U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 09:47 AM

12,722 posts, read 4,395,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
The U.S. is not the only country going crazy.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/media...ntl/index.html

And not everyone is happy about it.
Only harmful sterotypes are banned and men are just being given the same protection women.

This has put a stop to advertisers showing men as stupid or conveying toxic masculkinity such as the recent Gillette adverts in the US.

Why new rules on gender stereotyping in ads benefit men, too

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-27-2019 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 09:50 AM

7,784 posts, read 1,782,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Only harmful sterotypes are banned and men are just being given the same protection women.

This has put a stop to advertisers showing men as stupid or conveying toxic masculkinity such as the recent Gillette adverts in the US.

Why new rules on gender stereotyping in ads benefit men, too

So what is harmful about showing a woman with a baby carriage?

Old 08-27-2019, 09:57 AM

41,173 posts, read 40,735,287 times
I've heard the PC thing over in the UK is worse than hear. Canada too. Some of this stuff is getting ridiculous.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
So what is harmful about showing a woman with a baby carriage?

I take it that it's this advert which shows lots of men acheiving things in the advert and then a woman sitting with a pram on a bench. I wonder how that might be deemed harmful and might reinforce negative sterotypes.

As for men, they were increasingly becoming a target for left wing advertising agencies, who potrayed the stupid white male image or toxic masculinity etc.

As for the philadelpia cheese advert, is just the tired old image of white males being bad parents even if it is done in a jocular manner.

Advertisers now portray men the way they portrayed women in the 1950s: as either dumb or pretty - The Telegraph

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-27-2019 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-27-2019, 10:05 AM

7,784 posts, read 1,782,141 times
Quote:
I take it that it's this advert which shows lots of men acheiving things in the advert and then a woman sitting with a pram on a bench. I wonder how that might be deemed harmful and might reinforce negative sterotypes.

As for men, they were increasingly becoming a target for left wing advertising agencies, who potrayed the stupid white male image.

Advertisers now portray men the way they portrayed women in the 1950s: as either dumb or pretty - The Telegraph

Well, maybe -- but I think it can be argued that nurturing a child can be considered an achievement, too.

What I object to is the kind of thinking that says that if anyone (of any sex, race, culture, whatever) is doing anything that is traditional for that "whatever", that it is necessarily wrong. In short, I believe that people should feel free to make any choice they want, so long as it is not harmful to anyone else.

Freedom of expression (and the pursuit of happiness and self-fulfillment) should work in many different ways and not just in one particular way that some people think it should.

Last edited by katharsis; 08-27-2019 at 10:26 AM..

Old 08-27-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Well, maybe -- but I think it can be argued that nurturing a child can be considered an achievement, too.
Perhaps, however in that context it looked as if the men were the acheivers and the woman was an under acheiver sitting on a park bench with a baby.

As for VW they have a history of banned adverts, and most of them were justified bans. Whilst Philadelpia Cheese used to be sold using a rather dim witted blonde who had the catch phrase 'lovely' in a rather bimbo type acceny. Have things gone too far, possible, however I think the virtual signalling and the advertising agencies attacks on white males was just as much part of the problem as female gender sterotypes.

A couple of VW's previously banned adverts in the UK.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:26 AM

26,632 posts, read 10,257,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Policians shouldn't dicate private advertising. Consumers freely spending their own dollars should
According to the article people called the government and complained which led to the removal of two specific commercials.

The Stockholm Syndrome is real, my fellow slaves.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:31 AM

11,137 posts, read 6,569,717 times
Quote:

As for men, they were increasingly becoming a target for left wing advertising agencies, who potrayed the stupid white male image or toxic masculinity etc.

As for the philadelpia cheese advert, is just the tired old image of white males being bad parents even if it is done in a jocular manner.

Wow, you think this commercial is offensive ?

Old 08-27-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wow, you think this commercial is offensive ?
It's not offensive but needs to be more balanced, for instance why not add a woman acheiving something as well as the man, and why show a woman at the end of the advert sitting on a bench with a pram.

At the very least, we don't have to listen to companies such as Gillette going on about toxic masculinity or other gender virtue signalling, as both genders are equally protected.

The philadelphia one, just showed two dopey white men eating cheese snacks from a sushi type conveyer belt, whilst the babies they are in charge of go round and round the conveyer belt. Again, can they not think of anything better than the dopey white dad formula, and that white men are stupid.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:37 AM

11,137 posts, read 6,569,717 times
Quote:
Perhaps, however in that context it looked as if the men were the acheivers and the woman was an under acheiver sitting on a park bench with a baby.

As for VW they have a history of banned adverts, and most of them were justified bans. Whilst Philadelpia Cheese used to be sold using a rather dim witted blonde who had the catch phrase 'lovely' in a rather bimbo type acceny. Have things gone too far, possible, however I think the virtual signalling and the advertising agencies attacks on white males was just as much part of the problem as female gender sterotypes.

A couple of VW's previously banned adverts in the UK.

Okay, the first one , which is trying to be a bit on the light hearted side, I can see being a bit off color especially on your side of the pond.

Can't see a thing wrong with the second one though.

Didn't Britain rule most of the world at one time ? How did you guys end up at the point of being offended by everything ? Sorry on the use of the word "point", didn't mean to offend , aren't you guys banning pointy things over there ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or