U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 12:45 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,053,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What does that "propaganda" look like to you? What I see is

- Don't judge other people for who they are.
- Don't bully other kids.

And the like. I see things like

Different families are different. This is a FACT. And it really is not, historically, all that different than the way schools allowed new inter racial family examples into their dialog and literature. This is GOOD since we know the feeling of belonging is necessary for learning. School is not the place to tell kids that one person's god is better than another person's god because the upshot of this is to cause total strife in the community.

So what do you find is objectionable indoctrination in this area? Do you feel that people are being told that they ought to be gay? Because I don't see it.
Reading "Heather has Two Mommies to kindergartners for starters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 12:48 PM

9,457 posts, read 8,132,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
Reading "Heather has Two Mommies to kindergartners for starters

How is the idea of two mommies more damaging than the idea of a mommy and a daddy?

Old 08-27-2019, 12:50 PM

30,572 posts, read 16,939,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
But, you know what, back then, we weren't seeing the mass shootings that we are today. I personally definitely believe taking out some kind of God out of the schools started the eroding of our kids. They no longer had that little voice in the back of their heads telling them if they do bad things, they will go to hell.

Either way, I think the teachers are still protected under the first amendment.
Take them to CHURCH and they will hear that little voice on the back of their head.

As God allowed a congregation in a CHURCH to be shot up and murdered - I don't think that is what is causing school shootings.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:13 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,030,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How in the world do you NOT know that real estate taxes pay for public schools? Even renters pay as the cost of real estate taxes is factored into the price of their rent. When the public school does not meet students' educational needs, WHY do they have to be trapped in that public school?

Lol. Did you read what I wrote?

Old 08-27-2019, 01:17 PM

67,261 posts, read 30,873,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol. Did you read what I wrote?
So, you agree, that vouchers permitting school choice are warranted.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
How is the idea of two mommies more damaging than the idea of a mommy and a daddy?
anything I say will have you call me a homophobic bigot, and not listen, so try this, and he was trying to push her big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V73Y1HsDKWs

Old 08-27-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-M-O View Post
Why a lot of NY Jewish people are bigoted like my parents?
Maybe they should teach the fifth commandment in the public schools.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-M-O View Post
Nope, because the ten commandments goes against everything about the US Constitution.
you missed the point, and if you didn't maybe the should stop teaching Greek tragedies and start teaching Jewish comedies.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:51 PM

15,652 posts, read 8,048,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudAtheist View Post
Should teachers, administrators, etc. impose their "religion" on their students in public schools? I was just looking back at my life/thinking there were a few teachers I knew (really old, retired from years ago) that thought they could get away with scaring students with their version of "God" in the classroom. Sure, it instilled discipline in students, but there were better ways to do that.

It's true and it's outstanding that we live in a free nation, but think about this: years ago (maybe now in some places), a teacher or administrator's of "God" was imposed in a public school classroom. I don't think was right. You know, there's a reason we have special, private, religious schools. What are your thoughts? For the record, I am talking about religious conservatives only.
No, teachers shouldn't impose their religion on students in public schools.

That said, I never experienced that growing up. The only mention of religion in school was the Pledge of Allegiance. I grew up in the 1980s/1990s.

I'm also an atheist and consider myself a secular humanist. I don't believe that people need to be afraid of God to be a "good" person and I don't believe religion has a place in public school other than as a subject being taught from an academic perspective.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:28 PM

9,457 posts, read 8,132,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
anything I say will have you call me a homophobic bigot, and not listen, so try this, and he was trying to push her big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V73Y1HsDKWs

She's welcome to her opinions, certainly. Show me some data that demonstrates that children of same-sex couples do substantively worse in school or life when compared to children of opposite-sex couples.

Are same-sex couples less damaging as a parental unit than single-parent households?

Do you figure that a child who has same-sex parents might benefit some by people explaining to their peers - the other children - that "some people have two mommies or two daddies" and that's OK and not something to be castigated?

Further, her comment near the end about dignity is completely out of touch. Non-married couples, even opposite-sex non-married couples get treated differently than married couples. We might wish it weren't so, but we're not there, yet, as a society. No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or