Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 02:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times

Advertisements

Just how does one deny...climate?

Some of these twerps are profoundly inarticulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 04:11 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Your sister is still in school, she's still green. She has no clue what's actually happening and just listening to what she's been told. Get back to us when she actually does an honest study and experiments and comes up with her OWN results.
I take exception to your premise which is very condescending, BTW. STEM students going for their masters and/or doctorates are well into being the gophers of studies. They do most of the legwork for the Profs. Behind every good study are a bunch of highly proficient students who only get an honorable mention somewhere in 6pt type (that is REALLY TINY (just to clarify)) on the back pages.
I like that she was able to laugh while still understanding the absolute ignorance of many of the posters in this joint.
But, there I go again. Using common-sense (seeing the trees and the forest) seems to be a curse these days. Time for some coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Just how does one deny...climate?

Some of these twerps are profoundly inarticulate.
They are definition of an internet genius. They all have an MBS in Google Search - Pretty sure the BS part is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
To the climate deniers on this thread not putting forth any peer-reviewed research to validate their claims that current warming is natural...

Thanks for validating the OP's point.
I appreciate you for making my point.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:39 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The earth's climate has been changing for 4+ billion years, nearly all without human influence. Pseudo-science proclaiming climate change is man-made won't convince any intelligent being.
Correct.
Scientists (if you agree with them) claim the earth has gone through 5 ice age cycles. We now, are simply still coming out of the last ice age.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:43 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I noticed you didn't answer his questions.
It’s all horse chit, why would I?

Old 08-27-2019, 05:01 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Correct.
Scientists (if you agree with them) claim the earth has gone through 5 ice age cycles. We now, are simply still coming out of the last ice age.
Actually, the earth should be going into the next ice age. In the last million years the biggest orbit-induced cycles were every 100,000 years. But we know these orbital changes are not behind today's global warming. In fact our orbit dictates we should be cooling now, not warming.

The Earth was indeed cooling over the last 6,000 years due to Earth's orbit, heading into the next glacial phase scheduled for about the year 3500 AD. But all that changed when we got to the industrial era. Global temperatures departed from that cooling trend, and instead rose parallel with our greenhouse gas emission

Science has a good understanding of past climate changes and their causes, and that evidence makes the human cause of modern climate change all the more clear. Greenhouse gasses – mainly CO2, but also methane – have been implicated in most of the climate changes in Earth’s past. When they were reduced, the global climate became colder. When they were increased, the global climate became warmer. When changes were big and rapid (as they are today), the consequences for life on Earth were often dire – in some cases causing mass extinctions.

To infer that humans can't be behind today's climate change because climate changed before humans is bad reasoning. Humans are changing the climate today mainly via greenhouse gas emissions, the same mechanism that caused climate change before humans.

Also, to imply we have nothing to fear from today's climate change is not borne out by the lessons from rapid climate changes in Earth's past.

A great explanation can be found at Skeptical Science.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:10 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Greg Fishel, respected meteorologist, wrote a rant of Facebook criticizing people who question the science behind climate change, telling them to “put up or shut up.” He says climate deniers are self-appointed "experts" who just post junk on the internet and none of their stuff has ever been published in a peer reviewed atmospheric science or climate journal. He challenges them to do just that.

Read Fishel's post here: PUT UP OR SHUT UP

I agree. If climate deniers have a mechanism that explains how increased CO2 and methane don't heat the Earth, and supply a rigorous proof that Arrhenius was wrong, then let's see it. Get it published.
When I see the term “Climate Denier” I immediately think the person saying it is an idiot.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I agree. If climate deniers have a mechanism that explains how increased CO2 and methane don't heat the Earth, and supply a rigorous proof that Arrhenius was wrong, then let's see it. Get it published.
Um, do you even have a clue what Arrhenius said?

No, you don't.

Which part of "immediate" do you not understand?

Do you need a dictionary definition?

Immediate: occurring or done at once; instant.

The Arrhenius equations are immediate reactions, not 50 years from now or 100 years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I would say people that deny the research by the IPCC, NASA and world wide scientific organizations are certainly deniers.
Deny this:

Look out! Science Alert!

Our pollen-based climatic reconstruction suggests a mean temperature of the warmest month (MTWA) range of 9–14.5 °C during the warmest interval of the last interglacial. The reconstruction from plant macrofossils, representing more local environments, reached MTWA values above 12.5 °C in contrast to today's 2.8 °C.

https://people.ucsc.edu/~acr/migrate...0al%202008.pdf

Just to make sure we're clear on the concept, 12.5°C is 22.5°F warmer than present temperatures.

From applications of both correspondence analysis regression and best modern analogue methodologies, we infer July air temperatures of the last interglacial to have been 4 to 5 °C warmer than present on eastern Baffin Island, which was warmer than any interval within the Holocene.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Arctic_Canada

Again, to make sure we're clear on the concept, 4.0°C - 5.0°C is 7.2°F - 9.0°F.

Palaeo data suggest that Greenland must have been largely ice free during Marine Isotope Stage 11 (MIS-11). The globally averaged MIS-11 sea level is estimated to have reached between 6–13 m above that of today.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms16008

“Even though the warm Eemian period was a period when the oceans were four to eight meters higher than today, the ice sheet in northwest Greenland was only a few hundred meters lower than the current level, which indicates that the contribution from the Greenland ice sheet was less than half the total sea-level rise during that period,” says Dorthe Dahl-Jensen, Professor at the Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen, and leader of the NEEM-project.

[emphasis mine]

https://www.nbi.ku.dk/english/news/n...e-of-the-past/

Those things happened when CO2 levels were 260 ppm to 280 ppm CO2.

So....who's the denier?

Old 08-27-2019, 05:20 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Correct.
I’m betting you can’t offer one iota of science to explain why we are warming in the last 100 years other than blind faith.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:21 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The earth's climate has been changing for 4+ billion years, nearly all without human influence. Pseudo-science proclaiming climate change is man-made won't convince any intelligent being.
No one knew that fact, you should send a paper to NASA.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:37 PM

2,486 posts, read 824,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
The Earth was indeed cooling over the last 6,000 years due to Earth's orbit, heading into the next glacial phase scheduled for about the year 3500 AD. But all that changed when we got to the industrial era. Global temperatures departed from that cooling trend, and instead rose parallel with our greenhouse gas emission

You use Skeptical Science as your "expert knowledge base" the problem is they are not skeptics of science while claiming that skepticism of science is healthy. They contradict themselves right out of the gate.

Scientists are claiming that we should be in a cooling phase for the last 6,000 years. They also claim that humans over the last 150 years are mostly to blame for global warming. If this is all true, why did the oceans start rising over 2000 years ago?

Our climate goes up and down. It's actually called Natural Oscillation. There is no determinable pattern it just happens. There are too many variables to forecast the global temperature next year let alone a decade, century, millennia from now. That's why all of the models fail miserably. For scientists to perpetuate that they can predict the climate with certainty and then to take taxpayers money in the form of grants is such a Ponzi scheme!

When it all falls apart and the earth starts cooling, they'll simply turn their sign around and start predicting man-made cooling because of man-made warming. There's nothing in the rules that says scientists have to be honest. They are, after all, only human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies