U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 06:31 PM

399 posts, read 59,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Question: Is there such thing as a "hate crime"?

Survey says...

Source: https://media1.tenor.com/images/f11b...temid=12864220

Useless quibbling. A "hate crime" is a designation of crime like any other (such as 1st degree murder vs. manslaughter) which looks at motive to determine sentencing. Motive happens to be a key element of all criminal sentencing. Just like if your wife was killed by accident vs. cold blooded murder, the result is the same for your wife.... but not for the criminal. Also, most of us would have our grief compounded knowing a loved one was victimized on purpose vs. by negligence.

A crime motivated by bias or the selection of a target based on the immutable characteristics of the victim is a "hate crime." It's an aggravating factor the law chooses to assign to the crime. I have no issue with it being used as a designation of crime.

There are, of course, plenty of hate crime hoaxes. But that doesn't mean that bias-motivated crimes and victim selection based on identity don't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 06:36 PM

25,520 posts, read 9,915,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
Useless quibbling. A "hate crime" is a designation of crime like any other (such as 1st degree murder vs. manslaughter) which looks at motive to determine sentencing. Motive happens to be a key element of all criminal sentencing. Just like if your wife was killed by accident vs. cold blooded murder, the result is the same for your wife.... but not for the criminal. Also, most of us would have our grief compounded knowing a loved one was victimized on purpose vs. by negligence.

A crime motivated by bias or the selection of a target based on the immutable characteristics of the victim is a "hate crime." It's an aggravating factor the law chooses to assign to the crime. I have no issue with it being used as a designation of crime.

There are, of course, plenty of hate crime hoaxes. But that doesn't mean that bias-motivated crimes and victim selection based on identity don't exist.
I know what the man made law says.

Bachelors and Masters in Criminal Justice (or make believe if you wish).

I'm talking about real law...natural law.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:37 PM

25,520 posts, read 9,915,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
All crime is hate. If only all crime was treated equally - but some of it so very well weaved into the culture that no one notices or even cares.
There are violations of rights (crimes) and that's it.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:57 PM

5,205 posts, read 5,132,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Why WOULD you blame white supremacy on Fox News?

Only one? Let's be honest here. Black kids have been taught their whole lives that whites are out to get them. It's like when I lived in the South. They STILL talk about Yankees, blah, blah, blah. I was from Ohio and I didn't spend my whole life talking about a war that happened over a hundred years before I was born. We never even thought about it.

confederate flags are not that rare around Ohio, North of Columbus Ohio to boot. If it is not you, somebody else spends time and treasure to reflect on that old war in the ways not sympathetic to the northern cause.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:58 PM

3,221 posts, read 988,219 times
Prosecute the act, not the emotion. "Hate crime" should not exist in legal lexicon.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Prosecute the act, not the emotion. "Hate crime" should not exist in legal lexicon.

Nonsensical. Motive/state of mind (mens rea) is a staple of criminal jurisprudence in the common law tradition.

So all murder should be prosecuted the same? 1st degree vs. manslaughter?

Old 08-24-2019, 07:04 PM

16,340 posts, read 6,454,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Among the four victims was a 20 yr old white woman hit in the head with a brick. The mainstream media and social media, controlled by Dems, have made their zombies insane and violent.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...o=taboola_feed
Why is this not on the N.Y. Times "Breaking News" whereas a typical "Breaking News" alert is "Breaking News: President Trump said Denmark's prime minister was "nasty" when she rejected his interest in purchasing." (link)

Old 08-24-2019, 07:06 PM

3,221 posts, read 988,219 times
Quote:

The motive you reference is based on determining the criminality of the action. Are you saying that you are for criminalizing hate by applying varied sentencing for assault, based on how you determined the assailant "felt" towards their victim?
Quote:
Nonsensical. Motive/state of mind (mens rea) is a staple of criminal jurisprudence in the common law tradition.

So all murder should be prosecuted the same? 1st degree vs. manslaughter?
No, I did not state that.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:11 PM

17,512 posts, read 8,862,979 times
Does this really matter? I mean, somewhere there is probably a white woman calling the cops on a black person for looking at her or something. Much more newsworthy.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
The motive you reference is based on determining the criminality of the action. Are you saying that you are for criminalizing hate by applying varied sentencing for assault, based on how you determined the assailant "felt" towards their victim?

It's just another aggravating factor in sentencing.

It's also not simply, "how one feels about their victim." It's whether the crime itself is motivated by an immutable characteristic of the victim. Was someone targeted specifically because of their race, sex, sexuality, etc.?

Would the crime have happened but-for that bias motivation?

Imagine if you will the plight of white S. African farmers, targeted on account of their race. Not that the racist S. African government ever would, but the government there has a motivation to apply aggravating factors to such crimes where it shows a special need to address such crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies