U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:48 AM

13,335 posts, read 4,585,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Legalized Marijuana is a far far better proposition for those in pain.
No it isn't. It does absolutely nothing for severe pain. Nothing whatsoever. Go break your leg and smoke some MJ, you'll still be in pain. This is a complete myth. It MIGHT help some people with minor chronic pain where you wouldn't need opiates anyway. That's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:48 AM

30,442 posts, read 15,777,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Legalized Marijuana is a far far better proposition for those in pain.
Because all pain levels are the same?

Old Today, 08:44 AM

11,404 posts, read 11,399,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Half a billion is chump-change to J & J. The original amount that was sought from them was 17 billion.

Yeah, I think you missed the part where I said the other 49 states are lining up to get their half billion dollars. 2.5 TRILLION $$$$'s is not chump change, pal.

Old Today, 08:44 AM

18,488 posts, read 10,530,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
nobody has lost a dime, this will be appealed, it will take years, J&J will prevail. They never handed out a pill to anyone.
Neither did the tobacco companies directly hand out cigarettes to anyone. Look at what happened to them?

Old Today, 09:13 AM

11,404 posts, read 11,399,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Tell you what....go to the oral surgeon and have half the upper part of the roof of your mouth cut off, then try to get some sleep after taking a couple of aspirins....get back to me.

People in high places i.e. politicians will ALWAYS be able to get these meds when they need them. The rest of us poor jerks will have to resort to a bottle of gin and a half-dozen Tylenol to try to kill the pain after surgery or a severe injury, even cancer. You can't even get opiates in hospitals anymore

Quote:
The Other Opioid Crisis: Shortages at Hospitals

https://www.webmd.com/pain-managemen...at-hospitals#1

Two legal substances. booze and Tylenol that separately tear a human body apart over time, but when they are combined they rip the liver to shreds in a matter of weeks. We're talking a quarter-million deaths per year from alcohol and acetaminophen against the pittance of a few good-for-nothing addicts who got what they deserved.

Old Today, 09:19 AM

8,945 posts, read 10,975,358 times
Investors thought it'd be higher so their stock actually went up, but overall I think it's a success for Oklahoma. More to come I'm sure.

https://time.com/5662105/johnson-joh...opioid-ruling/

Old Today, 09:25 AM

8,945 posts, read 10,975,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
No. Pharma rep tells doctors that when people are in pain they won't get addicted to opioids. So the doctor prescribed them willy nilly to people in pain. But when the pain ends, the patient discovers that he is in fact hooked on the opioid at that point. That is the lie that was pushed by pharma. And they should pay for it.
I saw the interview of the 2 attorneys for Oklahoma and some of the stuff they uncovered from J and J was pretty appalling. The arrogance and hubris of these drug companies is beyond unbelievable.

Old Today, 09:47 AM

1,212 posts, read 214,820 times
No, production of the medication will continue. It is a needed drug class and pain management options are slim after a certain point.

The issue with many manufactures is they knew orders for large quantities of pills were coming from areas with very low populations. In some cases areas with populations less than 50,000 were getting millions of pills sent to their area without the drug companies looking into the situation. No one questioned why Middle of no where Indiana would need millions of a single drug with no increase in other medications to the area or big population change. Additionally the drug companies lied about how addicting the drugs were which ties to the first point, the addiction was a positive for their bottom line.

This situation can easily happen again. What people don't think about is when a drug is new there are limited resources and people that know the in's and out's of the drug. The main contact and resource for new drugs for most doctors are the Drug companies themselves. In a way Drug companies are the ones that provide immediate "oversite" of a new drug or provide immediate answers to physicians who have a concern related to a drug. The FDA is slow to react in many cases as fear of political retaliation to the agency for pulling drugs quickly and confusing patients / the public is an issue.

It cost millions to develop and test drugs. The FDA depends on drug companies to be "honest" with their testing and reported side effects.

Old Today, 10:25 AM

7,631 posts, read 4,377,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
No it isn't. It does absolutely nothing for severe pain. Nothing whatsoever. Go break your leg and smoke some MJ, you'll still be in pain. This is a complete myth. It MIGHT help some people with minor chronic pain where you wouldn't need opiates anyway. That's it.
I just had surgery on my neck. Prescribed some opiates for recovery. I got better control of the pain, rest, and ability to function out of a 10mg 1:1 THC/CBD edible.

Old Today, 10:34 AM

23,038 posts, read 17,052,959 times
It's not just people who are affected by this. Veterinarians also refuse to prescribe any opiates for the patients (pets). I wrote about this on the pet forum when my cat had to get surgery, he was out of pain meds but still in very clear pain. I went to the vet to ask if he could get a pain shot for the night, just to make him at least somewhat comfortable, and I was informed that they could, but they would not give him anything with opiates.

They gave him a pain shot - and it did nothing for his pain. My pet suffered after a major surgery because of this nonsense. Pets try really hard to mask their pain, so when you know, good and well, that your pet is suffering, just imagine how much suffering that is - and what it looks like on humans.

You don't fix a problem by banning it altogether, you go after those who knowingly give patients more than they should, and you go after those who abuse them. I'm getting sick and tired of this bs "make everyone else pay for it" mentality because some people are irresponsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies