U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 02:13 PM

12,894 posts, read 11,453,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Yuptag, Day of Yup, what is it to be "portrayed to you by those in power?" What if you are told that "news is fake" by those in power, is that something that is portrayed to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 07:13 PM

5,116 posts, read 2,311,195 times
At any circus, clowns are always popular.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:32 PM

14,845 posts, read 22,745,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
President Trump has never been over 50% in the approval polls. But for much of his time in office, he has had higher approval ratings than Barack Obama did at similar points in his presidency.

How does President Trump's approval ratings compare to those of other G7 country leaders, who he is meeting with in France this weekend? Actually he is more popular than 5 out of 6, with the only exception being Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe. Here is the list, followed by an article:

48.8% - Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe
43.3% - American President Donald Trump
41.0% - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
32.0% - German Chancellor Angela Merkel
31.0% - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson
28.0% - French President Emmanuel Macron
Just Resigned Last Week - Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte

So President Trump is doing pretty good compared to the rest of this lot.

Here is KT McFarland on Trump:

" I think it was a tremendous success for Trump. Look he went into it and the French President wanted to talk about global warming he wanted to talk about the Amazon, he wanted to talk about banning plastic straws, but Trump wanted to talk about trade. So what is Trump do? Friday before the G7 he trash-talks China. Then a couple of days later he makes nice to China he says maybe I shouldn't be in the trade war in the first place then he gave China the opening thing needed to save face so then China said immediately okay, maybe we'll start negotiations. I think Trump really handle that one quite well. As far as the others he walked in that trade deal he has a new deal with Canada he has a new deal with Mexico he has to deal with South Korea he announced to deal with Japan and then while he was at the G7 and Boris Johnson the new Prime Minister of Great Britain they said they would work on a deal as soon as Britain left the European Union so Trump is looking pretty good and everybody else has to wonder..."

The media... waa! Hitler Stalin Mao! Waa!

"So, do they want to deal with Trump now? Or wait until Trump is unleashed in his second Administration?"

Old 08-27-2019, 07:36 AM

2,812 posts, read 2,018,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

" I think it was a tremendous success for Trump. Look he went into it and the French President wanted to talk about global warming he wanted to talk about the Amazon, he wanted to talk about banning plastic straws, but Trump wanted to talk about trade. So what is Trump do? Friday before the G7 he trash-talks China. Then a couple of days later he makes nice to China he says maybe I shouldn't be in the trade war in the first place then he gave China the opening thing needed to save face so then China said immediately okay, maybe we'll start negotiations. I think Trump really handle that one quite well. As far as the others he walked in that trade deal he has a new deal with Canada he has a new deal with Mexico he has to deal with South Korea he announced to deal with Japan and then while he was at the G7 and Boris Johnson the new Prime Minister of Great Britain they said they would work on a deal as soon as Britain left the European Union so Trump is looking pretty good and everybody else has to wonder..."

"So, do they want to deal with Trump now? Or wait until Trump is unleashed in his second Administration?"

Funny...I heard that China didn't know anything about a phone call to Trump saying they wanted to negotiate. We will see.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:46 AM

5,624 posts, read 3,022,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9999 View Post
The EU is on the verge of collapse. I’m surprised some of their numbers are not in the negatives. Merkel for example seems to be hell bent on destroying Germany.
The EU is already destroyed they just don’t know it yet.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:32 AM

18,619 posts, read 10,682,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Yeah, the new deal with Canada and Mexico …… this deal? https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...-the-old-nafta

https://www.cato.org/publications/co...rade-high-cost

The deal you were told was so unfair you whiners believed? The deal that didn't even address the "supposed" areas of the claimed unfairness? The deal that will, according to all researchers; INCREASE offshoring of jobs? That deal?

The world now knows you people would believe trump if he put lipstick on a pig and told you it was a poodle.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:37 AM

10,478 posts, read 6,886,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
President Trump has never been over 50% in the approval polls. But for much of his time in office, he has had higher approval ratings than Barack Obama did at similar points in his presidency.

How does President Trump's approval ratings compare to those of other G7 country leaders, who he is meeting with in France this weekend? Actually he is more popular than 5 out of 6, with the only exception being Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe. Here is the list, followed by an article:

48.8% - Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe
43.3% - American President Donald Trump
41.0% - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
32.0% - German Chancellor Angela Merkel
31.0% - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson
28.0% - French President Emmanuel Macron
Just Resigned Last Week - Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte

So President Trump is doing pretty good compared to the rest of this lot.
That really doesn't matter. What mattered at the G7 summit was that Trump wasn't very popular with the other leaders and basically was disinterested in the forums and topics.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:44 AM

35,040 posts, read 42,379,118 times
At the G-7 trump was an absolute embarassment,most everything he said was bs and inviting the G-7 or 8 to his failing Doral country club next year was pushing it a bit too far .

Old 08-27-2019, 12:01 PM

39,606 posts, read 15,675,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Funny...I heard that China didn't know anything about a phone call to Trump saying they wanted to negotiate. We will see.
"Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang stated, “Regarding the phone call in the weekend, I am not aware of that."

"When pressed on his side of the story, Trump refused to give any further details, which is totally what someone telling the truth would do.

“I don’t want to talk about calls,” he said of the calls he’d cited as evidence of positive trade news just hours earlier. "

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...ina-phone-call

What's next? A love letter from Xi?

Old 08-27-2019, 12:06 PM

29,999 posts, read 40,429,591 times
Macron blew smoke up Trump's butt and he predictably fell for it. Macron is the new leader of the Free World as Trump has squandered all our credibility and ceded our influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or