U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM

21,450 posts, read 10,342,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Because SS was never meant to allow retired people to live like kings & queens. SS will be fixed long before Medicare will be by the way. SS is an easy fix compared to anyone ever figuring out our healthcare system.
And it wouldn't be SS that allows people to live like kings and queens, so what are you saying? The wealthy will live well because they did well for themselves. Getting the money they put into it is only fair.

I agree with you on the bolded - what a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM

11,413 posts, read 11,405,401 times
There wouldn't be a "crisis" if the government would just tax ALL earnings, not just up to $132,900

Old Today, 03:49 AM

10,350 posts, read 12,100,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Did I state that? Do you make up my thoughts in your own head?

Of course, Amish don't pay it. Many people choose to be "contractors" and pay in very little...and get very little.

Thou doest protest too much. I paid in for about 25 years - often maxed out. I could take it or leave it because I made other arrangements.

The point is - the safety net lives for those who really are in need of it. That is a good thing especially as the .1% take more and more and leave much of the population without ANY means.
Surprisingly, I learned that the Pastor of the church that I went to a few years ago said he did not have Social Security taken out of his check. I asked him if he would be receiving Social Security benefits and he said no. He said he would have to rely on savings in his old age. And I guess IRA's or investments, if any.

I also learned this: Do Pastors pay into Social Security? No. A church cannot pay FICA for someone who is a minister for tax purposes. By law, ministers are always treated as self-employed for Social Security purposes and therefore are subject to SECA taxes on their ministerial earnings.

Perhaps someone here can explain it better than I can. Are there other jobs where you don't pay into Social Security? It sounds voluntary to opt out?

Old Today, 05:57 AM

308 posts, read 147,568 times
Yes. Some civil service employees, police, fire, and teachers do not pay into SS. There may be more.

Old Today, 06:00 AM

30,275 posts, read 16,690,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Quit thinking only of yourself. SS has kept millions out of poverty. The program needs fixing and it needs cuts in payouts to rich people and some tax increases.
Uh huh

Thinking of myself? lol no, that's what you are doing when you call for the robbery of others to fund the great ponzi lie a.k.a. Social Security. And on the contrary I want everyone to have the freedom to opt out and to spend or invest their own dollars as they see fit.

And look how altruistic you are with comments like "needs cuts in payouts" "tax increases"
Sell it somewhere else.

Old Today, 07:33 AM

1,530 posts, read 428,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
That's a myth .
I heard the truth that it is all being safeguarded in a SSI " Lockbox " from the same democrat who gave the truth on climate change .
So you know you can trust him .
The country was running on a near balanced budget and had huge surpluses in 2000. Then the Bush tax cuts blew through it all and now our deficits have exploded.

Old Today, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
Yes. Some civil service employees, police, fire, and teachers do not pay into SS. There may be more.
Similar situation here. I paid 25 years into a teacher pension(and now draw on it) but WEP has rendered my 50 quarters of social security (from other various jobs) and spousal benefits moot.

Old Today, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Crowd source funding, make a donation to a worthy cause, support a church, etc. there are many moral ways to help others in need.
And I have no doubt people would be more altruistic once Caesar stops taking from them for his own causes.
And you’ll go first...right?

Old Today, 07:56 AM

67,132 posts, read 30,757,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
There wouldn't be a "crisis" if the government would just tax ALL earnings, not just up to $132,900
That would also remove the cap on SS benefits and would crash the system even faster.

Old Today, 09:42 AM

3,515 posts, read 2,388,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Congratulations. You just ruined your economy and are spending even more money on State and federal unemployment benefits.

No, it was not, but thanks for fantasizing just the same.

The original design of Social Security by a Republican governor and Republican Statelegislature was to benefit the Middle Class and Lower Class.

That particular State did not have dozens of publicly-traded corporations employing 1,000s of workers and it wouldn't matter if they did, because union pension plans did not exist at that time.

In fact, I don't believe there were any at all, except maybe Kresge had few stores there.

It was all farmers, Mom & Pop shops and small to medium-size manufacturing and trades.

The legislature was very forward-thinking and saw societal changes that necessitated a social security program.

More than two dozen States followed suit.

Then, in 1928 when FDR was elected governor of New York, he directed the legislature to formulate a social security plan as did several other States.

By 1935, there were 35 States with social security programs, 7 States with pending legislation and 6 States, mostly the least populated States, had appointed commissions to study social security programs.

So, you're a Millionaire. Who would have guessed.

Why don't you want to address the moral and ethical issues of investing?

All you need is a 1.8%-2.2% FICA tax increase and Social Security is solvent for the next 400 years without the need for any future tax increases.

Maybe the Millennials and Gen X's should get better jobs, and pay more into the system. If they can get out of their moms house, and their face out of their phones. Its now down to a 3 to 1 ratio. Hurry up, chop, chop! Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies