Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 08:04 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Back in the 90's my daughter's HS Homeroom Teacher asked the class to stand for a Moment of Silence at the beginning of class.

Students got up and walked out of class, and to the Principal's Office to report her. They told him it was a backhanded way of telling them to pray. It went all around the school and home to parents who called the school objecting to this.

The Teacher was reprimanded and never did this again. My daughter, along with several others, just sat in their seats. She said not one single student stood up.

Edit: What do you think the reaction would have been if she had starting leading them in an actual prayer?
I would hope she would have been fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:05 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Where did the idea of morals come from, to change societies from rape & pillage, into co mingled diversity??
It came about as a process of our evolutionary edge. Collaboration. Human's collaboration is what keeps them alive in the absence of awesome teeth and claws, camouflage or really much else that is interesting.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Atheist may not be without the teaching and the discipline of Christianity after all.
Holy **** this is ignorant. All of recorded human history, long before christianity even existed, there were religions and doubters.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I hate how leftist always do that. If anyone expresses any conservative viewpoint, leftist always make a huge leap and try to associate it with something extreme like genocide or full fledged racism. The go to is usually the Nazis or such but using Rwanda was a break from the usual.
Interestingly, so do righties. Assert things like sexual deviancy and mental illness for things that they don't like.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:11 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
"One nation, under GOD", was a daily occurrence until High School.
I think it still is, here.

Only since the .gov decided Jayzus! was the best way to fight the red menace back in the '50s.

You're a big fan of the fed gov and them knowing what's right and good for the citizenry, aren't you?

Old 08-27-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
You mean how the left paints religious people as nazis, history shows that calling one group of people a deadly threat, can make the populace murder the ones who are supposedly the deadly threat.

Today the jewish community is deathly afraid of America thanks to your anti religious and Jewish behavior.
Well while one should not paint religious as nazi, there can be no denying that nazi was religion. I can see why people get worried.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Exactly, the left paints religious and conservative people as a deadly threat by associating them with or labeling them nazis and such. And how is a deadly threat treated and dealt with?

If someone says he doesn't want LBGT promoted in public schools or doesn't want mass immigration from everywhere, then it's just what he said, not some label leftist place on it or what some other group did one place in the 1940s or another in the 1990s.
I don't view what I do as painting. But shining a light on. There is simply no denying that the violent wave of christian motivated violence in the US is dangerous. There is also no denying that it looks an awful lot like other such movements we have seen in history, though Rwanda does not seem like it to me.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:16 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
When I went to grade school, we said the Lords Prayer in public school every morning. Nobody thought anything of it, but I remember thinking it wasn’t fair to the Jewish kids, and also it clearly defined who was Catholic and who was Protestant, which was nobody business. Even as a young child I knew that public prayer in school was wrong. Of course, as long as there are tests, there will be silent prayer.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
I firmly believe that lgbt acceptance propaganda is a religion, are you going to agree to remove it from the public schools?
What does that "propaganda" look like to you? What I see is

- Don't judge other people for who they are.
- Don't bully other kids.

And the like. I see things like

Different families are different. This is a FACT. And it really is not, historically, all that different than the way schools allowed new inter racial family examples into their dialog and literature. This is GOOD since we know the feeling of belonging is necessary for learning. School is not the place to tell kids that one person's god is better than another person's god because the upshot of this is to cause total strife in the community.

So what do you find is objectionable indoctrination in this area? Do you feel that people are being told that they ought to be gay? Because I don't see it.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfl_native View Post
i’m fine with teaching religion at school if it’s in the context of theology and not imposing belief. Philosophy, psychology, and sociology should also be taught as well.
yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies