Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 11:41 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,474,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Did they get Communion at Mass?

That would be a violation of Judaism and Catholicism (I know the latter for sure). Wouldn't that put a tear in the space-time continuum essentially destroying the universe?

You didn't mess around with the Jesuits for fear of their wrath, so no, they didn't even try that.

But Jesus, being a nice Jewish lad, wouldn't have minded if they had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Oh yes. I agree. I was not disagreeing with you. Sorry for presenting it as such.
Not a problem - it happens to me alllllll the time.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:45 AM

36,858 posts, read 17,234,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You didn't mess around with the Jesuits for fear of their wrath, so no, they didn't even try that.

But Jesus, being a nice Jewish lad, wouldn't have minded if they had.
Haha.

Good answer.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:48 AM

10,181 posts, read 6,238,153 times
Quote:
I guess you missed the post I had quoted that I was responding to, in an effort to explain that my Catholic school seemed to have handled it well compared to some public schools back in the day.
Yes, we did not go to Religion classes and sit around reading the Bible. By HS age we had to take what is now known as Comparative Religion, ALL of them. Who founded this religion, what are the views of the religion, etc., etc. We even read the Koran in Catholic school back decades ago! Oh, NO. The Catholic philosophy of this was that you cannot defend your own religion when you do not know what the other religions are all about!

For my Senior Religion Paper I did it on Atheism. Made the case why there is no god. Horror NO! I got an A on my paper because they thought I presented the case very well; whether or not it was agreed with.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:01 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,432,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The notion that morality is the sole purview of religion is a truly scary notion since it predicates on the notion that a person only does what is supposedly right because god says so.
Exactly, if you think people need religion to have morals you need a new religion.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Yes, we did not go to Religion classes and sit around reading the Bible. By HS age we had to take what is now known as Comparative Religion, ALL of them. Who founded this religion, what are the views of the religion, etc., etc. We even read the Koran in Catholic school back decades ago! Oh, NO. The Catholic philosophy of this was that you cannot defend your own religion when you do not know what the other religions are all about!

For my Senior Religion Paper I did it on Atheism. Made the case why there is no god. Horror NO! I got an A on my paper because they thought I presented the case very well; whether or not it was agreed with.
We did, as well. Taoism, Buddhism, Judaism, etc. It satisfied a religious class for the year. Everything they did involved broadening our world view and exposing us to as many people with different backgrounds as possible. I did volunteer work with Native Americans, delivered full meals to people in Cabrini Green during Thanksgiving week, and got involved mentoring kids living in poverty. (Thank you, Jesuits!)

During my early years in grade school, they taught a lot of 'Catholics are the only religion, blah blah blah'. That either changed with Vatican II or the curriculum was just different after I got to 4th or 5th grade because we no longer heard that. In high school, our religion was never discussed at all. We prayed each morning and had a monthly mass, but that was it. Big on ethics and morality, however, I'll say that much.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:20 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,244,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
We all benefit from an educated populace. Pay up.
A populace which is unacquainted with the impact and importance of religion to billions of people throughout history and in the contemporary world, as well as the religious inspiration for countless masterpieces of art, music, and literature, cannot seriously be considered educated.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:24 PM

50,028 posts, read 63,371,030 times
Quote:
When I went to Catholic high school there were Jewish students who were told they were not expected to pray with us but could take a moment of silence or say their own prayer to themselves. They were also offered the option of going to study hall instead of Mass.

My buddies who were Jewish went to Mass instead of study hall.
Of course, there would understandably be prayer in a Catholic school. I’ve no problem with that. I did hear a story about a parochial school in my town. A Muslim family had applied to send their children there, but the mother wanted them exempted from attending church services. She was told, since it was a catholic school, everyone would attend services.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:28 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,130,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A populace which is unacquainted with the impact and importance of religion to billions of people throughout history and in the contemporary world, as well as the religious inspiration for countless masterpieces of art, music, and literature, cannot seriously be considered educated.
There are soooo many things that to be educated could and maybe should encompass. I do believe that world religions, religious history is a very important part of our education. That is not quite the same thing as praying in school or for football wins, of course.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Of course, there would understandably be prayer in a Catholic school. I’ve no problem with that. I did hear a story about a parochial school in my town. A Muslim family had applied to send their children there, but the mother wanted them exempted from attending church services. She was told, since it was a catholic school, everyone would attend services.
That's very foolish on their part. Take the tuition and run. It's not like Catholic schools are flooded with students these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies