Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 05:40 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times

Advertisements

According to science experts climate changes naturally. Eg: the four ice ages I was taught about in school. But how does one prove that a very small change in climate is man made, if they dont know the reason for the four previous ice ages?

Its all just scare tactics from experts: coming ice age from the 70's, nuclear freeze, population bomb, ozone hole. Etc, etc, etc,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 05:41 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Relying too heavily on 'experts' and not enough on intuition and emotion will only result in leaving you helpless, OP just as you felt on election night 2016. Science is heavily flawed because scientists are humans with self-interest like all people.

Which other science should we follow? Which way should we lean on Round-up? On eggs and butter? On GMOs?
Uh.... Mother Nature doesn't give a rats ass about your intuition and emotion. Next time the weatherman says a tornado or hurricane is heading for your neighborhood, will you take shelter, or will you rely on your "intuition and emotion"?

Scientists can absolutely be wrong. But if my choice is to believe a PhD educated atmospheric physicist with a record of published research, or some loser who spends all day in his basement on the internet, I think I'd put my money on the scientist.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:43 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
It would be great if we could put the entire cost of fossil fuel onto the users.

Bet they would cut back immediately.

Nobody really knows what it cost for environmental cleanup. Or the health problems it causes.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:45 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Uh.... Mother Nature doesn't give a rats ass about your intuition and emotion. Next time the weatherman says a tornado or hurricane is heading for your neighborhood, will you take shelter, or will you rely on your "intuition and emotion"?

Scientists can absolutely be wrong. But if my choice is to believe a PhD educated atmospheric physicist with a record of published research, or some loser who spends all day in his basement on the internet, I think I'd put my money on the scientist.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:51 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post

Sorry, no scientist worth his salt would put up with, let alone go along with, the postmodern bullsh*t that emanates from the IPCC.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:55 PM

18,448 posts, read 8,275,501 times
global temperatures are increasing at the blinding rate of..... 57/10,000th .....of a degree per year....

...that's 0.0057 degree a year

and have been increasing at almost exactly the same rate for the past 120 years

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs...l-temperature/

and since the year 2000...China and the developing world have increased their emissions 500%
..and the added CO2 has had no effect on the rate of temperature increase in the past 20 years

http://www.yaleclimatemediaforum.org/pics/0713_Fig3.jpg

Old 08-26-2019, 06:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
According to science experts climate changes naturally. Eg: the four ice ages I was taught about in school. But how does one prove that a very small change in climate is man made, if they dont know the reason for the four previous ice ages?
The distinctive thing about climate change now is the rate of warming - it is occurring 10x faster than it warmed in the inter-glacials. Furthermore the start of the warming coincides exactly with the start of the industrial age. All of the other natural causes of CO2 can be ruled out for various reasons - timing, quantity of CO2, etc. CO2 has a long lifetime in the atmosphere so even though the amount man emits is small, it accumulates. The numbers for the amount of fossil fuel we have burned in the last 150 years match pretty well with the observations.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:03 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
global temperatures are increasing at the blinding rate of..... 57/10,000th .....of a degree per year....

...that's 0.0057 degree a year

and have been increasing at almost exactly the same rate for the past 120 years

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs...l-temperature/

and since the year 2000...China and the developing world have increased their emissions 500%
..and the added CO2 has had no effect on the rate of temperature increase in the past 20 years

http://www.yaleclimatemediaforum.org/pics/0713_Fig3.jpg
Why do you post such drivel? July was 1.1 degree Celsius over the 20th century average...We have only about one half a degree to go to get to the point of no return.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/...net-is-facing/

Old 08-26-2019, 06:05 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
I find that the propaganda ministry is careful to omit ANTHROPOGENIC from their denunciations.
The climate changes - that's a natural fact.
What is NOT a fact is that human activity is significantly causing that change on a global scale.
And that the Alarmists are not seeking common sense remedies to cope with change. They are seeking enrichment and power, which leads one to suspect that it is a HOAX.
. . .
No 'respectable' climate scientist admits that we can REVERSE the changes, nor specifies what is the official “normal.” Which begs the question, how does sequestering CO2 prevent the alleged disasters that have yet to manifest, when water vapor is the major greenhouse gas?

If anthropogenic climate change wasn't a hoax, we might see common sense initiatives like:
1) 80% transition to electric traction rail in place of long haul diesel trucking, urban and suburban mass transit. Not only will it save 90-95% in fuel, allow for energy recovery braking, but reduce petroleum consumption below domestic production.
2) Superinsulation, energy conservation, resilient and frugal housing. Housing consumes a substantial amount of resources to build, repair, and maintain. Ditto, for dealing with natural disasters.
3) Securing coastlines and recovering seafloor not unlike the Netherlands, with extensive levees and flood protection.

Why aren't the ALARMISTS seeking common sense solutions?

Former President BHO just bought beachfront property on Martha's Vineyard. Guess he's not too concerned. Why should we be? Unless he suddenly became a "climate denier" ! ! !
https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/barack...thas-vineyard/

Old 08-26-2019, 06:07 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why do you post such drivel? July was 1.1 degree Celsius over the 20th century average...We have only about one half a degree to go to get to the point of no return.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/...net-is-facing/
And then what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies