U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 12:03 PM
 
Location: *
8,187 posts, read 2,475,449 times
Reputation: 2265

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Politicians who take corporate checks will gladly disagree.
Politicians are people, corporations are not.

Although giving a pass to Jay-Z:

Quote:
I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,791 posts, read 1,995,393 times
Reputation: 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The apolitical definition of a corporation...I have no problem with. It means, in a stateless society, a voluntary collective with a purview strictly limited to the adherents. Your voluntary collective is able to negotiate business matters at a swifter, more efficient clip (in theory) through voluntary private insurance, voluntary private resolution councils, and voluntary private criminal justice proceedings...if that's how you want to roll.

The political definition of a "corporation" is a legal term and only exists under the State. It is a State subsidiary licensed to effectively operate outside the State's laws and regulations when it's not writing and enforcing them on the State's behalf. A corporation, in this setting, is a statist creation and an abomination. Pure evil.

I know the posters who will accept this truism and the ones who will not. Should we start signing our names to the bottom?

Shut the thread down. Nothing more needs to be said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:09 PM
 
Location: SGV
25,397 posts, read 9,886,503 times
Reputation: 9862
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Shut the thread down. Nothing more needs to be said.
I cheated. I read books outside of my government school.

Doesn't count.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:10 PM
 
13,094 posts, read 4,027,835 times
Reputation: 3929
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The apolitical definition of a corporation...I have no problem with. It means, in a stateless society, a voluntary collective with a purview strictly limited to the adherents. Your voluntary collective is able to negotiate business matters at a swifter, more efficient clip (in theory) through voluntary private insurance, voluntary private resolution councils, and voluntary private criminal justice proceedings...if that's how you want to roll.

In other words you just want to replace the state with a private royalty state or deep state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:15 PM
 
Location: SGV
25,397 posts, read 9,886,503 times
Reputation: 9862
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
In other words you just want to replace the state with a private royalty state or deep state.
Oh lord, not this again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Here.
14,055 posts, read 12,766,676 times
Reputation: 16488
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
For those who donít understand what a corporation is, a corporation is merely a group of people VOLUNTARILY organized together to provide certain goods and services.

So why are they evil?
Because the left believe we should be INvoluntarily forced to do whatever they want, i.e. socialism/communism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
1,894 posts, read 3,800,119 times
Reputation: 3300
This sounds a lot like an argument I have about one a year with my stepson.

As others have said, corporations are not evil, nor are they good. They are a vahicle to conduct business. I think they are important to entrepreneurism and scientific progress because it allows people with ideas to get funding from people with money and limit their potential personal liability, which stimulates innovation.

Can a corporation be used for immoral purposes? Of course, but that is the impact of the officers and directors, not the corporation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:04 PM
 
16,345 posts, read 4,301,859 times
Reputation: 11497
Lack of Responsibility is really the root of evil. Large organizations are purposely set up as fail-safe, whether it is the military or your police force of a polluting corporation/

DuPont broke off a new company as soon as it found out Teflon had polluted groundwater and was bad in other ways. The new company....is exactly where the old one was.

My daughter, an environmental attorney, has often had to dig through dozens of shell corporations to find out who poisoned a river.....forever! Usually, the end result is something like Shell Oil or whatever, but without millions of dollars you can't get to them.

Watch as the big Opiate makers just declare bankruptcy. Meanwhile, the families involved have their billions.

If people were moral and ethical we wouldn't need government and we wouldn't need as many rules. But many corporate structures simply cry out "hey, take the money and run"....which is quite sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:14 PM
 
13,094 posts, read 4,027,835 times
Reputation: 3929
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Lack of Responsibility is really the root of evil. Large organizations are purposely set up as fail-safe, whether it is the military or your police force of a polluting corporation/

DuPont broke off a new company as soon as it found out Teflon had polluted groundwater and was bad in other ways. The new company....is exactly where the old one was.

My daughter, an environmental attorney, has often had to dig through dozens of shell corporations to find out who poisoned a river.....forever! Usually, the end result is something like Shell Oil or whatever, but without millions of dollars you can't get to them.

Watch as the big Opiate makers just declare bankruptcy. Meanwhile, the families involved have their billions.

If people were moral and ethical we wouldn't need government and we wouldn't need as many rules. But many corporate structures simply cry out "hey, take the money and run"....which is quite sad.
If people were moral and ethical we'd have a better government. It's a catch 22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:20 PM
 
Location: California
692 posts, read 498,246 times
Reputation: 998
I remember reading that the majority of CEOs show signs of being a sociopath. The same issue seems to inflict politicians too, many of whom have unquestionable blind lust for power (Trump, Xi Jingping etc).

So the majority of the people working at these corporations are good. Unfortunately, the crazies that get the top leadership spots are concerned mostly only about quarterly results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top