,501,863 times
Interesting that Abe is the most popular by far as Japan is the only one of these countries not facing massive influx of migrants and multiculturalism and all the economic, educational, criminal, and cultural fall out it causes.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:07 AM

39,434 posts, read 15,610,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
that's not true. rasmussen is the only poll i know of where obama has been lower than trump at equal points in their presidency. trump has yet to top obama in the RCP average.
Last I read, Rasmussen polled landline phones rather than cell phones, so they are getting their information from those who still answer landlines.

Not sure who is polling leaders of other nations, or what methods they are using.

But to contend that Trump is one of the more popular leaders at this G7 conference is ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or