U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 10:39 AM

12,722 posts, read 4,395,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Okay, the first one , which is trying to be a bit on the light hearted side, I can see being a bit off color especially on your side of the pond.

Can't see a thing wrong with the second one though.

Didn't Britain rule most of the world at one time ? How did you guys end up at the point of being offended by everything ? Sorry on the use of the word "point", didn't mean to offend , aren't you guys banning pointy things over there ?
What you don;t see anything wrong with a little girl using the term 'bollo*ks' repeatedly.

The UK is not offended by everything, we just don't want advertising agencies targeting anyone, and given the way advertising agencies in the US have behaved recently in relation to toxic masuculinity and other issues, it's probably fair enough for the Advertising Standards Agency in the UK to draw a line and to protect white men just as they do other groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 10:55 AM

23,454 posts, read 17,315,853 times
This type of stupidity has been going on for quite some time.

Here's my question: Why is everyone else just sitting back and taking it?

How about you stop caring how offended everyone gets? It is, and has been time to say "F your feelings".

The reason that this keeps happening is because no one does anything but acquiesce. It's bs, we all know it's bs, and yet everyone submits doing nothing more than complain about it.

Stop allowing it to happen. Continue to write your ads how you want them, continue to talk how you want, continue to say what you say. If someone gets their panties in a bunch over that, oh well, move on to the next customer.

No one is doing anyone any favors by bowing to this idiocy. If you treat people like they are too fragile to handle real life, they are going to be too fragile to handle real life. Instead of going along with this insanity, live in reality and it will force these cry babies to learn how to handle reality.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:58 AM

11,137 posts, read 6,569,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
What you don;t see anything wrong with a little girl using the term 'bollo*ks' repeatedly.

The UK is not offended by everything, we just don't want advertising agencies targeting anyone, and given the way advertising agencies in the US have behaved recently in relation to toxic masuculinity and other issues, it's probably fair enough for the Advertising Standards Agency in the UK to draw a line and to protect white men just as they do other groups.
As far as the little girl and her profanity, it comes down to parenting. She mimicked what she heard her dad say. It isn't right, but it's a part of life. We've all heard little kids saying something they shouldn't and it's humorous.

I guess it's just me. Not too many things offend me, I've got a pretty abrasive personality, and no filter.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:59 AM

7,784 posts, read 1,782,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

How about you stop caring how offended everyone gets? It is, and has been time to say "F your feelings".

The reason that this keeps happening is because no one does anything but acquiesce. It's bs, we all know it's bs, and yet everyone submits doing nothing more than complain about it.

Stop allowing it to happen. Continue to write your ads how you want them, continue to talk how you want, continue to say what you say. If someone gets their panties in a bunch over that, oh well, move on to the next customer.
Well, unfortunately, saying whatever you (the general you) want can sometimes lead to violence, and that has people scared. Of course, the media is doing whatever they can to encourage that fear.

And, also, if someone looks like a man, I will think and act like he is a man -and I will continue to say 'he', 'him', 'she', and 'her' (for example) -- and if anyone doesn't like it, they can just go away and pout (or scream). I will just say, "I didn't get the latest PC memo."

Old 08-27-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:

No one is doing anyone any favors by bowing to this idiocy. If you treat people like they are too fragile to handle real life, they are going to be too fragile to handle real life. Instead of going along with this insanity, live in reality and it will force these cry babies to learn how to handle reality.
I'm all on board this.
I really think it all started when we changed how we raise our children. They are being coddled. Bullying , as bad as it can bet at the extreme end, is a character builder. One learns how to stand up for oneself. Also , the herd tends to manage the odd ones, until they develop social skills. Now we don't keep score in sports, we can't celebrate our wins, we can't stand up for ourselves.... no wonder we are seeing people going off the deep end and doing drastic things. They have never developed socially, and developed skills on how to cope when things don't go their way.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:09 AM

23,454 posts, read 17,315,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm all on board this.
I really think it all started when we changed how we raise our children. They are being coddled. Bullying , as bad as it can bet at the extreme end, is a character builder. One learns how to stand up for oneself. Also , the herd tends to manage the odd ones, until they develop social skills. Now we don't keep score in sports, we can't celebrate our wins, we can't stand up for ourselves.... no wonder we are seeing people going off the deep end and doing drastic things. They have never developed socially, and developed skills on how to cope when things don't go their way.
I think you would really like some of the books by Jonathon Haidt. He goes over exactly that.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I think you would really like some of the books by Jonathon Haidt. He goes over exactly that.
Just quickly read through his wiki. I'll going to listen to one of his TED talks now. Thanks for the heads up !

Old 08-27-2019, 11:16 AM

41,173 posts, read 40,735,287 times
PC culture really at the end of the day is about controlling what others say, do, or think. At best it's sometimes necessary to be a bit PC to not step on people's feelings. Minor stuff is fine. It's a form of social lubricant at times. That said I think it's going too far anymore.

Comedians are the last vestige of sanity in my opinion regarding this and even some of them are starting to fold on things. Seinfeld is famous for talking about how he won't do college and university gigs anymore because of the PC culture is so rooted in at those places.

Like someone mentioned, did Britain used to kick ass and rule the whole damn planet at one point?? How did they get so sissified? LOL.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Listening to him on a Joe Rogan podcast. He mentioned a term my wife just recently heard from a friend of hers 20 something daughter. FOMO. When my wife told me it ,I was like what heck does that mean..."fear of missing out" ... I was like, fear of missing out on what ?

Just the little I've heard so far, this guy is definitely spot on !

Old 08-27-2019, 11:44 AM

26,632 posts, read 10,257,041 times
Quote:

You and your potential clients don't have the final say though. The State does.

There's the rub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or