U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 01:26 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,054,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
It's not the leftists fault if calling out-groups such severely disparaging names just short or outright calling for their murder encourages people to murder them. The historical record speaks strongly in favor of the "leftist" claim.

See above. Beyond this, conservatism (of the Edmund Burke type) calls for prudent careful thought about a matter before changing it. True conservatism does not call for even encouraging belittlement of society's out-groups, much less genocide.

Rwanda's genocide dovetails pretty well with Nazi attitudes, methods, and tactics[1] - even if the 1990s massacre weren't as highly organized and systemized as the 1940s one. In the end, it doesn't matter who or what the Nazis or Hutus considered "distastefully inferior". All that matters is that some out-group was considered such, and encouraging belittlement, disparaging, bullying, and hatred against them leads to s**t like this.

[1] A better German analogy to the genocide in organization level, if not scale, is Kristalnacht, when mobs vandalized and ransacked Jewish-owned shops, synagogues, etc. This still counts.
You mean how the left paints religious people as nazis, history shows that calling one group of people a deadly threat, can make the populace murder the ones who are supposedly the deadly threat.

Today the jewish community is deathly afraid of America thanks to your anti religious and Jewish behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 02:07 AM

13,744 posts, read 4,135,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
You mean how the left paints religious people as nazis, history shows that calling one group of people a deadly threat, can make the populace murder the ones who are supposedly the deadly threat.
Exactly, the left paints religious and conservative people as a deadly threat by associating them with or labeling them nazis and such. And how is a deadly threat treated and dealt with?

If someone says he doesn't want LBGT promoted in public schools or doesn't want mass immigration from everywhere, then it's just what he said, not some label leftist place on it or what some other group did one place in the 1940s or another in the 1990s.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:28 AM

6,450 posts, read 5,532,621 times
15 years ago, at youngest DD's parent/teacher conference (she was in fifth or sixth grade at the time), the teacher brought up DD's preoccupation with the "occult". A big fan of Tim Burton, her drawings reflected this and, even then, she had a preference for goth style clothes. What really brought up the teacher's concern was when DD and I went to a Psychic Fair one weekend, and she told her classmates all about auras, tarots, etc. The teacher, obviously Christian, found this disturbing. She asked us if DD went to Sunday School (answer "no"). FYI, we don't attend church.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:40 AM

3,692 posts, read 1,010,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudAtheist View Post
Should teachers, administrators, etc. impose their "religion" on their students in public schools? I was just looking back at my life/thinking there were a few teachers I knew (really old, retired from years ago) that thought they could get away with scaring students with their version of "God" in the classroom. Sure, it instilled discipline in students, but there were better ways to do that.

It's true and it's outstanding that we live in a free nation, but think about this: years ago (maybe now in some places), a teacher or administrator's of "God" was imposed in a public school classroom. I don't think was right. You know, there's a reason we have special, private, religious schools. What are your thoughts? For the record, I am talking about religious conservatives only.
But, you know what, back then, we weren't seeing the mass shootings that we are today. I personally definitely believe taking out some kind of God out of the schools started the eroding of our kids. They no longer had that little voice in the back of their heads telling them if they do bad things, they will go to hell.

Either way, I think the teachers are still protected under the first amendment.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:13 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,054,325 times
I firmly believe that lgbt acceptance propaganda is a religion, are you going to agree to remove it from the public schools?

Old 08-27-2019, 06:17 AM

30,837 posts, read 20,352,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Preaching there is no God and a moraless society, is any different?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Morals are taught by your parents if you donít have morals then the blame is on them. Or you donít have a soul.

You didn't answer the question.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:36 AM

7,096 posts, read 6,352,122 times
The bible is allowed to be taught in public schools as "literature".

And this is a good thing. I mean in what other book can you get an illustration of the comparative anatomy of a donkey and a horse and an Egyptian male?

Old 08-27-2019, 07:04 AM

6,707 posts, read 3,705,098 times
Back in the 90's my daughter's HS Homeroom Teacher asked the class to stand for a Moment of Silence at the beginning of class.

Students got up and walked out of class, and to the Principal's Office to report her. They told him it was a backhanded way of telling them to pray. It went all around the school and home to parents who called the school objecting to this.

The Teacher was reprimanded and never did this again. My daughter, along with several others, just sat in their seats. She said not one single student stood up.

Edit: What do you think the reaction would have been if she had starting leading them in an actual prayer?

Old 08-27-2019, 07:08 AM

67,278 posts, read 30,883,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Back in the 90's my daughter's HS Homeroom Teacher asked the class to stand for a Moment of Silence at the beginning of class.

Students got up and walked out of class, and to the Principal's Office to report her. They told him it was a backhanded way of telling them to pray. It went all around the school and home to parents who called the school objecting to this.

The Teacher was reprimanded and never did this again. My daughter, along with several others, just sat in their seats. She said not one single student stood up.

Edit: What do you think the reaction would have been if she had starting leading them in an actual prayer?
A moment of silence? Meditation is nondenominational. Sounds like a bunch of snowflakes created artificial drama where there was none.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:14 AM

13,332 posts, read 10,214,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudAtheist View Post
Should teachers, administrators, etc. impose their "religion" on their students in public schools?
\
Why are you even asking this? Of course not.

Quote:
I was just looking back at my life/thinking there were a few teachers I knew (really old, retired from years ago) that thought they could get away with scaring students with their version of "God" in the classroom. Sure, it instilled discipline in students, but there were better ways to do that.
It did not instill discipline. It probably instilled fear.

Quote:
It's true and it's outstanding that we live in a free nation, but think about this: years ago (maybe now in some places), a teacher or administrator's of "God" was imposed in a public school classroom. I don't think was right. You know, there's a reason we have special, private, religious schools. What are your thoughts? For the record, I am talking about religious conservatives only.
I am not talking about religious conservatives only. Religion has no place in public schools. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or