Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 07:01 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Here, let me completely leave politics out of it, maybe then some will grasp the issue.

Most of the media is owned by huge for profit mega corporations and are currently in a lot of financial trouble due to the internet and high levels of competition.

Not making money for a corporation causes pressures to be applied to cut costs and get better ratings. This can easily result in skewed narratives because they're chasing niche audiences instead of reporting the news.

This is nothing new, our great republic has gone through some very bad times in terms of press quality and frankly we at levels that are the worst in probably 90+ years. It's not even how things are reported but rather WHAT is reported.
Solid post...

I would add that the media left the door open for the internet and other competition by how they reported events, and what events they chose to report, and their liberal bias.

Limbaugh busted their bubble when he came on the scene nationally and opened the eyes of many.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:03 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Simple enough. Trump has video's of him greeting Epstein at parties. Trump has also admitted that he and Epstein were the only males at a party with 28 "models". Trump has even given quotes in the past about his friendship with Epstein. Then tries to walk them back.

Trump creates his own problems and then makes them worse
Quit telling the truth.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:06 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
We are in a new territory with the press. The NY Times is creating narratives about Trump being racist. They are no longer a news group, but an outlet of propaganda. If they are not going to act like the press, why should the freedom of the press apply to them?

You do understand that the president had to endure a massive hoax that the press undertook that lasted for well over two years.

You do understand that he is falsely called a racist repeatedly by the press. His family is constantly under the harsh and inaccurate characterization of the press.

Just on a personal level, how would you expect him to respond... especially in the light of how others presidents were treated?
Sadly, they actually have been so for decades. Thing is, 40 years ago they had more intelligent, creative editors and writers, that were able to slant an article and manipulate the public without being quite so obvious about it. Today-they don't even pretend to be neutral, honest purveyors of news. Is it because the quality of their employees has declined that much? Or because the quality of their readership has? Most (OK, at least many) of the NYTs supporters appear to utilize them for cognitive reinforcement rather than news.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:14 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Here, let me completely leave politics out of it, maybe then some will grasp the issue.

Most of the media is owned by huge for profit mega corporations and are currently in a lot of financial trouble due to the internet and high levels of competition.

Not making money for a corporation causes pressures to be applied to cut costs and get better ratings. This can easily result in skewed narratives because they're chasing niche audiences instead of reporting the news.

This is nothing new, our great republic has gone through some very bad times in terms of press quality and frankly we at levels that are the worst in probably 90+ years. It's not even how things are reported but rather WHAT is reported.
I disagree. The large corporations that own most of these media outlets make plenty of money in their other businesses to afford the losses these media outlets incur. They would rather get out their Far Left Progressive message, and advance that agenda than make money with them.

Look at Comcast, and CEO Brian Roberts who owns NBC, MSNBC, and CNBC, and Jeff Bezos of Amazon fame who owns the Washington Post. Both known Democrat supporters and leftists. That's just two examples. Comcast and Amazon make so much money that they don't care if their Propaganda Outlets lose money.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:04 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I disagree. The large corporations that own most of these media outlets make plenty of money in their other businesses to afford the losses these media outlets incur. They would rather get out their Far Left Progressive message, and advance that agenda than make money with them.

Look at Comcast, and CEO Brian Roberts who owns NBC, MSNBC, and CNBC, and Jeff Bezos of Amazon fame who owns the Washington Post. Both known Democrat supporters and leftists. That's just two examples. Comcast and Amazon make so much money that they don't care if their Propaganda Outlets lose money.
Here, job cuts. There are tons of sources referencing more. I felt this was obviously widely known or I would have sourced earlier which is my mistake.

This frankly is at odds with your claim that they are willing to lose money at these outlets.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/media...ett/index.html

Heck, CNN's entire decision to take a hard left turn about 3 years ago was driven by bad financial results and a play for ratings by targeting demographics.

If you have some facts you'd like to strengthen your case with, then please do.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:09 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Simple enough. Trump has video's of him greeting Epstein at parties. Trump has also admitted that he and Epstein were the only males at a party with 28 "models". Trump has even given quotes in the past about his friendship with Epstein. Then tries to walk them back.

Trump creates his own problems and then makes them worse
https://twitter.com/redsteeze/status...39186596814848

After decades of blowing it off as an Alex Jones conspiracy theory.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:14 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Here, job cuts. There are tons of sources referencing more. I felt this was obviously widely known or I would have sourced earlier which is my mistake.

This frankly is at odds with your claim that they are willing to lose money at these outlets.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/media...ett/index.html

Heck, CNN's entire decision to take a hard left turn about 3 years ago was driven by bad financial results and a play for ratings by targeting demographics.

If you have some facts you'd like to strengthen your case with, then please do.
The fact that ALL of these media outlets remain Far Left Progressive Democrat supporters, even after huge viewership and revenue losses is all I need. Comcast held Biden's kick off fundraiser for this election, Brian Roberts, their CEO was an Obama bundler, financier, and friend. Connect the dots. Nothing is changing. CNN, NBC, MSNBC have witnessed Fox's success. Why haven't they become more balanced and copy Fox's winning formula? It is because their ownership wants a propaganda outlet.

Last edited by Pilot1; 08-26-2019 at 08:34 AM..

Old 08-26-2019, 11:32 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:

You do understand that the president had to endure a massive hoax that the press undertook that lasted for well over two years.
That^^^^ is a falsehood. The Mueller investigation was created by Rod Rosenstein, not by the press. The press reported on it as it unfolded as they did on the investigation into Bill Clinton.

Quote:
You do understand that he is falsely called a racist repeatedly by the press. His family is constantly under the harsh and inaccurate characterization of the press.
Trump is a racist, that was established long before he ran for President. The press did not create that narrative, Trump did with his discrimination in his properties, with his whole birther thing and with the Central Park 5.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:32 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
This goes beyond simplistic 2+2=4 level thinking. The statement in the OP is more dynamic thinking, which can see the results through various moving parts.

People see freedom in different ways.

Some think you can do whatever you want (good, bad, or ugly) with your freedom because hey - I'm free, I can do what I want. Now - "what I want" becomes the main focus, and the freedom for others doesn't matter. At this point - you can have people like April Ryan deny the free press for others while at the same time campaigning for her free speech. At this point - people can misuse their freedom and put out false articles that hurt other people in order to advance an agenda. This can come from the left or the right. Freedom of the press is not the priority in this case.

Other people (like myself) see that freedom has boundaries of right and wrong and truth. Freedom needs to be protected by these boundaries. The freedom of others needs to be respected.
Yeah, that probably sounded better in the original German.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:53 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
I'd just like to see facts with no spin. Seems like too much to ask. I have to watch a few different channels, fact search some stuff online, and kind of make my own conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies