Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 02:27 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,762,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Black teens "throwing gang signs on a ride" wouldn't have been banned from the park.

Give me a break.
Bull, I have heard stupid stories of guests wearing Kurt Warner football jerseys being told to take them off in theme parks. He wore #13, which apparently hit too close to home with particular parks who were in areas with Ms-13 problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 02:34 PM

37,056 posts, read 42,020,339 times
Oh, they can return if they want.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:49 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,130,078 times
People please........

These are just KIDS! Calling them racist right off the bat is really jumping the gun.

They did it because of all the attention the gesture is getting on social media. All the fussing. Without that, no hand gestures.

I knew a couple guys growing up that got their jollies spray painting swastikas on synagogs and "6 million more" slogans. Asked why they hated Jews, they replied, "We don't. We just love to stir up shyt"

Old 08-27-2019, 05:00 PM

8,774 posts, read 10,185,996 times
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Now, lets see if Universal remembers them if they have the nerve to return to the park in a year or two.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:36 PM

46,837 posts, read 25,759,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's (sic) example of the racist double standard that should offend anyone more than a silly and dumb hand gesture.
Actually, you and yours have so far utterly failed to provide an example that exists outside your own heads.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:39 PM

46,837 posts, read 25,759,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
People please........

These are just KIDS! Calling them racist right off the bat is really jumping the gun.

They did it because of all the attention the gesture is getting on social media. All the fussing. Without that, no hand gestures.

I knew a couple guys growing up that got their jollies spray painting swastikas on synagogs and "6 million more" slogans. Asked why they hated Jews, they replied, "We don't. We just love to stir up shyt"
That is a valid point. And they did get attention, so - both sides are happy, yes?

Thing is, they're at an age where it's very useful to learn that actions may have consequences. It's not as if they were shipped off to Devil's Island - they were blocked from an amusement park. Seems fairly proportionate.

At their age, I wore a uniform and we sang marching songs with lyrics that no right-thinking human being would endorse - to stir up stuff, as you so rightly put it - and we got our action-consequence lesson when the colonel's wife happened to be within earshot. Extremely useful lesson for a bunch of unspanked young cubs.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,762,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
People please........

Yeah and they are widely known as the Universal kids now. Why would anyone hire them if they are looking for a summer job?

Old 09-06-2019, 02:14 PM

20,252 posts, read 14,484,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Black teens "throwing gang signs on a ride" wouldn't have been banned from the park.

Give me a break.
That is sheer unfounded speculation, just as it would be if I said definitively that they WOULD. I said IF they were, then they could try to sue if they wanted...but I doubt if they'd win. Just the same as in this case. If these kids or their parents think it's so outrageous that they were denied a day of entertainment as a consequence of the flavor of their speech, then they have as much access to the courts as me or you.

What's funny to me about this, is that a lot of people I know who would throw hissy fits about this, are the same who uphold the right of a private business to discriminate against others...just not those matching their own demographic or ideology. On the other hand, while I'm a left-of-center independent, and fully support the LGBTQ+ community in general and on principle, I actually felt that the bakers should have the right to say no, in the cake case. My personal belief is, unless your business is necessary to life and limb, AND there are no reasonable alternatives, you should have the right to refuse service to anybody. And then those who you refused service to, can go fuss at the media and talk crap about it, and if people on their side want to boycott you, then they should be able to do that, though I draw the line at making threats. That's just not civil behavior. A cake getting made isn't life and limb, and there are other bakeries in town.

And these kids were not denied gas from the only station in 100 miles, electricity from the only utility in town, nor food to eat, nor life-saving medical care. They were denied a day of fun. I support the park's right to do that. And the other Nazis and edgy teenage white boys can certainly feel free to loudly boycott Universal, if it makes them feel better.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:21 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,431,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
It wasn't David Hogg and his family, was it?
No, they were Trump supporters!

Old 09-06-2019, 02:41 PM

30,167 posts, read 23,565,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Nazi Punks “buzz” off-Univesal
(Doesn’t have the same ring to it :/ )
I'm sure Jello will forgive you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies