U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2019, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Micronesia
3,258 posts, read 1,021,512 times
Reputation: 1534

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I often wonder why older generations disparage younger generations. Millenials are the children of gen xers or the tail end of the baby boomers. SO if they are so bad shouldn't we be blaming the parents generation?
Rule number one of the victims playbook. There is always someone or something to "blame".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2019, 08:05 PM
 
8,076 posts, read 2,852,924 times
Reputation: 3174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Rule number one of the victims playbook. There is always someone or something to "blame".
So who is the victim in this case? I mean gen xers and baby boomers are blaming millenials. So are the gen exers and baby boomers playing the victim card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,892 posts, read 2,443,587 times
Reputation: 2719
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Many are also not good at living within their means. I'd like to see some proof that they work harder than previous generations.
Living within their means? Have you seen the boomers spending habits & the debt this country is in? And the housing crisis caused by Gen X? Millennials so far are saints compared to those 2 generations when it comes to living within their means.


Here you go for proof about working harder.
https://www.manpowergroup.com/wps/wc...df?MOD=AJPERES

Take less vacation than previous generations
https://www.theatlantic.com/sponsore...kaholics/1260/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Micronesia
3,258 posts, read 1,021,512 times
Reputation: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So who is the victim in this case? I mean gen xers and baby boomers are blaming millenials. So are the gen exers and baby boomers playing the victim card?
No, victim logic says that if one group does something wrong, they blame it on another. If you stated that "millenials" behaviour is to be blamed on previous generations, then you are aknowleging their negative behaviours while condoning it and blaming it on other groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 08:33 PM
 
8,076 posts, read 2,852,924 times
Reputation: 3174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
No, victim logic says that if one group does something wrong, they blame it on another. If you stated that "millenials" behaviour is to be blamed on previous generations, then you are aknowleging their negative behaviours while condoning it and blaming it on other groups.
No. I was citing those blaming millenial behaviours which most likely is not millenials. So that would be gen exers and baby boomers. Glad we got that straightened out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 08:49 PM
 
1,557 posts, read 442,355 times
Reputation: 895
[quote=AZLiam;56069431]What BS. Everyone has access to college aid now and financial aid is available in a variety of sources. Of course not all of it is free (Pell). If you're not eligible for Pell, you're making too much money, but you'll still qualify for student loans. Furthermore, one can always go into the military and receive GI Bill. There's no reason your children or grandchildren had less "access" to college aid.[/QUOTE

When did you last have a child/grandchild actually go through the college process?
You might be right only in that loans are readily available; but not so Pells or aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,726 posts, read 7,570,310 times
Reputation: 4386
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Living within their means? Have you seen the boomers spending habits & the debt this country is in? And the housing crisis caused by Gen X? Millennials so far are saints compared to those 2 generations when it comes to living within their means.


Here you go for proof about working harder.
https://www.manpowergroup.com/wps/wc...df?MOD=AJPERES

Take less vacation than previous generations
https://www.theatlantic.com/sponsore...kaholics/1260/
I'm not saying previous generations always lived within their means, but to state that millennials are saints in comparison and living within their means in comparison is quite dishonest. Hell, what percentage of millennials are living off their parents and still not "making it"? https://www.cbsnews.com/news/more-mi...-this-century/

There is no true data indicating that the entire millennial generation works any harder or less harder than previous generations. Furthermore, it's quite subjective. I work primarily remotely, but every time I am actually working from the office, I notice things. Many millennials spend a chunk of time away from their desks at the employer gym, significant time in the break rooms, and when they are at their desks, plenty of time on social media or watching videos on their phones. I'm not sure that would qualify as "working harder".

Less vacation time doesn't automatically equate to working harder either. Many millennials may be fearful of losing their jobs, but they also may not be able to afford to take vacations. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 08:52 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,726 posts, read 7,570,310 times
Reputation: 4386
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
What BS. Everyone has access to college aid now and financial aid is available in a variety of sources. Of course not all of it is free (Pell). If you're not eligible for Pell, you're making too much money, but you'll still qualify for student loans. Furthermore, one can always go into the military and receive GI Bill. There's no reason your children or grandchildren had less "access" to college aid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
When did you last have a child/grandchild actually go through the college process?
You might be right only in that loans are readily available; but not so Pells or aid.
I work for a university and I am fully aware of the college admissions process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Houston
23,044 posts, read 11,914,465 times
Reputation: 9366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh, Papa. Tell us again about the good old days.
When men were men and women cooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2019, 06:46 AM
 
4,421 posts, read 1,919,195 times
Reputation: 8969
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I often wonder why older generations disparage younger generations. Millenials are the children of gen xers or the tail end of the baby boomers. SO if they are so bad shouldn't we be blaming the parents generation?
You seem to have some problems with math. The oldest gen x is only 53 while the oldest millennials are 38. My parents are early boomers and my sister is an early millennial. I have one friend who is a millennial and both his parents were from the silent generation. That is probably uncommon, but many gen X folks have kids in generation Z. This is the case with most of my friends who are generation X. There may be a few who have kids at the end of the millennial age group, but most weren’t having kids at 15 or 20!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top