Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 04:36 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times

Advertisements

[quote=T-310;56039125]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post

BNSF. Havre subdivision.
BNSF also. Old Chicago division. Retired in 2010 with 37 years. Don’t happen to know a Mark Boyer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 04:41 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
[quote=jeffdoorgunner;56039208]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

BNSF also. Old Chicago division. Retired in 2010 with 37 years. Don’t happen to know a Mark Boyer?
Not offhand. Name rings a bell. He was in the Havre sub?

Old 08-27-2019, 04:57 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The Black Mesa and Lake Powell Railroad carried coal from the Kayenta Mine to the Navajo Power Plant near Page AZ- a distance of 78 miles. Both the mine and power plant have closed.

Now 100% of freight transportation in the USA is powered by pollution spewing internal combustion engines. The USA has no energy policy, no transportation policy and no industrial policy.

How can we ever tackle "global warming" when the essential movement of freight relies on fossil fuels?
Ask AOC as she has the answers.

In all seriousness, while global warming might very well be taking place (as it has many moons ago on multiple occasions), it is hubris for us to believe we are the cause, and can actually control Mother Nature.

I am all for reducing pollution, preserving natural habitats, insuring clean drinking, helping endangered species, etc., etc., etc.
However since I am not one of the brainwashed masses indoctrinated to believe man is the cause of so called "climate change", I am probably considered a climate denier or some such absurd title.

`

Old 08-27-2019, 05:04 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
In this situation, it became convenient for the powerplant to run a line and run the trains off its own power rather than have to use a tremendous number of trucks. In terms of total energy consumed, I have no doubt that powering the trains was far more efficient than any other mode available except maybe a pipeline of coal slurry, and even then I doubt it would beat the train.
This railroad and power plant was in a rare situation where the mine was close by. Everything was self contained. If the power plant needed more coal, they didn't have to call the connecting railroad to schedule a train or two. They just sent their own crews down to the mine. At one time they ran three trains a day from what I have heard.

There were other electric railways in America at the time. One near me was the Piedmont & Northern. They all went under or converted to diesel. Like steam, the industry decided it was not economical to keep up the electric railways.
Quote:
Wrong. Most electric freight engines are much more capable than diesel-electric freight engines.
I will defer to the railroader on this board and his reasoning for why this is not the case as well as other railroaders i have talked to before.
Quote:
Not really. Over in Europe, they don't just change power...
They might work in Europe. I've seen enough Canadian and Mexican locomotives in the Carolinas to know it works differently in America.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:19 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The Black Mesa and Lake Powell Railroad carried coal from the Kayenta Mine to the Navajo Power Plant near Page AZ- a distance of 78 miles. Both the mine and power plant have closed.

Now 100% of freight transportation in the USA is powered by pollution spewing internal combustion engines. The USA has no energy policy, no transportation policy and no industrial policy.

How can we ever tackle "global warming" when the essential movement of freight relies on fossil fuels?
Europe is now experimenting with hydrogen trains and there are also hybrid trains that use a mixture of battery power to cut down on diesel.

It's possible that the US may want to look at such trains on some of it's commuter routes and diesel trains cam be converted to hybrid.

All aboard Britain's first hydrogen train - BBC News

Ricardo to examine first UK hybrid train | RailTech.com

Hybrid train - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-27-2019 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-27-2019, 06:42 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
American railroads have been experimenting with some hybrids already including battery powered. Norfolk Southern seems to have gad some success in this, but a lot of the alternative powered locomotives are not proving reliable at all in moving freight trains.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:07 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
The power plant is shut down....what happens to the Navajo workers that operated it??????

Old 08-27-2019, 07:12 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
But this train DID carry it's own fuel, it carried it all the way to the power plant which then burned it to produce electricity to power the train which was used to pick up more COAL.

Are you guys not understanding this article? The only reason this ever made sense was because it only carried coal to a power plant.
The coal train is not the issue. The attack upon catenary electric rail is.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:16 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Ummmm, it was an electric train carrying COAL to COAL power plant which supplied electricity to the train...

Couldn't they have cut out the middleman? I mean there must be some way to use the energy in coal to drive a locomotive, right?

Old 08-27-2019, 07:25 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
[quote=T-310;56039241]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post

Not offhand. Name rings a bell. He was in the Havre sub?
Last I knew he was actually in Havre. Moved there from Illinois. Roadmaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies