Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 10:21 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,766,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This thread is a joke.
Oh really...I don’t know what part of newgland you’re from but I have friends that live in Cambridge, Mass near Harvard square. And I can assure they’re afraid to put anything out that’s patriotic or have to do with MAGA displays without the fear of their home being vandalized or their heads being shot off...but carry on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 10:48 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,898 times
Come mothers, fathers, throughout the land.
Don’t criticize what you can’t understand.
Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command.
And the old road is rapidly aging.
Please get off the new one if you can’t lend your hand,
For the times, they are a-changing.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:05 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,301,434 times
I'd say this is a global trend, not an American one. According to the Pew Research Center, their statistics show the following percentages of people in first world countries who observe a religion:
Sweden 10%; Norway 19%; UK 10%; Germany 10%; France 11%; Spain 22%; Israel 36%; Canada 27%; USA 53%.

One possible reason given for this, per the study:

"One common explanation is that new generations become less religious in tandem with economic development – as collective worries about day-to-day survival become less pervasive and tragic events become less frequent."

I also feel that the decline in having children is a good thing - not otherwise. Where are we going to put everyone if we keep up population growth at today's rates? We cannot grow enough food.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:08 AM

2,486 posts, read 824,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Religion--both political parties have religion but the extreme right has evangelicalism and that far fetched, extreme type of religion is what makes people (kids) rebel, leave religion and never come back.

Having kids--that's due to not being able to afford them. But they do have kids, maybe not 4 or 5, but 1 or 2. Maybe they don't want a lot of kids. This generation prefers travel and other experiences.

Evangelism isn't extreme. Not even sure why this trope is perpetuated. Oh, wait, because people that despise Christianity have made it their target. As a protestant, I have been in many churches from Baptist to Unity. Evangelism shares everything all the other denominations do, except they believe in speaking in tongues. I was never comfortable when they would try to land the holy spirit in me. It didn't feel natural. That's just me.

As long as there's no Bible thumping I'm good with any denomination that believe Jesus died for mans sins. It's that simple.

With the religious portion of our conversation over let's move on to kids:

You are correct, they are having children. Actually, the latest generations are set to have the biggest surge in births since the boomers. It's the Millenials that didn't have children. For some reason when there's an explosion it then skips the next generation. The silent generation didn't have a boom. The next generation did. Millennials didn't have a boom. The Y generation is set to. Their kids (Zs) will slow it down and whatever the next generation will be named should have a boom.

The one thing that has changed is the levels of testosterone in males. They have 30% less than my generation (late boomer). We had sports and a face to face social life, they have social media and a higher percentage of slothful lifestyles that is screwing up the balance in their lives.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:11 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
You have to give the devil his due. Excellent job in destroying the fabric of the ideals America was built on. America the Beautiful. Now America, the damned.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...st-11566738001
I value kindness, love, honesty, courage, compassion, open-mindedness, and reason.

I guess since I prioritize those over chest-thumping about my countries, going through the motions at church/temple, or popping out children just because society says everyone should, that makes me of the devil.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:13 AM

858 posts, read 424,517 times
Quote:
Oh really...I don’t know what part of newgland you’re from but I have friends that live in Cambridge, Mass near Harvard square. And I can assure they’re afraid to put anything out that’s patriotic or have to do with MAGA displays without the fear of their home being vandalized or their heads being shot off...but carry on

How does a Russian TrollBot 5000 have friends?

Old 08-25-2019, 11:25 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,766,158 times
Quote:
. How does a Russian TrollBot 5000 have friends?
That’s interesting I always thought I was Italian...

Old 08-25-2019, 11:38 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Oh, well then. Your anecdotal evidence from your friends that live in Cambridge carries the day. NOT. I just asked my friend who is from Maine if "newglanders" are afraid to put out patriotic displays. He replied that whoever said that is a "conservative snowflake." As the saying goes "As Maine goes, so goes the nation." Therefore I win this so-called debate.

Next.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:39 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
You have to give the devil his due. Excellent job in destroying the fabric of the ideals America was built on. America the Beautiful. Now America, the damned.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...st-11566738001
I personally appreciate people becoming more "equal" in this country. I really didn't care for the ideals America was built on in the first place, what with everybody but property-owning white men being subservient and treated at lesser. I guess you think it was a better time before the Civil Rights Act, women being allowed to vote, prohibition of child labor, etc. No thanks. We still have a LONG way to go though, and I don't know if we'll ever get there.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:42 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Evangelism isn't extreme. Not even sure why this trope is perpetuated. Oh, wait, because people that despise Christianity have made it their target. As a protestant, I have been in many churches from Baptist to Unity. Evangelism shares everything all the other denominations do, except they believe in speaking in tongues. I was never comfortable when they would try to land the holy spirit in me. It didn't feel natural. That's just me.

As long as there's no Bible thumping I'm good with any denomination that believe Jesus died for mans sins. It's that simple.

With the religious portion of our conversation over let's move on to kids:

You are correct, they are having children. Actually, the latest generations are set to have the biggest surge in births since the boomers. It's the Millenials that didn't have children. For some reason when there's an explosion it then skips the next generation. The silent generation didn't have a boom. The next generation did. Millennials didn't have a boom. The Y generation is set to. Their kids (Zs) will slow it down and whatever the next generation will be named should have a boom.

The one thing that has changed is the levels of testosterone in males. They have 30% less than my generation (late boomer). We had sports and a face to face social life, they have social media and a higher percentage of slothful lifestyles that is screwing up the balance in their lives.
Evangelism by definition is extreme. I have no problem with people being as religious or devout as they want to be. My problem comes in when they try to push that lifestyle on me or other people. There are many churches, Baptist comes to mind, that are evangelistic but do not believe in speaking in tongues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies