U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM
 
30,586 posts, read 15,812,486 times
Reputation: 20455

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm not going to say corporations reward negative behavior and punish positive ones since that is a subjective term, but when you give so much power into the hands of executives to pursue their own interests they end up harming the thousands of workers, contractors, adjacent businesses, environmental health, and social health of society.

The problem is corporations have too much power and control over our financial system and consumption habits, often they go as far as organizing our social behaviors through controlled product introduction, removal of competing services, price manipulation, and marketing/product placement.
Government is the biggest and best tool for corporations to stop competition and manipulate finances.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM
 
19,233 posts, read 9,806,978 times
Reputation: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm not going to say corporations reward negative behavior and punish positive ones since that is a subjective term, but when you give so much power into the hands of executives to pursue their own interests they end up harming the thousands of workers, contractors, adjacent businesses, environmental health, and social health of society.

The problem is corporations have too much power and control over our financial system and consumption habits, often they go as far as organizing our social behaviors through controlled product introduction, removal of competing services, price manipulation, and marketing/product placement.
What do you think government is? Itís a corporation! And itís a corporation with monopoly on violence.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM
 
19,233 posts, read 9,806,978 times
Reputation: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Because typically they:

1. Convince people that they have a problem and need a product that they really donít. Then convince them to overpay for it.

Or

2. Are involved with transactions and add costs that donít need to be added.

Think about this. We saw a huge increase in life expectancy because of improved food water standards, antibiotics and vaccines. A large portion of this can be attributed to public funding. Currently we are seeing a drop in life expectancy attributable to sedentary lifestyle and the opioid epidemic largely brought to you by corporate America.
Are you saying people are stupid and you are the only smart one?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM
 
19,233 posts, read 9,806,978 times
Reputation: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Why are corporations so evil?


They are not evil. They are just machines.

For instance, humans with a heart (and soul) might say that having received an enormous windfall tax break that companies would feel morally obligated to pass at least some of that along to employees in the form of increased wages. Certainly Steve Mnuchin wanted us to think so.

But corporations are no respecters of morality ... they do not have a heart, they are not real people, they are machines. "Shareholder Value" is the only principle these machines are designed for. That is all they can reasonably be expected to do.
It sounds like you have the monopoly on morality.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM
 
Location: *
8,202 posts, read 2,484,025 times
Reputation: 2266
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Government is the biggest and best tool for corporations to stop competition and manipulate finances.
Corporate lobby corporations, with their inherent potential for immortality, are corporations' biggest & best tool to be used against the flesh, blood, & bones people by removing the regulatory functions of government for the protections of the people.

As per the Preamble of the US Constitution, it's 'we the people' not 'we the corporations'.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Barrington
47,002 posts, read 34,530,176 times
Reputation: 15594
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
For those who don’t understand what a corporation is, a corporation is merely a group of people VOLUNTARILY organized together to provide certain goods and services.

So why are they evil?
There are 1.7 million traditional C corporations in the US.

A corporation is a legal framework.

The primary reasons to form a corporation include:

Limited liability
Raising capital
Flexible ownership structure
Tax deductions

The stock of most corporations is privately held- not publicly traded.

No idea what YOUR criteria is to determine evil, corporation vs sole proprietorship. Both tend to have the same profit motivation.

Not for profit corporations are not precluded from profiting. Rather, they cannot use those profits to declare dividends to shareholders.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM
 
7,190 posts, read 2,608,028 times
Reputation: 3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
In other words....
Everything that follows this opening is a straw man argument. Period.

There are no other words because No_Recess was good enough to type his ACTUAL words. Address that argument, not what you have inferred/invented out that argument.

Logic 101. Read a book FFS.

On topic - the government is inherently and entirely evil by definition, therefore all of its creations and machinations are evil by definition. The corporation backed by the state is one such evil. Not very complicated when you distill the thing down to its essence.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Barrington
47,002 posts, read 34,530,176 times
Reputation: 15594
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Corporations are in it for the money. The love of money is the root of all evil. Corporations counted the same as people only made them more evil and allied with the government from their corporate donations.
No different than sole proprietorships that rely on trade associations to lobby on their behalf.

Businesses that don’t profit don’t survive.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,976 posts, read 2,796,150 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If that were actually true, they would cease to exist. Corporations are symbiotic (so to speak), not parasitic. If there was so much public uproar over their business, hiring, etc., practices, few would buy their products/services and they would cease to exist.

Take Apple or Google (includes Android products/services), for example. They have overseas production and/or use lower-paid H-1B workers, bypassing paying higher wages to US workers, and therefore have huge net profit margins. And how many people refuse to buy/use their products/services? Not many. Why not? They're providing goods and services people want at a price people are willing to pay.
Consumers rarely behave according to moral principle. The whole point of materialism is to form a passive population through excessive consumption.

Its like a drug addiction, people become reliant on consumer entertainment and work related products to live while the social underlining of our society erodes.

Small businesses may not be efficient, but they provide a community forward direction that something as homogeneous as a Walmart does not.

And even as far as the argument that big businesses pay workers more, they also raise cost of living and supercharge government policy to promote their invest economic viability.

Financial institutions are important because corporations are important, and as long as they are responsible for mass employment and production capacity the government will continue to cater them.

Consumers almost always pick the cheaper/better product because they don't evaluate long term costs or consequences.

Corporate America uses that to their advantage building a reliable population that behaves in a predictable manner.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM
 
37,955 posts, read 16,412,292 times
Reputation: 8597
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
For those who donít understand what a corporation is, a corporation is merely a group of people VOLUNTARILY organized together to provide certain goods and services.

So why are they evil?
"Why are corporations so evil? Why do posters make up stories?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top