U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2019, 01:05 PM
 
16,641 posts, read 4,375,126 times
Reputation: 11643

Advertisements

To my knowledge only one modern (formed after 1820 when Brits abolished slavery) Republic not only wrote Slavery into their Constitutions, but provided many benefits and "free stuff" for the propagation of such.

Which is it?

(note - Although Slavery is legal in Islam and certain tribes and religions, you'd have to find an Islamic Republic that meets the above criteria and has an official Constitution, etc.).

 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:02 PM
 
33,078 posts, read 16,926,681 times
Reputation: 17941
Does the Confederacy count under your stipulated rules?
 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:05 PM
 
Location: In your head, rent free
14,826 posts, read 7,891,135 times
Reputation: 7584
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
To my knowledge...
No need to go any further, thanks Craig.
 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:16 PM
 
16,641 posts, read 4,375,126 times
Reputation: 11643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Does the Confederacy count under your stipulated rules?
No, I don't believe it was ever formed and I don't think Slavery was written in any differently (or much) then what already existed. It was close to the US Constitution except to affirm that "no new laws" banning it would be allowed:
"Article I Section 9(4)
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed."

And, in fact, they somewhat limited the trade...to THEM....
"Article I Section 9(2)
Congress shall also have power to prohibit the introduction of slaves from any State not a member of, or Territory not belonging to, this Confederacy."

This Republic/Nation (Quiz) is a place that more or less advocated for full slavery and paid citizens for such and make no bones about it. They did so for their entire economy and to protect themselves against the possibility of surrounding Republics to somehow influence them.

This Republic existed in the form spelled out in their Constitution and therefore practiced the Document. This Republic also never changed their own Constitution to do things differently.

Being as this was in relatively modern times - after most of the World had abolished Slavery and mass transportation (trains) and communication (telegraph) existed, I think it is very relevant to our Political outlooks and discussion. Ah, another hint there - this Republic shunned the Telegraph even when offered it.

Last edited by craigiri; 08-26-2019 at 02:27 PM..
 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:19 PM
 
Location: In your head, rent free
14,826 posts, read 7,891,135 times
Reputation: 7584
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
No, I don't believe it was ever formed and I don't think Slavery was written in any differently (or much) then what already existed. It was close to the US Constitution except to affirm that "no new laws" banning it would be allowed:
"Article I Section 9(4)
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed."

And, in fact, they somewhat limited the trade...to THEM....
"Article I Section 9(2)
Congress shall also have power to prohibit the introduction of slaves from any State not a member of, or Territory not belonging to, this Confederacy."

This Republic/Nation (Quiz) is a place that more or less advocated for full slavery and paid citizens for such and make no bones about it. They did so for their entire economy and to protect themselves against the possibility of surrounding Republics to somehow influence them.
What does this have to do with President Trump?
 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:28 PM
 
16,015 posts, read 13,821,950 times
Reputation: 22161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
What does this have to do with President Trump?
Oh, I am sure the poster will tie it to him somehow, every single bad event in human history somehow Trump is responsible for.
 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:28 PM
 
16,641 posts, read 4,375,126 times
Reputation: 11643
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
What does this have to do with President Trump?
Trump isn't in the title. But it sheds a lot of light on certain things in politics. For sure.

Can't you guess at it? TheMoreYouKnow....might mean you know things? The answer is very clear....I'll give you that hint also.
 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:31 PM
 
Location: In your head, rent free
14,826 posts, read 7,891,135 times
Reputation: 7584
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Oh, I am sure the poster will tie it to him somehow, every single bad event in human history somehow Trump is responsible for.
Give him a minute, he'll make the connection. Craig never disappoints.
 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:32 PM
 
Location: In your head, rent free
14,826 posts, read 7,891,135 times
Reputation: 7584
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Trump isn't in the title. But it sheds a lot of light on certain things in politics. For sure.
Everything you post here involves Trump hate, I'm just trying to figure out how you'll make this leap.

Quote:
Can't you guess at it? TheMoreYouKnow....might mean you know things? The answer is very clear....I'll give you that hint also.
I know a lot of things Craig, I'm a philosopher.
 
Old 08-26-2019, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,415 posts, read 304,154 times
Reputation: 1413
The US has the oldest Constitution in the world, so that's not really a surprise is it? Even the Bible contains a number of passages regarding slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top