Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 09:05 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I agree with BeerGeek.....reform is needed. My concern has always been that it be done thoughtfully, such as a tiered system or perhaps extending the age where you can first take full benefits. I'm concerned that reforms if not done thoughtfully will disparately impact lower income folks.
Let it affect the poorer folks. They pay much less into the system and much more in proportion to what they contribute.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:05 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Trump says he may begin cutting Social Security and Medicare if he wins in 2020
That's IT!
He's toast now, and that's fer sure! We can go ahead with all those impeachment attempts, but it's a wast of time - any ol' Dem can beat him now!
(What a bunch of idiots Dems are)

Old 08-25-2019, 09:07 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Why does the OP have to lie?

Trump has repeatedly said he won't make any changes to SS and Medicare without bipartisan support.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:07 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
First, you need to learn a very basic fact, deficits ONLY come from spending.
Or revenue cuts. Your basic lack of mathematical understanding is very sad

Old 08-25-2019, 09:08 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Change the age is way to go. Its way too early! IMO, SS should set full retirement at life expectancy less 5 years, with an auto reset every decade based on same criteria.
Uh NO!!! Men have less life expectancy than men. In your example, make womens’ age higher and keep mens’ the same. Erase female privilege.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The content within these links do not support the sensational headlines.
Lol please feel free to link to fact free agenda sites like breitbart or info wars to tell us the real deal

Old 08-25-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Another thread that is nothing but a complete lie.

The deranged Trump haters keep pushing lies because it's all they have.
Denial... It ain't just a river in Egypt.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:10 AM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Considering that the vast majority of retirees depend on social security as their primary income source, any cuts to benefits would result in millions of people becoming destitute. Social Security could easily be made solvent with changes to taxes, and barring the government to dipping into the fund for other expenditures.

Trump however is intent on sky rocketing the national debt to rationalize the need to cut social security and Medicare.
Wow, you had a good post until you went off on Trump regarding the debt. Lets not forget it was Obama who jumped the shark with debt well before Trump ever became a candidate.

Granted most modern presidents from both parties have not been as fiscally responsible as we would like, but then again how fiscally responsible have we been as individuals within our society?
While you cannot blame people on Medicare as much because of the unanticipated skyrocketing of healthcare costs and inaccurate actuarial models built upon life expectancy, SS is a different matter.

Those who are dependent on SS likely lived by the seat of their pants and never planned or budgeted for retirement properly.
Many got caught up in "keeping up with the Jones" and doing so by credit. Yet the things they purchased in many cases were not investments, but consumerism via new cars every few years, expensive vacations, boats, jewelry, clothes, etc., etc. etc.
It is sad, but many people think the government owes them something when in reality they were expected to live within their means, and put away money for a rainy day. Those that didn't will find their "dream" of living a comfortable retirement with travel and spending like they did when they were working will come crashing down.

`

Old 08-25-2019, 09:11 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^^THIS! Most States have UNFUNDED public pension liabilities due to way out of market salaries, benefits and pensions for government employees. The Feds just run up the deficit an debt more each year. It needs to stop, and personnel cuts across every level of government need to take place.

I've paid huge amounts into Social Security and Medicare my entire career. I should get my money back with interest!
Federal Government is under no obligation to pay you a cent in SS and Medicare benefits, let alone refund you.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I guess you've never heard of Ron Paul.
And after decades in office, none of his pitches became legislation.

I appreciated Paul’s consistency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies