U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Barrington
47,002 posts, read 34,530,176 times
Reputation: 15596

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well, then, there you have it. Perhaps if the US had a public school system that actually teaches students HOW to think instead of WHAT to think, our population wouldn't be so indoctrinated into a materialistic-centric lifestyle and people would choose to do without the products/services sold by corporations like Apple and Google (includes Android products/services) that exploit cheap foreign labor and lower-paid H-1B workers to line their pockets with huge profits.

Again... the number one culprit: the US public school system.

Yep. Try fighting against that. Everyone would have to accept a lower standard of living and few, if any, are willing to do so.
The average size of a new home in the US has nearly trebled since 1950, despite a substantial decline in the birth rate, over the same time period.

That somehow is the result of the public school system? Give me a break.

The US was built on the premise of bigger, better and more. If the population and government were to magically choose to live within their means, the standard of living would substantially decline and the economy would collapse and take the rest of the world with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 08:58 AM
 
12,583 posts, read 3,404,869 times
Reputation: 4233
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well, then, there you have it. Perhaps if the US had a public school system that actually teaches students HOW to think instead of WHAT to think, our population wouldn't be so indoctrinated into a materialistic-centric lifestyle and people would choose to do without the products/services sold by corporations like Apple and Google (includes Android products/services) that exploit cheap foreign labor and lower-paid H-1B workers to line their pockets with huge profits.

Again... the number one culprit: the US public school system.

Yep. Try fighting against that. Everyone would have to accept a lower standard of living and few, if any, are willing to do so.
While I was growing up, my father often said "The Jesuits teach you how to think". He had a Jesuit education from first grade through graduating from college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,976 posts, read 2,796,150 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The average size of a new home in the US has nearly trebled since 1950, despite a substantial decline in the birth rate, over the same time period.

That somehow is the result of the public school system? Give me a break.

The US was built on the premise of bigger, better and more. If the population and government were to magically choose to live within their means, the standard of living would substantially decline and the economy would collapse and take the rest of the world with it.
That would be a good thing, I hate our economic model where people need to buy more to keep commerce churning. Americans must live in a humbler more primitive society.

Anyways government policies are meant to promote spending and work behavior to maximize productivity. From tax policies to IP laws, to rent and interest rates, people are pressured to pursue a line of work that can keep them from being buried in debt, the financial system prioritizes speculation which drives up prices and property taxes, and expenses increase as you know need a car to get to work, or GPS to navigate the increasingly intricate highway systems in this country.

People have become dependent consumers buying and promoting corporate wealth while the well being of our society continues to erode. And the government prioritizes corporate investment and financial deregulation as they are the number one factors to increasing tax revenue. Meanwhile the interests of small folk are no longer independent from international bankers and financiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:03 AM
 
67,159 posts, read 30,776,532 times
Reputation: 8814
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The average size of a new home in the US has nearly trebled since 1950, despite a substantial decline in the birth rate, over the same time period.

That somehow is the result of the public school system? Give me a break.

The US was built on the premise of bigger, better and more. If the population and government were to magically choose to live within their means, the standard of living would substantially decline and the economy would collapse and take the rest of the world with it.
Ignore reality if you must...

Millennials. The least competent generation, to date, in US history.

Quote:
"U.S. millennials performed horribly.

That might even be an understatement, given the extent of the American shortcomings. No matter how you sliced the data – by class, by race, by education – young Americans were laggards compared to their international peers. In every subject, U.S. millennials ranked at the bottom or very close to it, according to a new study by testing company ETS.

“We were taken aback,” said ETS researcher Anita Sands. “We tend to think millennials are really savvy in this area. But that’s not what we are seeing.”

...This exam [OECD's PIAAC], given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society. And U.S. millennials performed horribly...

But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope.

U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Top-scoring US millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain. The bottom scorers (10th percentile) also lagged behind their peers."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.caf173a2db29

Let that sink in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:06 AM
 
67,159 posts, read 30,776,532 times
Reputation: 8814
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
While I was growing up, my father often said "The Jesuits teach you how to think". He had a Jesuit education from first grade through graduating from college.
Yep. Religious order schools are the only ones that buck the low socioeconomic level = low academic achievement correlation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:10 AM
 
Location: USA
20,162 posts, read 14,919,254 times
Reputation: 12976
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And that benefits the millions of US workers/retirees who have $28 trillion invested in their pension/retirement accounts via stock shares, corporate debt, etc.
And that is true too. The nature of the beast is for corporations to expand and take advantage of their environments, and to garner favor with Politicians. This of course leads to corruption with the Corporations controlling the politicians. Leftists would like you to believe that these Corporations are made up of those on the right. In reality, the Bill Gate's and Jeff Bezos of the world like to act like they are Left leaning, but in reality it's the opposite.


"How Amazon Paid $0 Federal Income Tax in 2018"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNg55JDMDHM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top