U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2019, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
21,654 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Reputation: 20710

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Of course, there would understandably be prayer in a Catholic school. Iíve no problem with that. I did hear a story about a parochial school in my town. A Muslim family had applied to send their children there, but the mother wanted them exempted from attending church services. She was told, since it was a catholic school, everyone would attend services.
That's very foolish on their part. Take the tuition and run. It's not like Catholic schools are flooded with students these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2019, 11:31 AM
 
13,332 posts, read 10,214,802 times
Reputation: 16840
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That's very foolish on their part. Take the tuition and run. It's not like Catholic schools are flooded with students these days.
Not everything is about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 12:12 PM
 
67,278 posts, read 30,883,706 times
Reputation: 8833
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
No. The top private schools in my area are 25k+ (probably 30k+ at this point) a year. While it is cheaper in the lower tiers (but still expensive), those schools are not at the level of my public school district for the most part.

Also, the problem with the vouchers is this: what if somebody that didn't pay into the public system (by getting vouchers) at some point decides to switch their kids to public schools. Yes, they would start paying at this point, but that does no cover the expense. See, I paid school property taxes for many years before I had kids. We pay a lot per year, but that still would not cover the yearly education expense.


Lastly, about vouchers again, I'm sure if those are introduced here, say up to 15k a year, the above tuition will miraculously grow to 40k...
How in the world do you NOT know that real estate taxes pay for public schools? Even renters pay as the cost of real estate taxes is factored into the price of their rent. When the public school does not meet students' educational needs, WHY do they have to be trapped in that public school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,768 posts, read 16,082,437 times
Reputation: 9981
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Interestingly, my child can do geometry, algebra and fun stuff like that. She can now even speak Spanish. I am not a fan of the history curriculum. If anything was a conservative propaganda, that is it. Cheer to the wonderfulness of US! Blind patriotism WOOO. But even that is getting better.
History is seen in the lens you look at it. I would be a blind patriot but politically I align more liberal than conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 12:15 PM
 
13,332 posts, read 10,214,802 times
Reputation: 16840
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How in the world do you NOT know that real estate taxes pay for public schools? Even renters pay as the cost of real estate taxes is factored into the price of their rent. When the public school does not meet students' educational needs, WHY do they have to be trapped in that public school?
Well for many, they really aren't. We, for instance, chose to home school. I get that there is a huge disparity of income and ability. I strongly think that this should be addressed in terms of funding. I wish we were closer than we are. Not sure what any of this has to do with religion in public school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 12:18 PM
 
13,332 posts, read 10,214,802 times
Reputation: 16840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
History is seen in the lens you look at it.
That is a load of crap. There are real things that really happened and things that can AND SHOULD be understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 12:19 PM
 
67,278 posts, read 30,883,706 times
Reputation: 8833
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Well for many, they really aren't. We, for instance, chose to home school. I get that there is a huge disparity of income and ability. I strongly think that this should be addressed in terms of funding. I wish we were closer than we are. Not sure what any of this has to do with religion in public school.
It really doesn't have anything to do with religion in public schools but has much more to do with Dems and teachers unions refusing to allow vouchers/school choice. Trapping students in public schools that don't meet their educational needs is abominable. It's horrific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,768 posts, read 16,082,437 times
Reputation: 9981
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That is a load of crap. There are real things that really happened and things that can AND SHOULD be understood.
Did I say that? I didn't say to whitewash it and not go real. What I did say however was that there are different lens to view them. Of course a conservative will say the government wanted to invade on state's rights and that is what caused the Civil War while a liberal would say slavery and the south's reliance on cash crops did. I say both are right. The problem is few history teachers truly look objective and most have some sort of agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 12:23 PM
 
13,332 posts, read 10,214,802 times
Reputation: 16840
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It really doesn't have anything to do with religion in public schools but has much more to do with Dems and teachers unions refusing to allow vouchers/school choice. Trapping students in public schools that don't meet their educational needs is abominable. It's horrific.
Yah not a fan of the way the teacher's union has a stranglehold on things it shouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 12:37 PM
 
13,332 posts, read 10,214,802 times
Reputation: 16840
^^ That said, there are genuine and correct concerns wrt to vouchers that need to be addressed before just smacking them down into the system makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top