U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 02:43 PM

67,252 posts, read 30,873,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Preaching religion it is what Iím meaning. Anything to do with the word God/s doesnít belong in our schools.
Many public high schools teach a World Religion class just to give a very basic view of the various religions practiced around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 03:16 PM

30,834 posts, read 20,349,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Think again. Morals are whatever is on the law books since that is the only thing that is enforceable. Anything else is just someone's private idea but has no effect on society. And what is this "soul" thing you speak of?
So, Gandhi and MLK were wrong to oppose immoral laws?

Nazis were morally justified in killing innocent people because the law said it was OK to do so?

Old 08-26-2019, 03:35 PM

5,412 posts, read 1,070,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Either you allow any/all religions or anything that anyone wishes to call that, to have space and function in a school...or you allow none. And that's the point of contention that has many/most school districts feeling it might be better to simply have none. But another poster was correct in mentioning organizations such as the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Because they existed in one high school I attended, and held morning prayers around the flag pole, another group led by some friends of mine, basically comprised of a bunch of edgy, rebellious little heathens seeing an opportunity to stir things up, successfully argued their right to hold pagan prayers on school grounds each morning, also. Thus also skipping the tedium of home-room class period every day.

Regarding LGBTQ+, again...either you allow space for all orientations, or none. But the easy solution to both of these concerns in many public schools I, and my sons, attended, was to allow for various things but to also make them voluntary, not mandatory. (I don't think that it's even mandatory to say the Pledge, it wasn't when I was in school in the 90s in Virginia.) Certainly the Fellowship for Christian Athletes isn't a mandatory program. I opted my son out of sex ed and taught him myself. My main reason was that he was already struggling with a lot of social anxiety and peer-related melodrama and I felt it unnecessary for him to have to sit in a room full of other teenagers discussing sex. Especially since I felt perfectly capable of educating him, and probably doing a better job. My thinking was only reinforced by the fact that I had the teacher of that class call me, and try to convince me to have him participate, by assuring me that it was an "abstinence only" class. Well I'm firmly against such things, and I told her that if anything I was even more certain that I wanted to teach him, since "abstinence only" rarely covers things like proper consent.
This is similar to some universities. You should allow for rooms/safe spaces for liberal-minded folk and the same for conservative-minded folk. Now, as far as who will act more like an SJW when upset, that is another thread.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:56 PM

21,645 posts, read 10,416,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Dude, worry not, public school teachers and/or administrators do not get to share their view of God with students in a public school setting. For pityís sake, in a large percentage of school systems teachers arenít even allowed to say the word Christmas. Additionally, they are more than free to share their view of secularism or the evils of religion. Your team won this one already.
Exactly, and that's been for the past 25 - 30 years. Winter break, holiday break. No mention of anything Christian.

I think the OP is about 20 years too late on this.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:02 PM

5,771 posts, read 2,133,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Let parents opt out of the state system, if its so good they can stay and voluntarily fund it. Why on earth would you be opposed to letting people spend their own money on what they feel are the best education choices for their own children?

In a civilized nation education benefits society as a whole and therefore must be paid for collectively. You can't opt out of police and fire, right? You also can't withhold federal taxes because you want to opt out of military protection.

If people were allowed to opt out of public education _and_ not pay, it would be wipe open to abuse. We already have a huge problem with wealth inequality; we don't need to create a big education inequality problem as well.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:12 PM

6,138 posts, read 2,866,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
This has not been my personal experience. My kids attend/attended public school in Texas, and teachers frequently discussed their faith, had crosses or bible verses displayed in the classroom and asked students what churches they attended.

There are multiple religious student groups on campus - Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Lightbringers, Prayer at the Pole - all of which have a faculty sponsor. Prayers are said before football games, band performances, plays.

We are an atheist family, and I wasn't crazy about this level of religiosity in a public school but I kept my mouth shut most of the time. I did contact the school when one teacher told my daughter she would be more likely to pass his class if she went to church and challenged the class to convert her.
That is quite surprising to hear. I never knew what religion my teachers subscribed to except for one who was Jewish and we were discussing the Holocaust in class.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:48 PM

25,962 posts, read 10,012,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
In a civilized nation
Nothing says "civilized" like a gun to your head.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:50 PM

35,989 posts, read 32,699,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Preaching religion it is what Iím meaning. Anything to do with the word God/s doesnít belong in our schools.
We replaced the study of God with school shootings. Maybe we need to take another look.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:36 PM

9,058 posts, read 5,210,367 times
it be nice if the school just taught the basics again

Old 08-26-2019, 05:48 PM

318 posts, read 59,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Public schools do both - educate & indoctrinate. As long as the indoctrination is in what makes a good citizen - patriotism, community, tolerance, our political process, the Constitution, & so on - that's is a positive, & one of the things we're looking for from our public schools.
You are wrong. Indoctrination always creates only slaves, which is not far from what we see today in US.
They only way to create a free person is to promote free thinking. Yeap, the one Sokrates was killed for: "always question everything, especially the authority".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or