U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

1,563 posts, read 1,381,420 times

Advertisements

I carefully prepared my federal income taxes for 2018 and received an IRS notice with a small check stating that I overpaid.

Something just did not look right so I downloaded from the IRS a transcript showing line-by-line how my taxes were calculated by the IRS. I found several errors, one of which was that one of my estimated tax payments was not included in the IRS calculation. So a month ago I wrote a letter with documentation demonstrating the IRS errors and asked for a re-calculation. No reply to date.

I noticed several things. The IRS uses a computer program to calculate personal income taxes. I tried to use one but stopped when my estimated taxes jumped from $600 to $600,000. In past years I have used others but without success. Bait and switch. You are requested to spend more and more money for a "better" program with no guaranty that the better program will work.

All things being equal, would it make more sense for both the tax payer and the IRS to use the same computer program application (i.e. the one the IRS uses)? Does the taxpayer have to spend money on an expensive tax attorney or accountant/CPA to do his/her taxes?

Besides just doing the math correctly as one total builds on another (so it would be nice to have a computer), I have found the instructions either do not say or mislead the taxpayer. Meaning the IRS is requiring one thing, but the taxpayer is not made the wiser.

I could go on, but the slow walk is what kills the taxpayer. Delay, delay, delay, until you write to your congressman as if that will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,382,215 times
The likes of TurboTax throw around a bunch of lobbying money to prevent that from happening.

After Turbotax and HR Block lobbying IRS could be banned from offering free tax filing app

Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

30,273 posts, read 16,685,979 times

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

11,241 posts, read 4,970,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The likes of TurboTax throw a bunch of lobbying money to prevent that from happening.

After Turbotax and HR Block lobbying IRS could be banned from offering free tax filing app
Disgusting.

Especially since HR Block completely botched my taxes because they don't know what they're doing.

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Disgusting.

Especially since HR Block completely botched my taxes because they don't know what they're doing.
And they have the nerve to bundle it in something called the “Taxpayer First Act”. Already passed the House, has bi-partisan support.
https://www.propublica.org/article/c...ampaign=buffer

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 24 days ago)

12,697 posts, read 6,564,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Disgusting.

It is disgusting. I will say that I have loved HR Block, but I do not use online tax filing apps and, instead, have to go into the office and have them done that way. I've found that the apps (at least for TurboTax) don't have a way for me to not pay state income taxes due to my military status.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It is disgusting. I will say that I have loved HR Block, but I do not use online tax filing apps and, instead, have to go into the office and have them done that way. I've found that the apps (at least for TurboTax) don't have a way for me to not pay state income taxes due to my military status.
Last time I used TurboTax state was a separate purchase. My father managed to use it while in a state with state taxes but maintaining permanent residency in Florida no problem.

Also aren't the in house HR Block folks just using the same program and they just hired someone off the street to fill it out for you?

Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

25,507 posts, read 9,908,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You skipped a step Frank.

After they determine that you cheated them and before you go to prison you have to spend all your money on an attorney to defend yourself in one of their kangaroo courts.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

7,188 posts, read 1,554,333 times
I was told by a co-worker -- I don't know whether or not it's true -- the the IRS already knows how much in taxes you should have paid even before they receive your completed 1040 (or whatever).

IF that is true, then why don't they just send a statement with the amount one owes or is owed, with the option of challenging it if you think it's wrong? Would save a heck of a lot of time and money.

(Yeah, I know, accounting and tax firms would have a fit.)

Last edited by katharsis; Yesterday at 10:46 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

6,696 posts, read 4,660,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I was told -- I don't know whether or not it's true -- the the IRS already knows how much in taxes you should have paid even before they receive your completed 1040 (or whatever).

IF that is true, then why don't they just send a statement with the amount one owes or is owed, with the option of challenging it if you think it's wrong. Would save a heck of a lot of time and money.

(Yeah, I know, accounting and tax firms would have a fit.)
How could they possibly know if you deduct things like business expenses, charitable contributions or any number of things they have no way of knowing? To claim they do makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or