U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 11:24 AM

5,342 posts, read 2,125,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's duly noted that you suddenly care after 30+ years of heavy deforestation across various administrations and feel that a meeting would have materially impacted the situation.
Yep, there are also around 30,000 fires in the Bolivian rainforest.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why Bolsonaro is demonized and Morales isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 11:39 AM

11,397 posts, read 5,062,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Stop regurgitating talking points. "lungs of the Earth" is being parroted everywhere, the MSM, social media, etc. Be original and think for yourself. If a mere 20% is considered the "lungs" we are in deep trouble.
The Amazon composes only 1% of Earth's surface area. Failing to protect even that relatively small bit of Earth and losing a fifth of the world's oxygen supply is something that is at least mildly concerning to normal people.

Most people would have a cow about the prospect of losing 20% of their bank account savings. Surely oxygen is at least equally as important.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:52 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,880 posts, read 14,362,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The Amazon composes only 1% of Earth's surface area. Failing to protect even that relatively small bit of Earth and losing a fifth of the world's oxygen supply is something that is at least mildly concerning to normal people.

Most people would have a cow about the prospect of losing 20% of their bank account savings. Surely oxygen is at least equally as important.
but that 20% is a lie...try 3x less

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachels.../#16eae0471ea9

https://climatenexus.org/climate-new...imes-too-high/

Scientists agree that thereís oxygen from ocean plants in every breath we take. Most of this oxygen comes from tiny ocean plants Ė called phytoplankton Ė that live near the waterís surface and drift with the currents. Like all plants, they photosynthesize Ė that is, they use sunlight and carbon dioxide to make food. A byproduct of photosynthesis is oxygen.
Scientists believe that phytoplankton contribute between 50 to 85 percent of the oxygen in Earthís atmosphere
https://earthsky.org/earth/how-much-...-worlds-oxygen

Old 08-26-2019, 11:54 AM

18,468 posts, read 11,679,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
God that man is as close to useless as any President has ever been. Iím surprised he even showed up to the G7 at all. Has he left early yet?

Little baby Donnie had to go and hide in his room for 6 hours because he was mad that the guy from Iran showed up. I am embarrassed that THIS is the representative we send to other countries to tell them who we are.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:54 AM

5,342 posts, read 2,125,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

The oceans cover 71% of the earth's surface... phytoplankton are earth's "lungs".

(But, the Amazon is still important... if for no other reason than its spectacular beauty.)

Old 08-26-2019, 11:56 AM

5,905 posts, read 3,225,182 times
The complacency is funny. Sure, its not our country but the effects are not gonna stop at the borders..

Old 08-26-2019, 12:01 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,332,374 times
I saw the live televised meeting with President Trump and Prime Minister Khan, Trump couldn't resist saying the American Economy was strong, he's a one hit wonder. Doesn't really matter what the issue or subject is, he's going to not pass up an opportunity to boost what great economy we have and how he's responsible for it.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:12 PM

7,357 posts, read 5,140,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I would skip it as well.
Well, if you told the truth that you skipped it because you thought it was not a good use of time, I would respect you (even if I disagreed) for telling the truth. But I can't respect Trump if it's true (it sounds like it is) that he made up a bogus excuse.

No matter how much one loves this man, it's hard to take his credibility seriously. Compared to the mainstream media, his track record with the truth is horrible. From history and experience, one would logically have to say the Mainstream Media is likely telling the truth here, and Trump has provided nothing to show us anything different.

But to your point, I'd respect him more if he just said "I didn't go, it was not a good use of time". (I would disagree with him, but at least he wouldn't have been caught lying like a pre-teen again...)

Old 08-26-2019, 12:16 PM

7,357 posts, read 5,140,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Stop regurgitating talking points. "lungs of the Earth" is being parroted everywhere, the MSM, social media, etc. Be original and think for yourself. If a mere 20% is considered the "lungs" we are in deep trouble.
20% is not significant to you?

I have a daughter with Cystic Fibrosis (primarily affects the lungs), and 80% PFT (Pulminary Function Testing) is the benchmark for "trouble".

You picked a bad analogy to make an ignorant point. Yes, if 20% of the world's oxygen supply is lost, it would be catastrophic to the residents of earth. That you typed otherwise is the proof that 'we' are in deep trouble.

Get a clue.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:19 PM

25,422 posts, read 12,441,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
God that man is as close to useless as any President has ever been. Iím surprised he even showed up to the G7 at all. Has he left early yet?
So he is useless because he didnít go to a useless meeting?

What a useless post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies