U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM

3,654 posts, read 3,150,865 times

Advertisements

The Black Mesa and Lake Powell Railroad carried coal from the Kayenta Mine to the Navajo Power Plant near Page AZ- a distance of 78 miles. Both the mine and power plant have closed.

Now 100% of freight transportation in the USA is powered by pollution spewing internal combustion engines. The USA has no energy policy, no transportation policy and no industrial policy.

How can we ever tackle "global warming" when the essential movement of freight relies on fossil fuels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL9UA_fJLsk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

14,701 posts, read 7,859,771 times
Quote:
Now 100% of freight transportation in the USA is powered by pollution spewing internal combustion engines.
Ummmm, it was an electric train carrying COAL to COAL power plant which supplied electricity to the train...

Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM

24,728 posts, read 12,194,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Ummmm, it was an electric train carrying COAL to COAL power plant which supplied electricity to the train...
The irony of this is delicious.

Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM

24,728 posts, read 12,194,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The Black Mesa and Lake Powell Railroad carried coal from the Kayenta Mine to the Navajo Power Plant near Page AZ- a distance of 78 miles. Both the mine and power plant have closed.

Now 100% of freight transportation in the USA is powered by pollution spewing internal combustion engines. The USA has no energy policy, no transportation policy and no industrial policy.

How can we ever tackle "global warming" when the essential movement of freight relies on fossil fuels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL9UA_fJLsk
And I do my best driving those pollution spewing diesel/electric internal combustion locomotives. Usually there six tied in for distributed power. And I drive them through mountains climbing grades requiring notch eight on the throttle. The highest setting. You can imagine the smoke pouring out of the stacks.

Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

5,419 posts, read 3,088,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And I do my best driving those pollution spewing diesel/electric internal combustion locomotives. Usually there six tied in for distributed power. And I drive them through mountains climbing grades requiring notch eight on the throttle. The highest setting. You can imagine the smoke pouring out of the stacks.
Did Earth do something to you? Seem to have a vendetta..

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

30,251 posts, read 16,679,918 times
"The USA has no energy policy, no transportation policy and no industrial policy." - hmm you sure couldnt tell it from the thousands of laws, regulations, taxes, subsidies, crony businesses...

Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM

5,221 posts, read 1,027,859 times
Someone mind telling me the abridged version of why they would want to shut down an electric freight train service and go in favor of coal? The former type would seem to be more next gen and Earth-friendly than the latter.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Someone mind telling me the abridged version of why they would want to shut down an electric freight train service and go in favor of coal? The former type would seem to be more next gen and Earth-friendly than the latter.
Because the coal mine AND the power plant closed.

Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM

13,854 posts, read 9,950,859 times
The point is that electric traction locomotives are more efficient than diesel electric locomotives.
For one, they don't haul their fuel, or need heavy engines.
While the rest of the world embraces electric traction (including oil rich Russia, which electrified the Trans-Siberian RR), the USA is enthralled by the automobile /pavement / petroleum hegemony that sucks our wallets dry.

Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The point is that electric traction locomotives are more efficient than diesel electric locomotives.
For one, they don't haul their fuel, or need heavy engines.
While the rest of the world embraces electric traction (including oil rich Russia, which electrified the Trans-Siberian RR), the USA is enthralled by the automobile /pavement / petroleum hegemony that sucks our wallets dry.
But this train DID carry it's own fuel, it carried it all the way to the power plant which then burned it to produce electricity to power the train which was used to pick up more COAL.

Are you guys not understanding this article? The only reason this ever made sense was because it only carried coal to a power plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or