Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 04:50 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,189,687 times

Advertisements

Like we didn't already have enough to worry about, with water destroying the ocean, and oxygen destroying the air. Now this...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...00505222389766

Old 08-25-2019, 06:09 AM

45,581 posts, read 27,172,269 times
This goes beyond simplistic 2+2=4 level thinking. The statement in the OP is more dynamic thinking, which can see the results through various moving parts.

People see freedom in different ways.

Some think you can do whatever you want (good, bad, or ugly) with your freedom because hey - I'm free, I can do what I want. Now - "what I want" becomes the main focus, and the freedom for others doesn't matter. At this point - you can have people like April Ryan deny the free press for others while at the same time campaigning for her free speech. At this point - people can misuse their freedom and put out false articles that hurt other people in order to advance an agenda. This can come from the left or the right. Freedom of the press is not the priority in this case.

Other people (like myself) see that freedom has boundaries of right and wrong and truth. Freedom needs to be protected by these boundaries. The freedom of others needs to be respected.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:47 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
As much as I hate it when I have to agree with our Tweeter-in-Chief, the current media is destroying the free press. The fourth estate is supposed to be the purveyor of truth and instead has become an arm of propaganda. I’m not talking about those who are clear that what they are saying is opinion, I talking about the ones spouting opinion and claiming it is reporting or “news” entities that selectively report or not report stories based on a bias.

No matter how much you dislike him, it is not balanced reporting if 90+% of all stories of a sitting president are negative. He meets with people receiving awards, he holds Easter egg hunts, he signs feel good things, economic numbers for certain demographics have improved, and so forth. The “news” entities in our nation have put themselves in a position where a concerningly large percentage of the nation no longer believes them, let alone trusts them.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:00 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,415 times
Yesterday we were watching the PBS show by Rick Steves "The Story of Fascism in Europe." He hosts a travel show on PBS and in this show we just saw he goes to the places where fascism began, talks to people about how it came about and how it could happen again. One of the things that came up in the show was how they got rid of the press. This is relevant to today. All these attacks on the press aren't for our benefit. Personally I wouldn't mind if this show ran 24 hours a day right now. It needs to be seen. What happened in the past could happen again.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:01 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Neither Levine or Trump have no credibility. Levine's criticism would have more meaning if he attacked commentators like Sean Hannity and spent less time defending the likes of John Carlson.

Never heard a president call the media the Enemy of the State, we are in new territory with Trump in the white house.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:04 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As much as I hate it when I have to agree with our Tweeter-in-Chief, the current media is destroying the free press. The fourth estate is supposed to be the purveyor of truth and instead has become an arm of propaganda. I’m not talking about those who are clear that what they are saying is opinion, I talking about the ones spouting opinion and claiming it is reporting or “news” entities that selectively report or not report stories based on a bias.

No matter how much you dislike him, it is not balanced reporting if 90+% of all stories of a sitting president are negative. He meets with people receiving awards, he holds Easter egg hunts, he signs feel good things, economic numbers for certain demographics have improved, and so forth. The “news” entities in our nation have put themselves in a position where a concerningly large percentage of the nation no longer believes them, let alone trusts them.

Well Said.

Too bad there's still so many easily influenced, they parrot what the MSM says as fact without thought or question.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:15 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,220 times
Our media was overthrown decades ago.. the banksters, CIA, global gov't shills via the Council on Foreign Relations ect. Free press in America? Not really ...IF you report the documented truth its slammed as "conspiracy theory" relegated to back page or ignored because its not reported by the MSM.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:15 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,403 times
You guys don’t like the attention Trump gets in the media, then next time elect a boring President.

President Obama was pretty boring, although that didn’t stop the right-wing mass media from attacking him 24/7.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:18 AM

45,581 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Neither Levine or Trump have no credibility. Levine's criticism would have more meaning if he attacked commentators like Sean Hannity and spent less time defending the likes of John Carlson.

Never heard a president call the media the Enemy of the State, we are in new territory with Trump in the white house.
We are in a new territory with the press. The NY Times is creating narratives about Trump being racist. They are no longer a news group, but an outlet of propaganda. If they are not going to act like the press, why should the freedom of the press apply to them?

You do understand that the president had to endure a massive hoax that the press undertook that lasted for well over two years.

You do understand that he is falsely called a racist repeatedly by the press. His family is constantly under the harsh and inaccurate characterization of the press.

Just on a personal level, how would you expect him to respond... especially in the light of how others presidents were treated?

Old 08-25-2019, 07:21 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
This speaks for itself. They printed over 120,000 copies too.

https://twitter.com/YoungDems4Trump/...71301863809024
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies