U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 07:41 AM

13,332 posts, read 10,214,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
My thoughts are that you use the word "impose" a lot.
Largely because it is an imposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Vouchers are the way to go.
There is one minimum that all citizens should pay for because those small people become voters.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
People's religion, goes with them where ever they may travel.
Not believing in a higher power, is a religion too. It is the belief, that is the religion. It is what liberty is all about.
No not all belief is religion, though atheism is actually literally a lack of belief. I believe that it is unwise to leave my 2nd story apartment from my window rather than walking down the stairs to the door. That is not a religion.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Morals are taught by your parents if you donít have morals then the blame is on them. Or you donít have a soul.
The notion that morality is the sole purview of religion is a truly scary notion since it predicates on the notion that a person only does what is supposedly right because god says so.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:48 AM

5,509 posts, read 2,940,288 times
Iím fine with teaching religion at school if itís in the context of theology and not imposing belief. Philosophy, Psychology, and Sociology should also be taught as well.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Let parents opt out of the state system, if its so good they can stay and voluntarily fund it. Why on earth would you be opposed to letting people spend their own money on what they feel are the best education choices for their own children?
I think private school is a wonderful opportunity for those who can afford it. But the benefit of an educated populace is not just the individual who are so educated. Of course.

Quote:
Alternatively, imagine your own LGBTQRSTLMNOP schools, fully finded by engaged parents like yourself, and no worry about some christians mucking it up with bible verses condemning you. And they with their own schools and curriculums free from the meddling of sexual deviants. Win/win for all.
It appears that you are the one arguing for an uneducated populace here, not me. Did your govt education turn you into a luddite?
Since there is no education that promotes becoming LGBTQ, I see no problem with an education that promotes harmony in schools including not being a bigot as it tends to produce difficult learning environments. And you can keep your judgement about deviancy to yourself. This is a Good Thing. Nor should anyone highlight your intellectual deviancy with your religion bound thinking.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And if our schools educated people, you'd be at least a bit closer to a valid point, maybe.

But our schools don't educate, they indoctrinate. And we most certainly do not benefit from an indoctrinated populace.

If the education product is a value, people will pay voluntarily. That the State forces you to pay for that which is demonstrably substandard speaks to just how poor the quality and value are.

All education should be voluntary, same as any other form of association.
Interestingly, my child can do geometry, algebra and fun stuff like that. She can now even speak Spanish. I am not a fan of the history curriculum. If anything was a conservative propaganda, that is it. Cheer to the wonderfulness of US! Blind patriotism WOOO. But even that is getting better.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Think again. Morals are whatever is on the law books since that is the only thing that is enforceable. Anything else is just someone's private idea but has no effect on society. And what is this "soul" thing you speak of?
This is mental laziness. Morality is not enforced. More or less successful cohabitation is.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We replaced the study of God with school shootings. Maybe we need to take another look.
This is a case of causation assumption confusing people.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
You are wrong. Indoctrination always creates only slaves, which is not far from what we see today in US.
They only way to create a free person is to promote free thinking. Yeap, the one Sokrates was killed for: "always question everything, especially the authority".
So I wonder about this sentiment. When in Catholic school, myself, I would say free thinking was the very opposite of what was promoted. I remember catching trouble for defending Luther successfully as I was asked to do in a debate. The Catholic assumption was that Luther could not be defended. Which is BS. Not so in public school.

My daughter wrote an essay on the failure of standardized tests. On her standardized test essay. Got a really good mark.

"Science adjusts its beliefs based on what's observed;
Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved
If you show me that, say, homeopathy works
Then I will change my mind
I'll spin on a ****ing dime
I'll be embarrassed as hell
But I will run through the streets yelling
'It's a miracle! Take physics and bin it!
Water has memory!
And while it's memory of a long lost drop of onion juice is infinite
It somehow forgets all the poo it's had in it!'"

Minchin Storm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or